Have you ever been attracted to someone just based on that person's personality and not their looks?

107155

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I have experienced that before. Looks do matter to a certain extent but personality matters much more. I've found myself attracted to several men who were about average physically but far above average in their personality. Looks fade so at the end of the day, personality is really what will determine the success of a long-term relationship.

What Guys Said 155

• I would say more often than not a girls personality enhances how she looks in the eye of the beholder. Only once a personality is revealed can you judge the entire package before you.

• Sort of. What I mean is there have been times where at first I wouldn't have been that attracted to or interested in a girl just based on looks alone, but after spending time around her and becoming more attracted to her personality wise, it made her overall appearance more attractive. Does that make sense at all? :)

• i did ine time a few years ago. it was online during that whole put a fake picture on your profile phase of the internet lol it still happens but it was more popular back then,. anyway i never saw this girls actual picture till a year after we started talking or i saw her in a web cam. it was amazing she liked me even more and i liked her even more but til then we were super close and had a LDR going on.

and even more so after we saw each other the first time. it is pretty cool getting to know someone before you see them so there can be some connection there with out judging there looks.

• I never thought I would. I started online dating and, at first I would ask for a pic early on, but later, I started not caring about that sort of thing. I found that getting to know them and having that satisfaction of keeping a tighter personal connection through taking on endeavors through their personality, through their foibles and idiosyncrasies pertaining to the way they type or how they respond to a certain topic is so much more fun! I started asking for pics later on. /Sometimes/, you'd get what most dudes wouldn't go for. A really chubby girl or someone who'd people find as unattractive, but to me, they were incredible because of what I had built prior to this. The reasons why it wouldn't work out is distance problems and one of them turned out to be a hoe. Other than that, the ones that weren't, distance was the issue. Beautiful people though. I started going based off of that. I didn't care much for personal appearance and I still don't.

• It's the emotional connection or mental connection that I care for. Honestly, this is what added on to me finding myself to be pansexual. I fell for a guy. I didn't expect to fall for him, but I did because he is incredible.

• Never. In theory if I could be attracted to a person by personality alone, I would be bisexual, since I've met some guys with wonderful personalities.

Looks and personality are all a blur to me, and I have never been attracted to a person solely for their looks. However, it matters that she's female, looks like one, talks like one, etc.

• Most girls who deeply attracted me did so over time, not over first impressions. Knowing them on a deeper level than what I can discern from first impressions does help tremendously for me. But even then a lot of what attracts me (not keeps me around) are outward characteristics: how she looks, how she walks, the sound of her voice, how she smiles, her posture, charisma, her social tendencies, etc. A lot of it is still based on outward characteristics though they go far beyond the shape of her body.

• For anyone who says "yes" to this question, I would assume they are bisexual, since it shouldn't matter whether the person resembles a male or a female in that case.

• What other better option is there? the rest of them fade dont they. Matter of fact... if a person has "looks" thats a guaranteed red flag for me already... so if the personality is great, then i can ignore the flag.
    Dealing with the shit now... apparently my friends with benefits has always been liked for looks... I've never gotten that... or maybe its just me.

• ABSOLUTELY. A sexy or funny personality has also changed my perspective of their looks. A woman with a great personality certainly causes erection regardless of looks.

• No, I never have been attracted to a girl solely based on their personality.

I have befriended girls due to their personality, and I get along with girls I don't find physically attractive. On the other hand, there are many girls I consider hot, and I don't like their personalities.

But I can't say I've ever been attracted to a girl based on her personality. This seems to be more common with females than males (Which makes sense, since males are more visual).

• No, unless i never knew there looks.
    But i have recently had something where i thought she was just looking average to very interesting persue material after i discovered we where mentally compatible.

There also is a case with someone a lot older then me where we had a great mental connection which created mental attraction but nothing physical.

So all in all i can say unless i deem the person physically compatible it doesn't take off anywhere other then me wanting to spend time with them on a mental level. For romantic attraction / love interest it needs to be both physical and mental where mental is more important. As long as the girl is a 6 or up ill be able to date her if we have a great mental connection.

• I have. When someone makes you feel good about yourself and you like being around that person regardless of their looks than it's usually a good relationship.

• No, not yet. However, I've seen girls with other eyes (meaning that I saw them more attractive than I already thought) because of their personality.

• yea my current girlfriend. I guess I'm at that point in my life where someone's personality determines how I see them and because of that I see my girlfriend as the most beautiful woman ever.

• Yes, many times.

• I met a girl once who wasn't attractive and didn't took care on her appearance at all, but she knew all the obscure movies I like.
    It made me want to kiss her right on the spot.

• My first crush! She had an awesome personality quirky, mischievous, caring. She was average in looks but to me she was the most beautiful! I have observed this you automatically start every aspect of the person you have a crush on. ☺

• all the time... but I would lie if I said the looks don't play a part in it...30% of the decision is based on looks... personality has a bigger 70% cz looks fade in time but not the personality... its very important.

