Is true love at first sight realistic?

Is True Love At First Sight Realistic?

• Nah. True love doesn't happen instantaneously.
  • Who knows. Everyone has their own definition of true love.
  • Yes. It's realistic and magical.
    Vote C
Select a gender to cast your vote:

4075

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Just intense attraction. I was in an elevator once, headed down, doors opened and there was a guy right there. We made eye contact, he smiled at me, and I felt such intense attraction to him. Like... He looked so kind and smart and adorable. I felt all those things in a matter of seconds. It's not love, but I still think about that random stranger, years later. His facial features are a blur now, I just remember how he made me feel.

Most Helpful Guy

• You can walk up to some people and feel an instant connection... little sweaty palms... maybe you start to stutter... maybe you ask yourself why is this happening to me? This doesn't happen when I walk up to everyone. I believe mother nature pairs us randomly. Mother Nature doesn't check to see if we are compatible it just wants to procreate the species. So is it "love" at first sight or the evil doings of mother nature? My uncle told me a long time ago.. you can't help who you fall in love with... you just do. Could this be why the divorce rate is so high? We hear people all the time say it was a whirlwind romance and we got married after just 2 weeks. 3 months later they are divorced because both got snagged in mother nature's web and didn't stop to see if they had anything in common like values, standards, etc. Good question !

What Girls Said 39

• Absolutely not. List at first sight is definitely possible, but if you understand the role attachment plays in love, you understand that it is not possible to be instantly in "true love."

• My Grandmother and Grandfather were together for 57 years until he passed away, they both said that they fell for one another at first sight. They were married two or three weeks after they met! So yes it is possible and it is possible that it either is long lasting or can lead to long lasting deeper love.

• no that's called infatuation or a crush.. that can later develop into love.. but you can't say it is ''love'' at first sight..

• No. Claiming you can love someone just by looking at them turns love into something shallow and easily replaceable, which it definitely isn't. You can't love someone if you don't know them on a very personal level. You might love the way they look (as in they're your ideal person looks-wise) but there's more to love than just looks and initial attraction.

• It depends on what you mean "by first site".

If you mean that simply seeing a person can provoke fidelity, honesty, humility, compassion, and forgiveness for an entire lifetime in a split moment? Then no.

If you mean that it can (by chance) legitimately happen to find someone whom will sync with you and other those things? Then yes.

But much like the phenomenon "soul mates", I don't think it is common enough to seek out... It's not worth pursuing.

• nah that's called lust

• Nah, I believe more in chemistry at first sight if that's a thing? That can absolutely lead to love but I don't think it's love to begin with at all.

• it is definitely possible however almost every single time it is infatuation because you don't know how the person is on the inside it's more of a physical attraction. Just because the person is pretty or handsome on the outside does not mean that he or she will be the same on the inside.

• It's real but I feel it's extremely rare. Especially in this day and age. Everything about social media, and media in general, has bastardized the concept of love and human emotions so much that people are genuinely afraid to listen to their emotions. We're taught young to close our hearts and our minds. We are shown how to hold ourselves aloof and not be too trusting. We've lost so much of what we used to be spiritually and have drawn divisions between one another and there have thrown up insurmountable walls to protect ourselves from the negative "what ifs" while never considering the positive light. Love at first sight is completely plausible and possible if you open your heart and mind. "Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things that a man needs to believe in the most: that people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; that love, true love, never dies... No matter if they're true or not, a man should believe in those things because those are the things worth believing in."
    -Secondhand Lions

• True isn't s attraction yes butbakways soulmates at first site no. Sometimes it takes years to realize you're perfect for each other.

• I can't say I'v experienced such a thing myself, but a friend of mine said she knew she loved me the moment she laid her eyes on me. She didn't even know my name at that point.
    We became friends, but her feelings for me have killed that friendship after almost a year, sadly. So her feelings did stay for a long time after that.

• I think it's not. It takes years before you can say you love someone.
    However, you might be attracted to them even if you're seeing them for the first time.

• I know it happens once in a while. I don't think it's very realistic.

• I for one, don't think there's love at first sight
    Lust, attraction, infatuation sure

• Depends if we are talking about love or lust. Love can't happen instantly

• yes it totally is. i fell in love with my husband upon first sight❤

• Love at first sight is possible, but it's better to get to know the person first. You don't know if they're a murderer or a rapist or something. It's better to be in love with someone you can make a connection with, than falling in love with someone because of they're looks. But love at first sight is possible; it's just very rare that that person and you will be the perfect match.

• You can be interested at them at first sight, but not in love

• True love takes time and for two people to get to know each other in order to find love I don't believe in love at first sight.

• I've experienced it. I don't think everyone does! But I have. And it's fair enough if others don't believe in it.

• love at first sight only happens in movies in reality maybe attraction at fight sight lol... at least lets say that is one step to true love

• It doesn't take long to find out whether your fire mingles well with a person. I can determine whether I'd be interested pretty quickly BUT love is a product of intimate knowledge of one another. So I don't think love at first sight is real.

• I dont believe in love at first sight

more like

Lust at first sight.

• i voted the second option

• No you can be attracted to someone but you can't be in love with them

• No, not really. I think it's only in the movies. You need (at least I do) some time to grow the feelings for them.

• it happens ♡

• 95% time it's lust

• It's possible. But it's the exception not the rule soo...

• Nah I don't believe it is, I believe the love develops over time.

• More from Girls
    9

What Guys Said 74

• If you say that you "love" someone but you don't know anything about them except their appearance, then the "love" you are talking about is not the same "love" that I talk about.

