Do you need time to define a relationship?

I've always been under the assumption that being exclusive - not just with sex but not dating other people as well - basically means you're in a relationship.
Do people really wait a set period of time between deciding to NOT see other people and actually being in a relationship and calling them your boyfriend/girlfriend?
Whats the difference?

Most Helpful Guy

• I always declared my love to a girl if i was in love with her and if she didn't declare it back i went over to another girl. If both partners say they love each other thats where the relationship begins for me.

Most Helpful Girl

• to me no, boyfriend/girlfriend = exclusive relationship and doesn't have to include sex

What Guys Said 7

• Generally i am not the type of person to date million times a month. I am very careful and selective. I'm not the most prettiest man on the planet but i can't see every girl in the corner as a target to just date and spend casual time with.
    Thus i find dating a very exclusive session. I only date someone that i know there is a spark to catch. I only date in purpose to set a relationship. Therefore when i date someone it's like a half commitment to me. In respect and value of her existence in my life. In respect of the time and effort we are spending on each other. I won't accept to see someone else leave alone casual sex relations which generally i'm against it anyway. Seeing thousand of people at the same time sounds like you are walking in shopping mall and trying to choose your favorite material among thousand of stores. No. I am not shopping. Humans are more valuable than that. So i see one girl at a time. Anytime it completely failed and we ended everything. I can consider the possibility of seeing others.

• The relationship it self will determine that for you. Thinking it through is a very clear clue that you are unsure and who is right for that to prosper. There is no timeline of decision that you could possible make. it is an overwhelming feeling of true desire that makes that decision for you.

Do not confuse yourself by thinking. Your mind is out to kill your happiness. Your instincts and gut feelings is how your Creator designed your life's plan. effortlessly and defined !

• I wouldn't be able to date a girl if I was with another one.
    Even after the first date that could possibly be followed by a second one, I wouldn't see other girls before the first girl or me had said "no".
    I don't want to feel like someone who's "shopping for girls" :-(

• I'm TOTALLY for explicit definition of the relationship, I don't want any miscommunication or loose ends.

• No set amount of time, it's more of a feeling. But, I tend to over think and move quickly when I like someone.

• well for me i like to go on a few dates b4 i let it known to the world that she is my girl to see if the chemistry is there

• But would you need to say you only want to be seeing each other exclusively while you're still in that early a stage?

• yes and no. yes i do think so especially if that chemistry is there then by me wanting to spend time and trying to get to know you would kind of show you that i am interested to see where things go. but no cause you dont want to say it to early and run the person off.

• So many labels, it's all so confusing so why bother :- )

I think you have the right idea.

• Especially if two people have different ideas on it... awkward?

• And they had been seeing others until that talk *

• But they could also just be dating exclusively, like in the early stages

What Girls Said 1

• I think it depends on the people. Wasn't like that for me and my boyfriend.