What is your favorite cuisine for a first dinner date?

What is your favorite cuisine for a first dinner date?(My girlfriend is an alumna of the University of Florida and a huge Gator fan, so this picture is for her!)

Sometimes, you start with meeting for a cup of coffee, you go for a walk in the park, etc., and if things "click," you eventually progress to a dinner date. Sometimes your first date is a dinner date. A first dinner date is a big deal. She will get to see if you grew up in a barn or if you actually have some manners. You will see if she seems at ease with you when, at the same time, she may feel that she is "under the microscope." Hopefully, you won't spill anything on yourself and you will walk out of the restaurant feeling like you conducted yourself gracefully.

I try to avoid Italian and barbecue because it always end up on my shirt! I love fried chicken but I probably wouldn't feel comfortable casually eating with my fingers on a first date. Of course, I also try to avoid anything that is heavy on the onions or garlic because, if I am lucky enough to get a kiss at the end of the date, I don't want her to remember it because I tasted like tacos! So. . . my usual choice is seafood.

What are your thoughts on the subject? Do you have a preference for cuisine on a first date?

• Fast food
    4%(2)6%(6)Vote8%(4)
  • Seafood
    24%(13)19%(20)Vote14%(7)
  • Steak
    28%(15)25%(26)Vote22%(11)
  • Italian
    20%(11)18%(19)Vote16%(8)
  • Mexican
    6%(3)5%(5)Vote4%(2)
  • Diner/American
    6%(3)9%(9)Vote12%(6)
  • What's a date?/I don't have a preference/I prefer some other cuisine
    12%(7)18%(19)Vote24%(12)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a college student, anything more than casual American is off limits unless I'm cooking

What Girls Said 28

• any of the above would be fine with me, though i prefer something that neither of us have tried before.

on my first date with my now-husband, we went to a veggie place~ neither of us is a vegetarian, but he swore that the food was awesome. and he was absolutely right!

• tl;dr my friend's kid calls me 'auntie velociraptor', so thumbs up for the picture lol.

• My top cuisines; My native cuisine, Spanish, Italian, Mexican, Greek, Balkan. One of these. I don't like fast food. However I would obey my boyfriend, If he wants fast food its ok. P. s. Guy should NOT pay it all!

• It's been a while since a first dinner date but I'd recommend tapas style or small plates/appetizers. Its more social and you can make the date as long or as short as you like ordering a variety of tasty items, one or two at a time, unlike when an entree is finished... what next.

• Steak. That way if they order it medium or above I know we are not gonna work Hahaha

But really tho, nothing messy... so no pasta or Mexican. Something that can be cut up and eaten with a fork and knife.

• Always Italian because I'm Italian and I love you all for voting Italian <3

• Italian. Loads of options so you can't really go wrong in that regards. Also if someone couldn't eat it in front of me... it would be a clear signal they are weird.

• Is that a dinosaur?

• That is what a man sees in his mind when he takes a woman on a dinner date for the first time and, in an instant, realises that she is going to order a lot more than a salad.
      That is not a bad thing, though.
      So many women are afraid to eat in front of man, because they want the man to think that they count every calorie.

• Actually, it looks like a dinosaur head, but it also looks like a cartoon gator head, and my girlfriend is a Florida Gator (college and mascot.)

• I've only been taken on a date to a restaurant a couple of times in my life. Tends to be either pubs or Brazilian restaurants.

• On both of my first dates (only two boyfriends, of which the second one is now my husband) I asked for good old fashioned Fish & Chips. Absolutely Perfect. :)
    And writing this has now made me feel hungry for some. lol

• i'm cheap. pizza works for me.

• I suggested to my now boyfriend that we go to BJ's Brewhouse, a family friendly casual dining restaurant with a familiar pub feeling that is adult enough. We had deep dish pizza and some drinks.

• i want to eat that turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy ! but you can't find that around her. in tokyo italian cuisine is seen as stylish so i just go along with it, i mean i like it but i would prefer steak.

• Whatever involves chicken / salmon / tuna steak, baked potatoes and grilled vegetables. I also like sushi, Mexican, and Indian.

• Personally, I like going to a bar and grill, somewhere that offers a variety of food choices. Because sometimes your date isn't up for Sushi, even though you love it. Or maybe they have an unknown seafood allergy?

• So far I've always had a steak on my dates, so I'm gonna go with steak

• Definitely Italian food.

• I will always go for a nice steak or some fresh fish.
    When I say fresh fish I'm talking something I have caught in the last day or 2.

• Steak and French fries

• steak or Italian yum yum want that steak now lol

• Whatever, as long as it's food I can eat

• I think everything except fast food is good and even then - I'd be happy with fast food but I prefer the other options.

• Don't you find the high rate of no opinions irritating?

• No, there are lots of people on this site who are waiting for their first date, never been kissed, etc.

• Something that won't mess up my lipstick 😛
    Too bad Italian is one of my favorites

• Seafood, yum!