• Yes, all of the time. There is a certain baseline for looks. For me, she can't be fat. Even with that, though, there can be a little extra weight if her personality is attractive enough - if she is smart and funny, and has opinions, those things are much more attractive than perfect hair or clothes, for example.

• Yes. A lot of girls underestimate how important having a good personality is. I met a lot of plank boards

• I will be honest. I have fell in love with personality but it wasn't the only thing. A big factor of attraction came from looks. However, I will say that sexiness does come from personality since many women I liked had kinkiness in their way of expression. There is no such thing as liking someone for personality only and it is in damn human nature. When you see a hot guy with a hot girl we never say "Oo! That man has a nice personality to be with a girl like that" instead we say "wow he has a nice face, he is tall, and maybe he may have an okay personality".

• I met my first girlfriend through online gaming, and talked to her for about a month before we showed our faces to eachother. I was somewhat attracted to her personality before I saw her face, but wasn't ready to make a move until I knew what I was getting into.

Anyway, she ended up being decent looking. She was above average, but not enough that I would have still gone out with her if I had seen her before I was hooked on her personality.

• No, not really.

• There looks catch my attention , i stay in love with their personality

• Definitely! Probably been more attracted to a girls personality than her appearance. Don't get me wrong she needs to do them minimum of clean hygiene as with anyone.

• Nope. There has to be at least some physical attraction in addition to good personality. Can't completely lack one or the other.

• Yeah but its rare its like she has to be a 5/10 and I count that as an indifferent level of attraction, but she can't be below average or ugly. Even if she has the best personality. Everyone is shallow and has their own things that they are shallow about. This is what I am shallow over. Sue me and arrest me.

• yup still attracted to her
    need courage to ask her out
    and this reminds me of a quote
    I fell in love with your mind and personality
    and your looks are just a bonus

compared to my ex with whom i broke up in dec last week 2016
    she ain't that beautiful , but she's a much better person

• That would mean that I have no sex or gender preference. I wouldn't be heterosexual. So no.

• Everyone has. Otherwise we wouldn't like our family members and friends. As for romantic attraction. Generally you'd perceive the person as physically attractive, but there are plenty of couples that aren't physically attracted to each other.

• Most of my life. LOL

But now I am focusing on both things.

• I prefer both. Personality is important to me as is physical attractiveness. Both is so important to me in a potential girlfriend.

• More from Guys
    125

What Girls Said 106

• Yup.

• yes.. I am experiencing this attraction now. I never found him attractive before he was just another guy but once I started talking to him and we got close. It was like his look and height did not matter anymore. He seemed beautiful to me.. in fact in my eyes he became perfect.. perfect for me... so yes I have been attracted to someone for their personality and not their looks.

• several times. Im very attracted to intelligence and confidence in a man and when a man is comfortable in his own skin despite his looks, I can be attracted to him.

• What do you mean by intelligence? Like knowing facts and figures, or know big words?

• At 18 I was looking for a serious relationship. one that would last till we were ready to get married. Unfortunately that didn't happen cuz I ended up with a guy that had absolutely NO idea what he wanted in life and a girl and only wanted to mess around with me as well as other girls. worst part, I was entirely in love with him and was more than ready to spend the rest of my life with him. But he dumped me after leading me on for an entire year. He was three years older too. It made me only want to date a guy that was at least 5 years older. My next boyfriend was actually 7 years older but still a big baby. And now, my current and most mature boyfriend ever is 18! He's 18 and already has a plan as to what he wants and where his life is headed. He might not have it all figured out but whats important is that he's faithful and he is more than willing to figure it all out. what I've learned? Maturity doesn't always come with age... everyone grows up at different times and some never even do.

• I need to be physically attracted to a guy to feel that spark and butterflies. Just personality isn't really enough but that is the most important factor.

• yeh im with you on that

• YOU ARE RIGHT, MOST WOMEN HERE ARE JUST Bull Shitting about personality,
      they have to be physically attracted to a guy if they want to hook up with him

• @Hungry_Shark Not just hooking up. I think any logical person who knows about love realizes you need attraction in a healthy relationship...

• Yes and no. Like.. the first thing I notice is someone's eyes. They literally tell a story about what a person can be like *not always accurate but 99% I'm correct* . Based on the vibe I get from them I know we match or not. Looks are the 2nd thing I thing (without knowing them). So yes for a split second.

But to find someone attractive there has to be a little attraction to their looks as well. At least I know I can't like someone only for their personality (relationship wise). If their looks don't do anything for me, then what is the point of dating them. Then we might as well be friends who really enjoy eachothers personality. I know it sounds selfish and crude but I can't help it.

• Yes I got with a guy cos he seemed like a nice guy my mate was telling me he was nice as she was going out with his mate. He was always nice to me and although looks wise I wasn't attracted to him I got with him purely for personality turns out the nice guy act was just an act underneath it when I got to know the real him he was selfish, arrogant and a cheater. So I learned my lesson now I go for a combination of both I still lean more towards personality but there has to be a physical connection there aswell. And I make sure I really get to know them and they don't have a whole different side to their personality that they keep hidden

• Yes. Lots of times. Their appearance is strongly correlated with how I physically perceive him.

