How do you know if you actually like/love someone?

So I said yes impulsively to the guy I've been dating when he asked me to be his girlfriend and now I don't know whether I actually see him as a boyfriend or just a friend. At first I thought I did like him, but now I think it was just because he liked me and I was just flattered or something. I don't get butterflies or anything when I'm with him and it feels too much like a friendship and I don't know.
I'm so confused.
How do I know if i like him? What do I do if I don't? I know I'll have to break it off with him but then I just don't know how to deal with this.

Most Helpful Guy

• If you feel nothing more than feelings of a friendship, then that's all it should be. If you can't picture yourself with him in a relationship or don't get feelings that move past friendship status, you need to tell him before he falls hard for you. Stuff like that happens where you say something without fully thinking it through or having feelings towards the situation. Just be honest with yourself & with him. You don't wanna wait to long; the longer it drags out, the harder it'll be and someone's feelings will be crushed

Most Helpful Girl

• Tbh, I can identify whether I actually like someone because I don't question whether I like him or not. I like to be genuine about liking the person. If I'm doubting whether I like him or not, then I know I don't like him because of who he is. I've been through your situation before.
    When I dated this guy who liked me, I only liked him because he liked me. I went through things I wasn't ready for and after I went through all the pain of being near him, I realized I never liked him at all. So advice for now, break it off but do it so that he sees why you think that this is the best idea.

What Guys Said 1

• I constantly want their attention and im over protective

What Girls Said 7

• If I can envision spending my life with him , and if I love his flaws as well as his qualities then I know I love him.

If I like someone , it means I enjoy being in their company , spending time with them. Also, I'll respect and value them as a person. I won't.. if I dislike them. I just ignore people I don't like. Or I'm superficial with them

• if you KNOW that you'll have to break it of with him do it as gently as possible. however you might want to give it a shot. since one has instinct feelings. if you're instinct feeling said yes go for it. if it said no then please save yourself and him and get back to the friendship.

• You only like him as a friend it's better to talk to him about it. Don't keep it going if u don't feel the same way

• I totally understand your feelings! My whole life I've never actually been romantically interested in someone and I confused myself on thinking that I liked the guy but really it because he said he liked me or someone else (friend) said so... until recently!

I think liking someone is kind of like having a friend; someone who makes you laugh, happy, nervous, etc; who you feel comfortable yet you feel butterflies &/or if you get jealous/sad if other girls flirt/hangout around him.

• You feel attracted to them

• You shouldn't be dating someone if you can't answer the simple question as to why you are in a relationship with them.

• If you don't get butterflies every time you see him, uh uh.