Is it ok to tell a white lie to make someone happy or should you just be brutally honest?

Is it ok to tell a white lie to make someone happy or should you just be brutally honest

• Brutally honest
  • White lie
Select a gender to cast your vote:

83

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends on the situation. Here's a basic girl example:
    when to tell the truth: If you are shopping with a friend or girlfriend and she asks , does this dress look nice? Should I buy it? and it really doesn't compliment her , then tell her that its not flattering - i. e. if the truth is going to prevent her from making a mistake, then you should fess up

when to not tell the truth: if you're on vacation with a girlfriend and she only packed one nice dress to go out in, and its not the most flattering (but she has nothing else to change in to), and she asks how she looks- then lie. If its going to make her self conscious over something she can't do anything about, then why make her feel that way?

Ultimately, when the question is this vague, if the truth is just hurtful, but not productive in any way, why hurt feelings over it? If telling the lie makes them feel better, and it doesn't cause any big problems (i. e. telling the girl she looks nice when maybe she doesn't look her best) then i say there isn't any great harm in telling a little white lie. If her knowing the truth would change her opinion, on say a relationship, then maybe you should divulge the truth.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 7

• I will always tell someone the truth

• I think you should definitely assess the possible consequences of said lie, but I think telling white lies to spare people's feelings can be necessary sometimes. I do it in situations where it would cause more harm to tell the truth

• I'd just get it over with and tell the truth

• honesty is best policy to avoid future misunderstandings

• It depends on what the situation is about

• Some people like to sugar coat things, but I always tell the truth. You might as well rip the bandaid right off. I know I'd rather be told the truth even if it hurts my feelings.

• depends! if they are really upset then i would lie or at least sugar coat it!

What Guys Said 2

• A lie is a lie. You tell a lie. That makes you a liar period.

• Of course, it's OK to make someone happy with a white lie making compliments.