Dating a guy with clinical depression. What do I do?

He told me he has had clinical depression all his life. Currently he's not feeling well and is sad all the time. I haven't seen him for weeks and he pushes me away and isn't showing much interest in me. I'm trying to be supportive but it doesn't help. What do I do? Do I just back off?

13

Most Helpful Guy

• You have to be a part of his bubble. Just go with the flow. Feed him, help him sleep if he can... and be the light in his darkness

Depression is not only about being sad, it's drains your capacity to concentrate properly... keeps things light hearted,, in fact try to talk about it at the least you can

Most Helpful Girl

• I suffer from depression and its not easy to open up or want to be around people. But you do it because you know that you have to work to survive. He may have a lot on his mind. It could be his work, school, family life. Its hard to tell. But definitely I would not keep pressing him to talk. He will open up when he is ready. people who have clinical depression are moody and do not want to be bothered.

What Guys Said 2

• Get him to exercist, a lot. At least an hour of vigorous exercise each day. Do it with him.
    Also, have him take at least 8000mg of fish oil (in capsules) each day (four after breakfast, four after dinner).

• I have depression too, and it's hard. He should try his best to at least try and let you into his life. A good woman will work wonders

• A big thing that's depressing him is that he can't find a job:/

• The best thing you can do is just do it. Doing actually makes things better

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!