My dad is dating a girl younger than me and I'm not sure how to feel about it, is it weird?

So for a little bit of detail, my father is 48, I'm 24 and his girlfriend is also 24 but a few months younger than me. I've met her, she seems lovely and I'm happy my dad has found someone, I just find it weird she's my age. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Do you think I'm wrong for finding it weird and slightly uncomfortable?

914

Most Helpful Guy

• whatever your father chooses to do, that's none of your business. It only becomes your business, the way treats you, like abusing you etc.

You don't have to agree with his choices, but doesn't mean you can't be happy for him. He might be only dating 24 year old girl, but she is an adult, so he is doing nothing wrong. Beside 48 years old is still pretty young, I see a lot of girls dating your father age. To be honest I don't blame them, because men like your father, know how treat to a women.

If she is lovely and a great person, and they both make each other happy, then let them be in a relationship, don't ruin that relationship, if you do, it might cause resentment towards you later down the line.

It would be wise for you not to interfere in his relationships, let him live his life. You just worry about your relationship with him. At the end of the day, he doesn't need your permission to do anything.

Most Helpful Girl

• Actually, that makes me angry, because your Dad is putting you in a spot that is uncomfortable. Its also strange for me too just reading it. Where is his head?

yes, its happened to me too and I dont like my parent's choices at all. I think its wrong that everyone gives me just... garbage!
    I want to yell at the world, that those people my parents are dating have called me things like brat, f***** and a**. I wish I could wake up from this nightmare... I can't handle the name calling anymore.

Someday, I will get enough money and have my own house and have flowers in every room like jasmine, orchids, and lavander.

What Guys Said 13

• It's weird, you're allowed to be weirded out, that's a natural response to something that could have unsettling implications like this.
    The important thing is, over time, if no other red flags arise, then eventually this red flag will fly at half-mast, before disappearing completely.

• you can't judge based on age, you most get to know her better
    then you can decide
    but since your dad is old enough to be wise and mature, so he knows what he's doing

• this is not wrong but seems funny to me.
    just thinking how he will feel or the environment wil be if you date a Men of 48.

you (24) your dad (48) his girlfriend (24) and your boyfriend (48) are sitting togther.

• Hmm is your dad wealthy?

• He has a good job, has a comfortable life but wouldn't say he was particularly wealthy

• I find it it little strange but I guess it's not that uncommon for people to date people with age gaps

• If you say so.

• it is weird to date a girl younger than your child, but if they're happy, then there's nothing innately wrong with it. it may never stop being awkward though. lol

• If your dad is happy than that's good maybe talk to him if it bothers you , I'm sure he wouldn't mind hearing your input on the girl he's dating.

• I can see how t would be weird for you but it is awesome for him. At least he's not dating your friends

• Yeah i had been on same situation before , the difference is my dad is not single and cheated to my mother , of course i am not happy , even my brother punched him on the face after we found about it.
    now he lost eveything to that girl , he broke af , well , he deserved that

• Gonna admit that would be a little weird.

• If she makes him happy, God bless. Furthermore, it's none of your business. You
    have the right to feel however you choose. But when it boils down to soup and nuts, you have no fish in that pond. You are very wrong.

• I don't know it's not life or death though dw

• no, means your dad is probably chill guy. does he look young?

• He's always been a health but and kept himself in shape so I guess he probably could pass for younger than he is

• well probably healthy lifestyle has something to do with it. most guys let themselves go physically as they get older.

• Weird probably yes, but if they love each other and are happy then it's ok. You should get used to it as well and feel happy for ur dad !!

What Girls Said 8

• What is the girlfriend like? What vibes do you get off her? Does she seem mature for her age? Does she seem like she loves your dad? Does she have her own life - house, car, job, jewellery, family, friends, etc?

• Ewwwww. I'd tell my dad it was gross and tell him I was uncomfortable. And then I'd probably get into an argument with him about why doing that makes him a total creep.

• I dont usually have a problem with large age gaps, but I can see where you're coming from. I'd be a bit creeped out in your situation too.

• my dear it depends on how deep the relationship of your father and that girl. imagine if it is serious and they kind of thinking of getting married, would you have her as your step mom? it's weird. But as long as they are happy and as long as your dad's girlfriend doesn't abuse you

• it might be weird but if your dad is happy with her there's nothing you can do about it

• nothing weird in older people dating younger people

• It's wrong

• no its ok for you to not truly like the situation because you step mom would be the same age as you but I think If you two get along then it will all work out it self