• I have a definition of "love" which I think applies to practically everyone. I define it as building hopes and dreams around a person of being together. It's born in human fantasy. It's never entirely practical.

That's true even for my wife with whom I've been together going almost 9 years. I don't love some practical definition of her. I can't list outward qualities about her and how she behaves and say, "Yep, she's the one and only because [...]" The practical side knows there are billions of females on the planet and there's a good chance there are some females just as well-suited if not more so than her.

Yet she's the "one and only" to me because I built and fell in love with a fantasy of her. I built this unique dream about her and a symbolic image that belongs only to her. In my case that dream is fairly aligned with who she actually is since we've been together so long, but it's still the dream of her I love.

According to this definition, love at first sight can exist. I also consider "crushing" a form of love. I could never do it since I don't fall in love so easily (I require a lot of mutual participation to build those hopes and dreams) but I don't doubt that there are people who can build hopes and dreams of being together with a person just from first impressions alone.

I don't think it's wise, of course, since their dreams and fantasies could be completely misaligned with who the person is in reality. I'd say that type of "love" is far more divorced from reality than the love I have for my wife. Yet both this type of love at first sight and the love I have for my wife still exist in the realm of fantasies, of hopes and dreams.

• I went with:
      >> Yes. It's realistic and magical.

Though I had some problems with the wording. I don't think it's magical, I think it's the result of someone who is very imaginative and maybe a bit headstrong (I'd expect much younger to do this more easily). I also don't think it's so realistic since, again, it's a gigantic fantasy built around a person with little or no mutual participation on their part.

So I do think it's typically foolish and not the slightest bit magical, but I do think "yes" at the very least. I do think it exists and I don't think it's that different from a more mature and experienced form of love except that the latter is going to involve a fantasy that's considerably less divorced from reality and required a lot more mutual participation to build.

• True love is very real and magical.
    I do not recommend this but I found my fiancee on GAG over three years ago. She lived across the country and has moved in with me. We been back n forth to meet the family's and are currently planning our wedding.
    our love is unrepeatable and still burning HOT. we are best friends and have almost all commonalities. She and I support each others accomplishments as our biggest fans of one another. Our undying devotion is plain to see and feel. It is a feeling of effortless LOVE.

It all started with an anonymous question moments before I was ready to delete my account on here.
    I stayed to encourage others to keep your path clear and be available for that effortless connection alive with belief that TRUE LOVE exists.

• No. Love in the first place, is our way to describe an unnatural feeling of closeness towards another, bordering obsession. Nature doesn't care for love, it cares only for lust. Chemistry and compatibility may happen at first meeting, but seeing someone you like, is lust at play, not love.

• Realistically, no. You have no clue who or what they are. I'm not saying it can't happen because I've seen older couples say it. I don't see how it can be anymore than loving their looks, smile and eyes, etc. That is not true love of the person.

• I did once spot a girl from afar in a nightclub and instantly felt attracted to her.

A friend of mine knew her and introduced us, and we ended up dating! So it can happen, but I think everyone's definition of what it actually means will be different.

• I don't think or believe that kind of "love" even exists. It's all false, illusions or delusions.

• Not really.. I mean I feel like you can be naturally connected to somebody to a point where you attract to each other.. But, love grows, and it takes time..

• It depends. Lust at first sight is usually what occurs, but "true love" is such a wide term. There really isn't a spectrum of love; it's either something that is, or something that is not.
    Love, down to it, is really just a primal phenomenon that occurs when two or more beings have a desire to mate with each other. But it can evolve with passion and desire.

• As a whole? No. That doesn't mean that it can never happen, just that the actual chance of it being real love is so rare. My uncle met his wife on an airplane and ended up married and have been happy ever since. But people confuse lust with love a lot, because they are very similar. But lust doesn't have the meaning behind it like love does.

I think "love at first sight" can start thing's down the right path, but I don't think our mind's can even make up that decision that quick.

• no. it's called attraction.

• Yea sometimes , you look at that person and have a crush on him/her then you will wanna look at him/her and make friends with em' and so on...

• It's infatuation which causes the feelings of love, but it's not actually love itself. Love, isn't zap bang boom it's here. Love is art. Art isn't painted instantly, but takes time.

• You didn't really have an option for me, and while I chose "yes", it's definitely not magical. Brain scans have shown that men can experience a peak in the brain activity commonly known as "love" (a type of useful insanity similar to hypomania) immediately after seeing someone for the first time. Women, not so much. They need time to vet potential partners and make sure they're not like... crazy.

• it is realistic but love on first sight is nothing that is determined before the fact. it´s always expressed in hindsight, which makes the term basicaly completely meaningless. it just means that you happend to like them and it turned out well.

• My father fell in love with my mother at first sight and they've been happily married over 25+ years.

• Love is something which is built I guess. It should be true "infatuation" at first sight.

• B seems the most realistic.

• No lol.

• No that's bullshit , besides most people definition of real love doesn't exist , what exists is appreciation and respect and good conversation not the fantasy love Holywood planted in our hopes

• People mistake physical attraction with love. Hence why people use the phrase "love at first sight".

• I've experienced it myself. :)

• actually it's lyst at first sight.

• Hahah you guys must be trolling 😂😂 If love at first sight truly existed then there would be no rejection for looks or height. Most people I fell in love with instantaneously were such bitches. They had bad attitudes and sometimes bad breath 🤔😷

• Perhaps it was in the past, but these days.. people are all dolled up and can either be a total stuck up bitch, or an ignorant arsehole. So you never know..

• I think thats passion and desire... i think... not sure...

• If you are a slut yeah.

• Lust happens instantly. Love takes time.

• Happens for some people.

• Yeah man

• More from Guys
    44