Does long distance relationship work out?

Hi so I was wondering if long distance relationships will work out because I'm dating a guy and he lives 4 hours from where I live and every night we video chat so do u guys think it will work out😊😉

159

Most Helpful Guy

• It all depends, most likely it will fail only because the not seeing the person in person, lol, after awhile takes it toll on each individual. If you are both committed to making it work I see no problem with it not working out, but it will be hard the closer you two get.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on the circumstances. If both people are 100% invested, it can work out but long-distance relationships are very difficult. Communication is important in any relationship but when you're long distance, it's even more essential.

Typically, long-distance relationships only work out for the short-term. There should be a realistic plan for one person to move closer to the other person at SOME point. For instance, I'm currently in a long-distance relationship but I have plans to move in with him very soon. We have been long-distance for about a year and a half and it's been tough but it will be worth it when we are actually living together.

I'll be honest, at your age, it's more unlikely that it will work out. Not only do young relationships have a higher chance of not working out, but the fact that you're so young AND trying to do long-distance makes those chances even greater. That being said, anything is possible and if you both are totally committed and focused on making it work, then I'm sure you can figure out. :)

What Guys Said 8

• Depends on the effort both people are putting into it.
    It's definitely not easy, and if it's just one person reaching out then it doesn't work.

• four hours isn't bad. now, being 14 without access to your own transportation, it would be extremely difficult. if you were older and able to travel more freely, I'd say four hours is definitely doable, but in your current situation, I wouldn't hold my breath, unless you have a reliable method of transportation.

• just for hours. it can work out...
    need trust loyalty and understanding...

well my ldr failed

• Nah. But don't worry, you won't care in the future when you look back on it.

• it's rare that it works my experience is that it never works but i heard from a couple where it works

• Depends on the distance and if you like each other enough, you'll find a way to make it work.

• If you don't plan on meeting it won't..

• It will if real sex is not important.

What Girls Said 14

• Being in a relationship where you don't spend time with one another is usually not a workable plan, especially when you are so young. This is the time you need to be spending time with friends your age who live near you, and learning how to develop a love relationship out of a concrete friendship. You're probably not going to find your real forever love for 10 or 15 years. Skype is not like real dating, at all.

• They certainly can, and do. At 14 though, I'm guessing the 4 hrs is more of an obstacle than it might be if you were older.

If you're enjoying spending time together, getting to know each other, and it's working for now, just go with it. Enjoy it, no matter the end result. Nobody has a crystal ball, and all you have is now. There are a lot of possibilities, but they are simply possibilities. Have fun with where you are and what you have now. Stress about it only makes it harder.

• Four hours isn't that much of a distance, considering some people date from across the country or even in another country. That said, it can work if both people are willing to put in the effort of seeing each other frequently. You two can meet halfway often as two hours of drive time isn't that far. It'll just be a bit harder for you since you're so young and have to find others to take you.

• Well, 4 hours is NOT that much, considering that are people who date from across the country, with you it's easy, you could just meet halfway and make like 2 hour drive each... but anyways, it all depends on HOW YOU GUYS MET...
    where you together before one of you moved or did you meet online?

• If I'm to be 100% honest, the answer would be no. Couples bonding also have to do with more primal things such as physical contact and pheromones. This is what keeps many relationships going strong. Also, the temptation to cheat will be twice as large. However, I have seen it work out wonderfully, so I suppose if you two are willing to commit it might.
    Good luck!

• If both people are totally serious, it probably will. I was trends with my ldbf for a year, dated him ld for six months, and he's now lived with me for 7 months.

• yes as long as you guys are very serious and extremely in love. writing letters to each other is important too, and making real concrete plans to marry helps.

• I've been in an ldr for almost 3 years with a man I've never met who lives about 6hrs away, so i think it works sometimes. I see you're 14 so I can't guarantee anything, but ldrs are possible. sometimes relationships are shorter when you're young so I don't know

• Yeah it does work. Just trust the guy. My boyfriend lives in another state in my country but our relationship is perfect. (touchwood)

• I dont think it will work out.. all u can do is chatting and talking.. u can't go on a date.. can't cuddle.. u can't kisses

• I've been on a couple of long distance relationships and I've reached the conclusion that they do not work out. They are also not worth it for me anymore. I've suffered a lot on those relationships, and at the end of it I just thought how I could've taken so many opportunities with other people. I hope you're happy with your decision though, that is what counts xx

• Yeah, sure. It works out for some people, but for other no (for instance me... lol 😂).

• no they don't :/

• Four hours is not too far away considering most LDR's are generally a lot further. Usually oceans apart

LDR's are too challenging and difficult to maintain. It's not impossible to make them work, but it's rare they survive the distance.

Over time trust issues develop and insecurties surface. You start to feel envious of people who can spend time in real life with the person, when all you have is phone calls, texts and video calls. That's not enough to strengthen a relationship. You start to crave affection and quality time with the person.

The ultimate goal of a LDR is to close the distance by meeting up regularly , and eventually one person making a huge sacrifice by uprooting to live with or near the othr person. If you both can't meet up there's no point in calling it a relationship.

I was in a LDR , for a year , but we lived in different countries. I don't regret it, because it taught me what doesn't work for me and the type of relationship that can't fulfil me. I'd rather hold onto my heart for a guy who I can hold in my arms. I thrive on affection

If he'd lived 4 hrs away it may have lasted, because I'd either get a train to meet up with him, or drive down to see him. He could do the same too. If he didn't have transport or couldn't afford to get a train to mine I'd be ok travelling to see him, or even drive down to collect him to bring him to mine to stay for a few weeks

I do believe love isn't measured by distance , but you need to build up a strong mutual bond , emotional and mental connection or it'll fail. ❤