Is there such a thing as "love at first sight"?

My friend and I are having a debate about this and wanted to get an outside opinion.

• Yes
  • No
  • Other (please explain below)
    Vote C

1526

Most Helpful Guy

• I said this on the last LOVE AT FIRST SITE QUESTION... You can walk up to some people and feel an instant connection... little sweaty palms... maybe you start to stutter... maybe you ask yourself why is this happening to me? This doesn't happen when I walk up to everyone. I believe mother nature pairs us randomly. Mother Nature doesn't check to see if we are compatible it just wants to procreate the species. So is it "love" at first sight or the evil doings of mother nature? My uncle told me a long time ago.. you can't help who you fall in love with... you just do. Could this be why the divorce rate is so high? We hear people all the time say it was a whirlwind romance and we got married after just 2 weeks. 3 months later they are divorced because both got snagged in mother nature's web and didn't stop to see if they had anything in common like values, standards, etc. Good question !

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally I can't fall in love at first sight. That's just too superficial. I need to know a guys qualities and flaws, I need to know him on a deeper level before I fall in love. That only happens over time

His appearance initially attracts me, but it's his personality that I fall in love with. So his personality determines if the relationship develops or not

What Guys Said 25

• We fall in love with fantasies of people. It's not necessarily "deep".

Some lonely young guy might fall for the first girl who smiles at him and build fantasies of being with her together.

His love is not necessarily that much different from the love I have for a wife. I also fell in love with the fantasy of being together with my wife.

The only difference is that his style of love is largely divorced from any practical experience or much mutual participation on the part of the girl he's in love with. As a result his dreams of her may be largely misaligned with who she actually is. That's not a problem I suffer since the dream of my wife that I fell in love with was one that was born and one which has evolved with the process of getting to know her over the years.

Still, I say it's "love". I don't find it useful to monopolize this term. I find it more insightful not to do so and realize that there isn't really *that* much to distinguish a crush or infatuation from the longest-term, mature type of love I have for my wife. The difference is how much of it is steeped in fantasy and how much is grounded in reality. It's never entirely grounded in reality.

• Now I do think "love at first sight" is a very foolish concept. Anyone who is prone to build the most intricate fantasies of being together forever with someone else on first impression alone is a rather imaginative dreamer, a supreme idealist, and very headstrong. He/she is generally bound to be disappointed, or at least terribly surprised, if the two pair up and get to know each other on a deeper level since it's incredibly unlikely that the fantasy remotely resembles reality in this case.

Yet I still call it "love". It's just a type of love that's very, very detached from reality. All love is at least somewhat detached from reality, even the love I have for my wife. I love the dream and fantasy of her, the symbolic image I built of her in my mind. It's not the result of a completely practical and unimaginative mindset.

• "Love" at first sight is just completely delusions caused by the chemicals in our brains and bodies known as hormones. It creates desire or even sexual and bodily lust, infatuation, crush, etc., pretty much all in the same category anyway. BUT but it's really all ONE BIG FUCKING LIE, because eventually all of it will fade away. So why does this actually happen? What's it really meant for or what the underlying cause behind it? Because it's just there to increase the possibility of reproduction for our species, otherwise we'd run the risk of dying out or completely dying out.

Sometimes it makes me wondered if we were physically immortal and eternal beings that never will die then would "love" mattered at all? But since that's not the case so therefore is it because we know we gonna die eventually thus some of us want to "love" and be "loved" in return?

• Possibly.

I think this guy makes a lot of interesting points...

www.psychologytoday.com/.../is-love-first-sight-possible

• yes there is and its called a crush when you are younger. after that then it would be lust like everyone said.

• No such thing anymore. These days, its lust at first sight, and love on the first night...

• Boring scientific answer: The chemistry involved in "love" can be present almost immediately in the male brain. The brain, when in love, mimics a manic state and in men this can happen almost instantly. Women on the other hand, have to vet their partner a little bit first, so it's much less common. This is because on an instinctual level women know that violent or crazy or even just sub-standard men can be a danger to them in more ways than one. Also because testosterone makes you feel activating emotions like euphoria and anger stronger and faster.

• There is lust as first sight, not love.

• Nope, just intense physical attraction. You can't really love someone till you get to know them. Appearance matters but it isn't everything.

