If you were having sex with someone and had been dating them for about 6 weeks.. would you be open to meeting their parents if they asked?

Why?

• Yes
  • Nope
More curious about this question: what does it mean if he's not open to it?
okay so update: he told me he associates meeting the parents with a sit down discussion about the future/intentions. Should i let it slide? thats not what i meant for it to be but i feel like if i force the situation he'll be uncomfortable.

1528

Most Helpful Guy

• 6 weeks seems a bit too soon, sure your relationship might be defined but it's still in that stage where you're still getting to know things about each other. Factoring sex in the relationship doesn't really change that... I'd say wait about 3 months.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd be open to asking the question but completely respect their decision to decline. It's early in the game, you can extend the invitation if you feel comfortable doing so but I think it's unfair to try and push him into a conversation he doesn't quite seem ready for

What Guys Said 27

• Only if we established that we are in a committed relationship. No point taking that step if it's not a set in stone relationship

• For the update, why is he making it seem like this whole thing is some sort of business arraignment? Lol it's not that difficult. Ask you to be his girlfriend, and at minimum of 5-6 months he asks to meet your parents. What is there to discuss?

• right... he makes it seem like everything is so specifically arranged and it will be set in stone after he decides something. its weird and makes me feel kinda closed off tbh. he's kinda pushing me away.

• Like what is he gonna bring some documents for you and your parents to sign or something? A relationship is not that difficult

Ask him what he wants to talk about with your parents

• i would because i would like to see the part of them they were trying to hide so well and no one batter than family can embarrass them lol

• I'd never have sex with someone I'm courting in the first place, and I don't know 6 weeks is to soon in my opinion wait until your serious with him at least 3 months.

If your going to meet the parents you need to make sure he's going to stick around first.

• yes. i'd be open to meeting them after six weeks without sex being in the picture

• I don't see why not... as long as I'm presented as their exclusive boyfriend.

"Mom, Dad, this is the guy I've hooking up with for the past few weeks"

• Let things happen organically. Don't be so rigid in making time lines. You'll complicate things if you overthink them.

You should asked if he was ok meeting your parents before telling him he had to. Again it's a little ridiculous the sitting down and having discussions about the future at 6 weeks.

Then again maybe he got what he wantrd and will continue to get it until he's bored.

• 6 weeks seems very quick to be meeting parents in my opinion.

• ahaha hope it was at least satisfying for you if not mindblowing? I know you thought a lot about virginity but don't regret what you did, because you're still the same person as before.

Anyway, yeah... take it as it goes, everything is still golden at this point really. Throw yourself into other aspects of your life (work, fitness etc.) so you don't have TIME to dwell on it.

• true... such great advice. i should be worrying more about myself anyways. thank you :)

• If I liked them a lot, meeting their parents would be cool. That could even be before a second date.

• I wouldn't be upset. Try telling him why you want him to meet your parents.

• First, congrats on your first time.. I hope you enjoyed it.

Whether or not I was having sex with her wouldn't matter to me when deciding to meet family. It's when you're ready for that step of the relationship

• @puppylove94... I'm confused by your update question. What isn't what you intended it to be? Did you invite him to meet your parents or he wants to meet yours?

• no im still the one that wants to move faster. i asked him to meet my parents and he won't.. he says its too soon

• @puppylove94... gotcha. Now I understand. I know he's the guy you lost your virginity to, but I think he's being a bit unfair. He may not be ready for a true relationship yet, and really needed to have sex. Yes, I know he waited 6 weeks with you, but that isn't a long time.

I genuinely hope he cares about you and didn't use you. But, you need to do what is right for you. If that's important to you and you've communicated that to him, and he still won't meet them.. may be time to move on

• I would, no problems, I'd be with her enough to do it.

• He is not serious about the relationship, or just into sex.

• Depends. If in meeting the parents it's something like, this is my girlfriend Puppylove, then it can be awkward. If it's something like, I stopped by and this girl I've been hanging with happens to be with me, then no big deal.

• Depends on how well it's been going within those 6 weeks

• Maybe he is just nervous?

• Sure. Why not?

• I love meeting people.

• Oh yes! I would want to meat her parents before having sex with her.

• Maybe.

• I don't see why not , I would wait at least three months before asking if they wanted to meet my mother but that's only because I want to actually get to know a woman a little longer and date her and see how much we have in common and the levels of compatability

• yes im good enough to bring home to mom and dad

• I wouldn't be having sex with a woman after 6 weeks, but I'd be more than willing I meet her parents.

• Yes. Meeting parents should always be an open option. But don't meet parents because you are having sex but meet parents because you need to tell them that you are in love.

• i would never have sex with anyone whom im dating. because im waiting till marriage. but in a parallel universe if i done that, then sure i would meet their parents, it depends on the relationship between us

• It really depends on the type of relationship. But generally NO, not as early as 6 weeks...

• no it's my relationship is private and has sod all to with anyone

• no, not really

• Wait the 33 year old you are dating parents are still alive?

What Girls Said 14

• No. I dont wanna meet parents until im engaged lol.

• I am pretty much open to meeting my partner's family and friends right off the bat, after we have dated at least a few days. I'm not pushy about it either.

• It sounds like this guy has a really specific and uncomfortable idea about what it means to "meet the parents". If that's not what it would be like for him to meet your parents, maybe explaining that to him would help smooth things over.

• I would but I'd be so nervous 😂 then again, I'd be nervous whether we were together 6 years or 6 weeks to meet them 😂

• Take your time. There's no rush. What is 6 weeks anyway? This is the time you should spend meeting the other person without complicating things with meeting the family, or talking about the very distant future. Let things flow. Do you know things like what kind of smiles he has? Or what makes him happy even if it's something totally random? Take your time to know him.

• Depend how much I love him, if I just like him. I would prefer to wait a bit because when you settled everything like that it's generally when you're in a serious relationship not just dating.

• Nope. Way too soonn for my liking.

• Depends. I'd be inclined to say no, but I might meet them as a friend.

• it depends if you have your own place or not... still living with parents always decreases the amount of time you leave between dating and meeting the parents as its inevitable if you want to have sex (unless you book a hotel or something £££)

• Eh sure I guess.

• Bring it on

• he's not into meeting your parents or he's not into introducing you to his?

• he's not meeting mine

• he's probably nervous your dad is going to interrogate him. If its important to you and you know your parents will be cool, just tell him to relax and maybe make sure your parents are cool towards him... if you can

• I would if they asked me too, I wouldn't offer to meet them that soon or offer them to meet mine.

• first, what is his intention for this relationship? Is he looking for something serious or not?

6 weeks is way too soon, and someone worrying too much like this... you're getting yourself into trouble, might push him away.