Would you stop talking to/visiting your parents if they strongly disliked your partner (married/committed relationship)?

My Dad is controlling, racist and judgmental... and no one can please him--no matter who the guy/girl is!! :( How about your parents?

• Yes, but only if married!
    23%(3)27%(6)Vote33%(3)
  • No, if just dating!
    23%(3)18%(4)Vote11%(1)
  • No, my parents are too important to me!
    54%(7)55%(12)Vote56%(5)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not answering from any of your prompts because they are tearable options and there are more options out there for you. Look the reality is your a 22 year old woman whom is going to date and love whomever you want to, and your parents don't have to like the person you're with, but they do have to respect your choices and at least be civil to him in your and his presence. It's time you sat your father down and explained how you feel about his comments and beliefs. If he doesn't want to listen then fine that's his choice, but you live your life regardless of your father's opinions. Understand you're‚Äč not a child anymore and you're grown enough to make your own decisions on your life and whom you want in it. Look if you forever live your life based on what your father likes or doesn't like then you ultimately trap yourself in a life that you don't even like. It's time for you to step up to what you feel is right regardless of your father's opinion. The reality is change can only be seen when one dose something about the problems and growth can only be had when one allows themselves to grow past there fears. Time to grow up and live your life the way you see fit; yes it's scary and you will have doubts, and pitfalls, and even heart ache in more ways than one; but what you gain from surviving those trials and pushing forward is growth both physically and mentally and for some even spiritually. Trust me when I say those things can not be replaced ever, and being strong for yourself ultimately allows you to be strong for others. So date whom ever it is you choose and if your father doesn't like it then move forward regardless of him. It's his choice to be a part of your life or not so he either is respectful of your life or he won't be in it. Sometimes it's a hard path to travel but that's life sometimes it's never as easy as we wish so we move forward and try to make it better. I hope my words help you in some way and I wish you luck and happyness in what ever comes of your life. Good luck dear.

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents don't like my current guy - but generally have liked most of the other's though.
    Having siblings and hearing my parents talk about their partners I've realised it's pretty common for the dislike.
    The thing is I've kind of stopped caring what they think recently. I figure I know myself and what I need/want so I am done with approval.

What Guys Said 6

• You don't have a duty to continue visiting your parents, with or without your partner,. You are an adult and can and should set boundaries. If they behave badly, then leave. Continuing to see your parents while they are repeatedly disrespectful will be like an open sore in your life. Standing up for yourself and saying "I'm not listening to this" will be difficult, and you will be sad that your parents didn't care enough to behave civilly, but you will get closure and move on.

• My parents will never stop talking to me if they disliked my partner. I don't mind if they dislike her, it is what it is, as long as they accept her and don't act like kids. If they decide to be immature about it and treat her bad, or continuously bash her behind her back, then yes, I would stop talking to them, but I know my parents will never do such thing.

• No way. A parent may not like companion you choose but they must come to honor your decision. And even though they may not like my decision. I will still speak with my parents. Because it's is the right thing to do.

• It was never an issue.

• My parents are nice on the outside but crazy in.
    I would be just fine in dealing without seeing them, it would make me question her though.

• Depends

What Girls Said 7

• It all depends how the visit goes on. They don't have to like him, but they can at least behave normal when he is there. If that is not possible a visit with him is rather useless. Private talks or visits seem possible if there still is an added value

• My parents strongly dislike my partner and he feels the same way. I still talk to both.

• I wouldn't be with anyone my family disliked.
    My family's approval means a lot to me. And they can usually see things I can't from an outside perspective.

• I kept my last boyfriend hidden from my parents because he was older than me and I knew they wouldn't approve. Not sure what I would've done if they'd found out.

• No , I love my parents. I'd never stop speaking to my family. I'm very close to them.

My parents have always been accepting of my relationships. They never interfered. They'd guide me and give me advice if I needed it , but they'd never outwardly show they disliked him. They'd get along with him for my sake and our kids sake.

• If they have a real reason yes, if they are just because shitty people than no

• I would continue to visit them but alone.