What's the greatest appropriate age difference between romantic partners?

• 5 years
    40%(21)32%(28)Vote20%(7)
  • 10 years
    25%(13)23%(20)Vote20%(7)
  • 15 years
    8%(4)6%(5)Vote3%(1)
  • Age is just a number
    23%(12)30%(26)Vote40%(14)
  • If you two didn't graduate high school the same year, your love is an abomination!
    4%(2)9%(8)Vote17%(6)

Most Helpful Girl

• It really depends on how old both partners are. As both partners get older, larger age gaps become less problematic. For example, when one partner is 16 and the other is 18, even those two years make a HUGE difference in maturity level and life stage. But if one partner is 40 and the other is 50, even that full decade age difference may not have much impact on the relationship.

• I completely agree with you, and you put it far more succinctly than I would have. Cheers!

What Girls Said 6

• age is but a number, within reason; i prefer a guy to be within 5 years of my own age, though i'll feel like a pervy old woman if he's too much younger.

• I hear you. At my age, someone under 30 might as well be seven.

• agreed; when i was 19, i dated a guy in his early 30s, and it eventually got weird (he often tried to 'parent' me).

the next guy after that was only 8 years my senior, but it was still weird. we had the same sense of humour, but were not on the same level in other aspects.

currently, my now (common-law) -husband is just 2 years my senior. and that's perfect.

• If you have to ask about the gap it's too wide. How wide varies from person to person.

• 30 years?

• Same age or less than five years. People I know who are still married have very little age difference. so I think it's better.

• I think being of similar ages means that you share the same cultural touchstones, which can be important.

• Yes, it's for that I said same age is better. Plus it mean (generally) same taste in music, show, clothes etc...

• I'm 46 and my girlfriend is 23. We do not care about our age difference

• I wouldn't say age is just a number because there are legitimate concerns to dating someone significantly older or younger. It can work out really well, though. My dad is 15 years older than my mom and they have been married for almost 30 years. I'm currently dating a much older man and he's the best boyfriend I have ever had.

What Guys Said 9

• Who decides what is "appropriate?"

My mother: 3 years.
    A 60 year old guy with the hots for a teenager: about 45 years.
    State legislatures: no limit as long as both partners are over the age of consent. Religious leaders: ?
    Most 18 year old kids: 2-3 years.
    Most 30 year old people: 5-7 years
    Most 50-60 year old people: 10 years
    You: ?

• The older you get, the less the gap matters. By the time the younger person is 30, the gap is far less important.

• I have dated a lot and finally found my true love with a two year gap. I have more in common with her than any other person in the past. Including someone the same age. No issue just not the one.
    I have dated someone 11 years younger. We were just not connected intellectually. Very immature for my taste. When ever she stated when she was born I remember fond memories of my youth. That was a bit creepy. I was forty years old with the Kardiadhians on the TV. I would just sit there with her wondering WTF am I doing here. lol... Among many other disconnects.

Age does matter to me. I couldn't be with someone I am disconnected from.

• It makes sense that that sort of generational disconnect would be a deal breaker. I take it that your love is closer to your age?

• Correction: I take it that your love being closer to you age led you to more quickly realize your compatibility?

• Exactly !

• I guess age is just a number, but down the track the older partner may suffer lots of the physical issues of ageing while the younger one (if much younger) is still relatively healthy, and that puts a physical and mental burden on caring for them.

• I think that 5 years would be enough. The last girl I asked out on a date is 5 years younger than me.

• As long as you both are over the legal age limit in your residing country/state.

• no such age I feel

• Love has no age only the true test of time

• Appropriate means socially acceptable any age difference is socially acceptable, as long as both people are above the age of consent. No person's arbitrary opinion gets to decide what age range a person gets to date in. Let's say a bunch of people give you different answers for this, how will you decide who to listen to? If one person says five years and another says twenty years, how will you decide which answer is more valid to you?

• I'm not trying to form any conclusions. I'm just interested in the variety of opinions.

• For a One Night Stand or for life?