How should I tell a guy that I don't want to date him?

We have been best friends for a very long time and recently we admitted to each other that we have been getting feelings for each other. I really do like him and he wants to date me but I'm not interested in dating anyone right now. I like my freedom. I'm young and I enjoy flirting with other people and hanging out with my guy friends and girl friends and it's not on my agenda right now to commit to someone. I've thought about it constantly and this is the decision I've come to. Yes, maybe it is immature of me but I am loving myself right now and I love it.

I still want us to be great friends though so how do I tell him why I don't want to date him? Please help.

Most Helpful Guy

• Act gross around him so he doesn't want to date you anymore. Pick your nose and fart and stuff.

What Guys Said 13

• this is actually quite the opposite of an immature decision!
    good for you for deciding that you aren't up for a relationship at the moment.

I'd simply tell him the truth that you aren't looking for a commited relationship and are enjoying being single.

Make sure to tell him you still absolutely want to stay friends and that you're grateful for his friendship.

• "i'm sorry but I'm a lesbian."
    or
    "I'm sorry, but I am thinking about becoming a nun. I don't want to complicate my life right now."
    or
    "Sure, I might date you, but I think my boyfriend might have an issue with that and I know he's not into MFM."

• like you said you young and have a life time to b with someone just enjoy it while you can. because you can't have a real relationship till you experience the fun filed life which is know as im a teen dont fuck with me or i will throw a tantrum and break your car window lol. kidding about that part but yeah you got to live through some heart breaks and learn from the pain so you can handle whats coming in a real relationship.

this song says it best though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYRUzAseUVM

enjoy your life

• The best advice I can give you is to be direct and honest, but not hateful. Just let him know that you really appreciate the offer, but you are not interested in him that way, and you wanted to let him know now before anything else develops because then you are both setting yourselves up for a no win sort of situation.

• Let him know that you're not ready for anything serious right now. You are not at a point in life where you are ready to commit to anything and that you want to enjoy this while you can.
    All that happens when people try to jump into something when they are at a stage like this is hurt the other person.

• Simply have an honest talk with him, and explain that you like being friends with him but you just not interested in a relationship at the moment.

• Just tell him you're not looking for a relationship rn

• You should take off your shirt and go "bom chicka wah wah".

• Be a no girl. And its not much tough.

• I guess say that you dont want to date anyone for a while. I'm really not sure i have no experience with someone having feelings for me and wanting to date me.

• ya its better then leading him on, its hurts more if you let it go on, just stay friends

• tell him he is ugly

• The truth is you don't like him, or not enough.

You shouldn't be so direct, so, well, your suggestion seems OK ("I don't want to date abybody now").

What Girls Said 3

• Exactly how you stated it on here. Your being honest he can't hate that. Who knows what the future holds

• Tell him you value your friendship and don't want to ruin it by dating. If he cares about you he'll understand

• This may hurt your friendship but I def. don't think you should change your mind either.

I'd tell him that you really care about him but you just aren't at that place in your life where you are ready to take the next step but that you except that he is and don't expect him to wait for you but that you really want him in your life still if that is at all possible.