Is it a good idea to tell your parents that you're dating someone?

I feel as if telling them is going to trigger negative events of some sort. Maybe it's because a guy ghosted on me once after I told my mother about him? It's also going to be embarrassing if he ends up breaking my heart and they find out about it.

Does anyone else feel the same way or am I just being superstitious?

212

Most Helpful Guy

• Well you should tell someone so if they find your body in a river they know who to go to first.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, because it's only respectful and right unless they are not trustworthy with that about your life just yet or at all. If you're dealing with a guy who ghosted you after telling your parents, that just goes to show who the heck you're dealing with: a user who just wants to get into your pants without wanting anything serious. That is not only respectful and right for your parents to know, but a good indicator to test who you're pursuing and allowing to pursue you. Dating is about process and eliminating. And the one who decided to ghost you is the one who got eliminated.

What Guys Said 1

• I wouldn't until it gets serious.

• My mom noticed that I was spending a lot of time with him and kind of figured it out.

What Girls Said 20

• Yes, especially if you are planning on going OUT on dates with that person.

I know that parents may seem like a bomber sometimes but they really do have your best interest at heart and sometimes they can pick up on quite a few things about your potential partner that you would miss.

• As an adult, I see no reason to apprise my family of my dating life. I just make it possible for them to trace my steps if I am meeting someone in public for the first time.

• Don't tell them until you're official. Until someone asks "will you be my bf/gf?" and the other person says yes, you don't need to tell them. But, once that happens, it's vital to introduce them to your family.

• I only tell my parents once I've been with them a while.

• yes~ it shows them you are responsible and sets the tone for your relationship with them.

• I wouldn't until its been a few months, you're both ready to tell the parents together, Its getting serious and you both are thinking long term

• You're an adult. It's your personal life. Whether you tell them or not it's not a concern of theirs.

• Maybe you shouldn't make it as big of a deal, just be with him and don't be all secret about it then they will figure it out themselves. If you come home with him and be like this is my boyfriend it becomes more serious and maybe awkward.
    My boyfriend come over often and my parent know we are together but i never presented him as a boyfriend they just knew.

• I always told my mum, yes she will ask questions when it's over but at least she'll be thee for you when you get your heart broken

• When ur engaged. I just think everyome else ought to butt out until we are serious. Espefisly my parents. My mom's always asling me who r u on the phone with and all that nonsense. I'm just like let me be

• No I wouldn't

• should keep it to yourself until it's getting serious between the two of you

• I would never tell my parents something like that. PERIOD! 💯

• i never do

• If you are an arab, NO

• I tell my parents when I'm going out on a date but dont give much details.

• It depends on your relationship with your parents.

• If you know it's gotten serious, you could say it

• She suspects it because she always sees me with him. I haven't confirmed it though. What should I do?

• You stick to the plan until it gets serious

• Depends on your culture/country. Also you know your parents the best

• I would tell it only when things get serious