Would you date a girl with a learning disability?

She was drop dead gorgeous, kind, sweet, could be feisty and independent, very motherly, loved animals, virgin, loyal, had a sense of humor, great listener, and you could have intellectual conversations with her.

Down sides: wasn't too good In academics, struggled on school/college, can't do simple mental math/sucks at math in general, zones out when people talk to her, finds it sometimes hard to grasp or comprehend conversation especially if it's directions or instructions or a little complex, has social anxiety (but seems social and is always willing to do fun stuff etc), kind of a slow learner etc?

Would you date her? It's not like she's a retard or anything. She's like every other normal cool girl , but just has a learning disability.

315

Most Helpful Guy

• if she is everything you have described in your first paragraph then she is almost a goddess lol

the fact she isn't good in academics doesn't mean much. i really don't mind about it. i'm smart enough to make decisions for both of us. also, even if she is not fast to get witty jokes well... that's not much a problem. even though i like to do a lots of witty jokes.

if she has social anxiety, it's not a big deal for me too. i don't have social anxiety but i'm aware i have other issues. i would help her in her social anxiety problem whereas she can help me in my personal issues.

at last, if she is slow to learn new knowledge that's fine. we have all the time in the world lol i would only not tolerate so much if she doesn't learn to do cooking, cleaning and other physical stuff :D

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 14

• Yes, so long as she knows to control her temper when I try to help her out. As it would be kind of exhausting if she pushes me away every time I try to help her out. As that would make the relationship more of slog than fun. Not to mention that type of stress would probably make us both flare out and fight for no reason.

• No temper! So this wouldn't bother you? Like at all? The bad mental math, slow learner, and inability to sometimes grasp what someone is saying to her?

• Well I'd just teach her how to do the mental math. I mean there are tricks to do it long form.

• It depends on the person. I figure as long as it doesn't not effect the relationship that can be created it wouldn't be an issue. Thinks less deep but rather thinks more on the surface in the moment

I know a few girls that are kinda slow or just not deep thinkers or high achievers --> not to be mean... But these girls often times date dudes that are also like minded and seem to have no issues

• She's not stupid. It's just her learning disability really puts her at a disadvantage. Otherwise she's a deep thinker, likes to talk philosophically, dreams of achieving high (but with the disability it's hard ), has class, morals and values, mature but can be extremely fun/goofy/silly etc.

• So, none of the things mentioned in the downsides turns you off?

• What I really meant to say is that it depends if the person you are with values Intelligence (in her case she has the ability to be smart but the disability is holding her back which is unfortunate). For some guys the ability to be intelligent might be important

It really depends --> being on the same page is important, I know once I met a girl... she was rather normal in every way but there was something about her that was a touch off. It so happens that she was slightly deprived of oxygen when a baby and it had an effect on her

--> now for the normal person it seems like nothing BUT someone who can really notice things will see her sometimes say things that are either not really funny or don't make too much sense BUT to her they do

--> it's all about finding someone that works for you i guess

• of course, why not? Patience, understanding and commitment are the keys to a healthy relationship.

• No way... Person with learning disability will not keep their track of time always forgottening... Meet wrong friends that ruined their reputation and end up in jail ( drug) Moody... Arguments, rude, lying, you name it! I CAN'T STAND THEM!!!

• Nah, this girl isn't like that. She's punctual and very aware and never does bad things like drugs etc.

• Not all people who have learning disabilities are the same.
      I have FAS (fetal alcohol syndrome)
      Doctors did not think I would be able to go to school let alone graduate with my dogwood
      but not only have I done that but I have gone to school to be an interior decorator I also went to school to be a health care assistant and I have all my life guarding certificates
      Yes I may have a hard time doing some things but that dose not mean you can pout me in a box
      I bet you are not good at everything you do ether
      People like you make me sick!
      Thinking that you are gods gift to man and everyone who is different should be thrown out like trash
      Have you ever thought people with disabilities might have not asked for it? I know I did not but lots of us are trying to better ourselves but it's hard if we have people like you making us feel like we are nothing

• I'm off the dating market, but if I were single, I would date a girl like that. It depends on how severe her issues were, and if we could work around those issues.

• I would and I have done this before it was brief and ended with a happy note. I won't lie it was a little frustrating but it was worth it as she genuinely tried her best and understood that I was doing my best.

• I love to marry her. She just would have to loose the feisty attitude. I like my woman submissive not argumative.

• Playfully fiesty. Not up in your face kind like disrespectful or bossy etc.

• None of the other downsides bothered you?

• I had a learning disability growing up not because I was stupid but because I had emotional problems that cause me not to focus. But as I got older it got better. Besides me and you have a lot in common lol... I suck at math too.

Lastly, if you didn't have those defects you probably would've been perfect in My opinion.

So embrace your defects and shortcomings because we all have them.

• I don't see why not

• I'd keep her around as a play pretty or a mistress.

• Sure. We're all not perfect. We all have our shortcomings.

• Yeah I would definitely date a girl with a learning disability

• yes i would i got acute adhd and have most of the stuff listed pm me if the person wants to chat

• I wouldn't mind befriending a girl like that, but I'd probably never date her. I'm only attracted to girls who are as intelligent, or more intelligent, than I am. While I understand that having a learning disability is not analogous to less intelligence per se, I need intellectually stimulating conversation in a relationship, and if a girl cannot provide that, than I couldn't date her. End of story.

I know you said that "you could have intellectual conversations with her," but is that really true? If she "zones out when people talk to her," and "sometimes finds it hard to grasp or comprehend conversation," could she really hold an intellectual conversation?

• Sounds like she would be fine to date or go out with once you realize that so it shouldn't be a problem

What Girls Said 2

• What kind of learning disability? How severe?

• It's not so bad. Pretty bad to make the girl want to cry eveery night for not being like the others, but not bad enough for others to realize. No diagnoses yet. Probably auditory processing disorder or aphasia (without the stroke or accident part)

• Ah, I see. Yes, she has a little of this too. Wonder if there is a cure for it. Anways I'm happy that it doesn't take a toll on you. :)

• No there is no cure as far as I'm aware.
      Just gotta adapt and maybe out grow some of its effects

• I am not sure. ı must love her a lot.