• Seafood looks delicious. I don't like fastfood :/

• I went to Oceanaire with my sugar daddy on our first date. When I was a kid I used to not like seafood but now I really like it.

• I'm curious; how's the sugar daddy thing work for you?

• Not really. He's terrible at sex i. e. i usually have to do all the work but it's over in like 2 minutes lol

• And I need the money

• Vote A... I am a pizza girl :D

• Anything except fast food because I hate it.

What Guys Said 19

• Love this question... I would say a slice of pizza if you are in NYC... but if I had to choose from your list... steak would be my choice!

• #1 Make her home cooked authentic pizza and sauce... if you can... with some red wine. That is surely going to wow her... also if you can manage to get her to come over for dinner, granted you haven't been a creep the whole time

#2 amazing desert rather than dinner. This place has chocolates from around the world... Surely will sweetened her up for you...
    www.thisiswhywerefat.ca/.../...86028-thumbnail.jpg

#3 A great ice breaker for those dates that need a little juice on their date... these are amazing.. good food and a show.. can't go wrong
    media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/.../...apanese-sushi.jpg

These last 2 are for more a romantic quiet setting made to bond and connect deeply. How cool is this... A japanese style dinner where you sit on the floor with cushions
    #4 portal.restomontreal.ca/.../05_tamashi--71.jpg

And of course #5... you can never go wrong with the good ol' fashioned steak dinner... seared to perfect and aged for years with delish spices
    cdn.mtlblog.com/.../...758cac6c7fba61306ef0480.jpg

• Steak. You will know what kind of girl she is depending on her steak.

Well done filet mignon: this girl doesn't have steak that often. Not very adventurous. Going to pass on this girl.

Medium NY steak: okay girl, not very adventurous but she does have a taste in meat. Not bad.

Medium rare (or just rare) NY steak: oh finesse, cultured and know her meat. My kind of girl.

Medium Ribeye: Hmmm she likes her beef as beefy as possible. We are going to get along very very well.

T-bone: probably okay for a date or two but not long term. Would be fun as friends with benefits though.

Sirloin: oh frugal kinda gal I hope. Needs to determine if she has wife material or not.

Not beef: umm... I will make exceptions to very good pork but I think will put her back to the filet mignon class girl.

• This is interesting 👍

• Ha I am. Just sticking up for the Tbone girls out there

• @RickRichRichie

Oh this is my original system. I developed this based on my extensive experience in feeding, cooking, eating and testing steak to people.

There are 3 (4 if you count the t-bone) 'prime' steaks.

The filet mignon is soft but lack tastes and fat content (hence sometimes warped with bacon). It's a steak for people who haven't had steaks before. They pick the 'known' element and go with medium to well done because bloody beef scares people. The best way to eat this steak is rare with something fatty like olive oil, in my opinion.

The NY is a step above the filet mignon. Less tender but is a lot more beefy. With a decent amount of marbling and you will get a great steak. This is one of the steak that you should eat rare to no more than medium rare. Those who eat steaks regularly tend to go with medium rare or rare.

Ribeye is a tricky one. It's a lot more beefy than NY but tend to have more fat. This is the steak best eaten at medium. Only for people who eat a lot of steaks.

• i prefer something simpler for a first date. italian is fine, American fare is easy, steak usually is a bit pricey for a first date. i just want it to be good, reasonably priced in an environment that caters to conversation

• I won't be dating again due to my situation , personally I would never have a dinner type first date , that puts too much pressure on both parties , I would want the ability to eject very quickly if it did not go well ( IE, if she just played with a phone all the time , I would be gone pronto !! ) Simple & short coffee / very simple date only. Dinner would be reserved for deserving prospects only !!

• I suppose Italian works, so does Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Thai.
    Voted for "What's a date?" and "I don't have a preference" since I don't really date or like dating and I'm not picky as long as it's vegetarian (or at least pescetarian) and not too unhealthy.

• Anything other than fast food, unless my date prefers it. But I would strongly persuade her otherwise. If it were up to me, I'd say between steak, Italian or Mexican. Although, a place like Perkins ain't bad either.

• Italian, followed by French, then Japanese.

• French food,
      You mean old italian food cause that's what it is, French cooking is derived from earlier italian food largely

• Mexican, because the Mexican food here in California kicks ass! :-D

• A burger and fries. What could be more American?

• Korean Barbeque Or Seafood, I love fish n chips tho.

• I prefer something that I like and am comfortable with so I go with the steak! Though I've never had a second date... hmmm coincidence? Steak never stood me up though! 🍻

• I don't date. But if I did I'd go to Olive Garden. I fucking love Olive Garden ❤

• It really doesn't matter but I'd love Italian food for a dinner date!

• Nothing beats a steak

• Anything but Italian. Not a big tomatoes fan.

• Due to the fact that I am Young, black, rich, rich and famous. I consume the 10$ hanging fr my anus

*swag intensifies*

*suicidal thoughts intensify*

• I'm vegan, so I'll eat what I like.

• Italian is a safe bet.