The current guy I am seeing, I had zero attraction to him. No sexual attraction at all. Now that I know him as a person, I find him incredibly attractive and check him out all the time.

• Yes. Me and my boyfriend met online. We had never even seen pictures of each other and I fell hard for just his voice and personality. He confessed that he liked me and we met up in person to see if we could work. The connection we had online was there instantly in person too. It was all just really natural and easy for us. He is extremely physically attractive but it's still his personality that got me in the first place and vise versa.

• Can't say it was personality only but I can say that there was one guy that caught my interest because of looks (he wasn't all that though) but his personality was so alike mine (and so we clicked) that it was the main reason why I often thought about him. It sorta got confusing later because when he did hit on me, I wasn't sure how much I wanted to shag him physically... I sorta mainly wanted to chill with him all the time, but then I didn't mind shagging him either.
    Did not shag him, but I still think about him and sorta regret it, but then I sorta still don't know if I want to shag him... confusing.
    Usually when I like the guy I imagine us being together physically and then maybe chilling too, but with this guy I couldn't picture us really having sex but I craved to chat to him and get to know him etc.

• Yes, personality is very important, a person can be very good looking but with no personality it a no go.

• For me personality is most important. If he is kind, caring, respective, loyal, a shared deep understanding, a deep emotionally connection, and he can make me laugh more then likely he will be very sexy to me.

• Lol yes, many times. I remember one guy who I was completely uninterested in and then we just started talking and we got along really well and I realized that I had the hugest crush on him.

• I had and after a year of dating he show his true colours which was a asshole. Since then I don't fucking date people I find ugly anymore. I don't know why I wasted 3 years with someone I didn't like his personality anymore or thought he was good looking anyway.

• Always. I'm sapeosexual, I'm attracted to intellect and never looks.

• Yeah, I wasn't looking at all and just had a bad experience with a guy. Then I met "him" and we started off as friends, I never thought I would actually fall in love with him..

• Personality gets me every time. If I just straight up click with someone then I looks don't necessarily come into play. If I love someone's personality or their vibe or whatever then I just get heart eyes. I know loads of people have said to me why was I with my ex and I was out of his league but I didn't see it that way, I just got heart eyes for him and yeah he's pretty average in looks really.

• Yeah, like my boyfriend now. I guess most girls would find him attractive cause perfect smile, great skin, athletic body (everyday in the gym)... and to me he looks fine. But nothing extraordinary. We only started talking cause he texted in the moment I was really bored. So I was like yeey chat. And he turned out to be a really cool dude. But what attracts me even more is how we make love.

• It has happened once before.

• I have and I really wanted to date them but when it really came down to it my body didn't agree with my brain, so that's why at least in my case real attraction has to be both mental and physical before it can work.

• Yep. My crush right now in fact. I started falling for him when I found out that we have so many similarities and how he can always make me laugh over text. after we started hanging out in real life though, I completely fell for his personality haha xD even though he's cute af I actually feel more attraction towards him as a whole, mainly his personality.

• I've been attracted to a few guys before who I wouldn't of thought was very hot or that attractive at first, but their personality is what really made me like them.

• Yes ❤ I didn't know how he looked like at first, but I'm glad he ended up being handsome 😍

• Definitely. I watch from a distance and get to know someone and if I enjoy their personality or who they are, there is automatically an attraction happening. I feel like, it's the little thinga someone do that completely make it worth it.

• Yep, and I feel like most people would, as it's more important to like someone for their aspirations and overall personality rather than their outward appearance. Not to say we don't judge others for how they look, because honestly we all do. However, good looks don't guarantee interest -- a kind and thoughtful personality does.

• No. looks are always a factor for attraction for me.

• Yes.. It surprised me at first because I always thought I had a type. I mean I guess I do have a type. Whoever makes me smile, is kind, is romantic, and compassionate.. That is my type! 😁

• Of course!

Their personality is what matters to me, a guy that is sweet, respects me and makes me smile! Looking at all the guys I have liked- it was based off their personality.

• It has never happened before, as I had a quite definite type and I used to be interested only in guys who I thought were good looking. But after 3 years of relationship with someone I thought was good looking but that I have never learned to love, nowadays I have found myself entangled in a crush for someone I don't find particularly attractive. I have learned to know him while sharing classes with him everyday and it's his personality that has dragged me into this. Sure, he's tall and he has some qualities, but I wouldn't pick him for his looks. So definitely, there is such a possibility.

• no, i found him somewhat attractive but wasn't aware of it at first and mistook it for a neutral feeling.

• That's how I can be too sometimes. I call that like average looking people its just like an indifferent way of looking at them.

• Yep I think that's the reason I'm attracted to anyone tbh.

• More from Girls
    76