"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"... Do you think it does or not? Why?

I personally think that this saying is pretty true, but I'm curious about what you guys think! Have any stories to tell? 🤗

Most Helpful Guy

• yes, this is true. as a navy guy I've seen many times how being away from each other with no other opportunities can make you think more fondly of someone, or even a place or thing. any noun really.
    it is a dangerous tactic to use if someone is not on a boat separated from any opportunities to become fonder of someone else, as many sailors have found out from the ridiculous amount of breakups by their wives, girlfriends, or significant others while they were absent.

as for the reasoning, the mind naturally tries to block out the bad things and remember the good things about objects of remembrance. a main reason that the things you hear at a funeral might be a bit different from what you would hear from someone who is with a person every day.

if you are away from a person, you start to forget all their annoying tendencies, or things that you dislike. thus, in your mind, they consistently become better, until they may end up becoming that perfect person in your mind, or the one that got away.

Most Helpful Girl

• If my boyfriend worked away then I'd miss him so much and think about him more often than if he was home , because I'd be seeing on a daily basis if he were home. I'd long to hold him and kiss him , and constantly be looking forward to seeing him

If I'd broken up with a guy and we no longer spoke then my feelings would fade , so absence wouldn't make my heart grow fonder in those circumstances, because in general the less contact I have with someone the less I think about them, therefore my feelings totally fade.

If I'm ignored intentionally, then that silence makes me feel distant from the person , and I no longer think about them. Any past feelings go away completely

So it really depends on the circumstances for me

What Guys Said 18

• I think this one is going to be dependent on the individuals in the relationship.

If there was some really close connection that was suddenly severed, I could see why it might make some people grow closer if they did reconnect.

Alternatively, if there wasn't much between the two in the first place, then the saying, "out of sight, out of mind" is probably more accurate. I can also see why one person might become angry because they felt rejected with no explanation given, depending on the circumstances.

• Yup! I agree! But yeah, I definitely think that this does hold truth to that extent'

• First off, I completely agree with that adage.

Put this into perspective... Lets say your favorite food is sushi and every Friday night, you always go out to your favorite sushi restaurant.

Monday comes around and you're back to the same old routine... school or work, they both suck. However, there's always something to look forward to at the end of the week, which is sushi night!

But, if every night was sushi night, then it's not as sentimental.

Abstaining from something for a period of time allows you to appreciate it much more than if you were to have it daily. As for me, it's the same thing with my relationship. I love my girlfriend dearly and I'd love to spend every moment with her. But at times we both need time for ourselves so we can also grow as an individual.

Then the next time we see each other, we appreciate each other's company much more.

• Yeah! That's a great way to put it! I love that you used sushi as an example also ahaha! I literally love sushi! Great way to explain it! 😁😁

• absolutely. me and my ex ended in a disastrous way, just as we did after breaking up 5 years ago and again 3 years ago (we've been on and off for 12 years). we're finally off for good, but those good memories start flooding in after About this long ( it's been a year). we both start remembering the INTENSE romance, and UNBELIEVABLY INCREDIBLE sex, and it gets harder and harder to not see her.

• Ah yeah! I get what you mean! So you definitely believe that this saying holds immeasurable truth then?

• Ah yeah I getcha! Thanks! This was helpful input! As you literally live this every day!

• I believe that distance makes relationships stronger. I also think that humans have to mind power to not think about it by focusing on all the other things in life, like trying new things or going out with new people. A couple of months ago the same thing happend to me. I stopped talking to a girl bc she wasn't responding to me texts for days at a time when she was all over social media throught the day (imo thats disrespectful). She was playing hard to get and thats what pushed me away from her. She still randomly drunk texts me about being friends but i can't go through with it. I had so many feelings for her i couldnt. So honestly it depends on the person. Hope this helps!

• Yes it does! If there were real, genuine attaching feelings to begin with.

A guy or girl who has lukewarm interest in someone, won't have that interest grow with absence.

• Out of sight = out of mind. Sometimes such a grave turn can happen. So it is better to be in contact all the time. Fondness grows only when the two people are extremely close together , not otherwise.

• I agree with most of this! Very well explained! But I'd have to disagree with the out of sight out of mind thing. I believe that distance can enhance the memories that were created and make them seem extra special and valuable. At least that's what happened with me when I was casually seeing a guy that I really liked. I knew that we had something really special going on, but that kinda faded... BUT I've noticed that sometimes he'll spontaneously text me and I'll do the same when we see something that reminds us of the other... So I don't know in a way, the distance has enhanced how important he was to me then. Sorry if that's hard to understand! It's a bit confusing and hard to explain.

• Yup! That's a good one! It's kinda like a synonym for the quote I used compared to yours :)

• No it weakens it because you don't have contact. Do you miss people from your life that you went to school with? Probably not

• I've never been in such a situation but I guess that if you really miss someone you feelings for the person may become stronger.
    Like that other expression: "you only know what you could be missing, when you have to miss it".

• not always, it depends on what kind of person it is and it depends on the situation

• "out of sight is out of mind" this is the counter saying.

• Yeah most of the time it does I believe in that saying.

• Quite the opposite.

• I don't know

• yes... until it doesn't at all.

• we have here a saying that says the opposite

out of sight, out of the heart

• yes this fuck is really true.

• Because the mind tends to enhance positive memories, and dispose of negative ones.

• Yup! That's very true. It's a method of coping and moving on.

• it's too easy to take people for granted. Once they're gone, it makes it a lot easier to see all the things, even the little things, that made u appreciate or even love that person in the first place. :)

What Girls Said 6

• I don't know. I think "out of sight out of mind" is more realistic from my own experiences.

• lol my question was flagged. i can give you email if you know anyone willing to rate guys.

• Yes I think so. At least until enough time passes by.

• True. Certainly for me anyway.

• No the absence will make me forget them and move on

• Yes it does

• and sometimes you miss more