• and what if at first I had a physical attraction at the first site, then in the following hours we get to talk to each other, he seems to start to get interested and the lady just followed those signs and thought Ohh this guy seem to be interested, they went out on a first date a few weeks later, he even asked her "What did she think of him", they ahd dinner he shared personal things to the lady they end up making out very nicely. few weks later after that firrst date, they both talked about going out again, the guy said yes but a second date never took place or happened, theh guy few weeks later kinda of blew her off indirectly.
      Could that count as love at first site or infatuation at first site, even if they did more than just see each other and felt the physical attraction, cause they talk more, they went out together, they made out, talked about going out again but that never happened-

What can you call this kind of interaction between that man and the woman?

• Infatuation at first sight, Just a casual friend connection at the first sight or what?

• @kitty71 probably infatuation. I mean I've had rare occurrences where I was blown away by a girl mentally and physically. I wasn't in love with her but I definitely thought about her a lot and she left an impression on me.

• Yes, but it happens with many not just 1 specific person.

• no, unless you're shallow asf and only care about looks. love at first sight is something for people that watched too many romance movies

but there is attraction at first sight.

• No. There is however "boner at first sight"

• Ithappens to young teens

• Yes! It happens/happened! When I'm in college I 've seen a girl & proposed/flirted & I dated with her for around 6-7 months

• Nah, that's just being horny 🍆🍑

• You can be infatuated at first sight. But love requires you to know the person on a deep level

• Yes, i believe in love at first sight, happened few times to me.

• No..

• There isn't. Love is something which is built. It's true "infatuation" at first sight.

• Poll results are tied LOL!

• Love is based on what's on the inside, so there's only physical attraction at the first sight

• yeah i think so

• no, it lust at first sight.

• yeah

• Love? ... well that's a bit vague. I once once met a girl (a friend of a friend of mine) and the moment I saw her, it felt like time slowing down. Like nothing else mattered. I have to admit that it was the only time I had ever felt like that. For the following months I couldn't get her out of my head. A few months later I saw her again. My heart was beating so hard I could hear it and my stomach felt like it was on fire. Actually every time I saw her felt like that. If that's what you call love at first sight... then I suppose it exists. But as I said, I've never felt like that before. Nor afterwards. No girl had ever made me feel like that. I suppose she had something special. Anyways. I hope that helps :)

• Yes, with free food

What Girls Said 14

• no. just intense attraction

• No because it wouldn't be love. Love at first sight is based of how they look not the kind of person they are. Once you get to know them it might turn out you don't "love" them just the way they look.

• Suuuuure! Because the only thing you can infer by looking at somebody is their shape & size.
      Nothing about inner character transpires, does it? lol

• I went with "yes" but partially because of that guess and inference. It's always wrong to some degree as I see it. I love the fantasy and dream of my wife. It isn't 100% her. It's a symbolic representation I built in my mind that represents her and belongs only to her.

It's not a practical list of characteristics that I can sum up and say, "Aha, yes, that's why she's the one." It's the dream I built of her, around her, of being together.

In my case it is a fairly accurate depiction of her but only because it has undergone revisions over the course of getting to know her. It has evolved.

But I don't discount the idea of "love" based on a dream of a person that is inaccurate. It's never entirely accurate as I see it, since we can't, for example, read each other's minds.

• If accuracy of inference was a prerequisite to call something "love" or not, for example, then for the vast majority of couples out there who broke up, regardless of how long they were together, we would be able to say they never even fell in love with each other in the first place. This is because, for the vast majority of break-ups, it's typically the result of one or both partners failing to meet the other's hopes, dreams, and expectations. It means the other partner had an inaccurate idea in their mind.

I find that idea of requiring accuracy to be too dismissive. To me if the dream is there of being together with another person, it's "love". It doesn't matter if the idea and dream of the other person is very accurate or not.

Of course someone who falls in love at first sight is generally doing something very foolish or at least incredibly risky. But I still call it "love" if that dream is there.

• No, I may be really attracted to the guy but to say that I love him without even knowing anything about him is ridiculous to me

• I believe there's not. You can't fall in love with someone you don't know, someone you know nothing about.
    However, I do believe that you might be attracted to them as soon as you see them.

• no love is sacrifice

• I would say yes, it's possible. It happened with me and my current husband. We met in high school and have been together ever since

• Not love more infatuated

• More like, interest at first sight, and it'll develop. LOL

• No, only lust at first sight

• I used to think its BS, but I believe in it now.

• attraction at first sight is real, but love is learned. you cannot love a person you do not know.

• I think so

• I fell in love with my boyfriend when I first saw him

But we had been talking online before so maybe it doesn't count

• Nope. Obviously its attraction at first between two people so it's more of lust than love. Love is deeper than that.