Is it true you don't know what you have until its gone?

Most Helpful Girl

• That for me is absolutely true. Prime example right here. I had someone for 5 years and decided to get up and leave. We decided to be together again after my six month absence, and it didn't go well.

As with this saying, you live and you learn. Just always be stronger and brave and take everything as a lesson learned. It will be beneficial years from now.

What Guys Said 21

• In most cases. It's easy to not consider what you've got and may have taken it for granted. When it's gone you notice, may or may not be in a day or a week but at some point when it's gone you realise and appreciate what you had.

• Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I know people who got back together after they split because then they realized they "should be together". Other times after splitting, they realize that it is wonderful to not have to be with that person any longer.

• In many cases, yes. We tend to become complacent and that causes us to lose than person or thing.

• It is at least once.
    If you got burned bad enough, then you learn that lesson and are less likely to be so unobservant in the future.

• Yes, because only when you have to do without & feel the struggle do you miss what you had. But people that lose the most are stronger if they learn to live and maintain what they have left positively

• Very true

• www.court-records.net/.../miles-shrug(e).gif

It's true some extent but I think it only really happens if you take something for granted.

www.court-records.net/.../miles-crossed(c).gif

Maybe this is why I barely miss things. I appreciate so many things that I have I life so when I lose them, I feel bad but not in a way where I felt I didn't care enough when I had them.

• No. I mean, it's true for some, but for those who appreciate what they have, who are aware of what they have and don't take things for granted, then no, it's not true.
    It's usually conceited people who would think that is true, because they think they deserve everything, they take everything for granted, and when those things are gone and they get slapped in the face by reality, they realize what they really had.

• yes very true

• 100 %

• Yeah

• Only if you're Cinderella.

• Lol yup

• YES. 100% TRUE.

• yeah absolutely for good and bad lol

• yeah of course lost so many things lol

• I believe so yes

• In some cases yes

• yes and no, it really depends on how healthy the relationship is

• It is a lesson that I enjoy teaching people

• Yeah it's definitely a truthful saying, I know miss what I had and wouldn't if I didn't have it before

What Girls Said 8

• Only if you took those things for granted.

• No you knew you got it you just thought you wouldn't loose it

• Some say you don't know how miserable you were until your significant other is gone.

• not always. ..

• Yes and no depending on how the relationship was

• so freaking true!!!

• It is for most people.

• Yes, I think so.
    In a way, I think my own parents took our relationship for granted. Maybe I did too.
    Hopefully, the important thing is that we realize it later than never.