Is it ok to ask a guy why he and his ex broke up?

Simply that.

I've been seeing a guy for about 3 weeks now. We're hitting it off pretty well, but he's only been single for about 2 months. When he does bring her up (which has been maybe only 2-3 times) it's along the lines of "so when that went down with the lady friend..." I'm happy just being with him, but I am a bit curious bc I don't want to be his "burnt pancake" relationship. Is it ok to ask why they broke up or is that an off limits topic?

15

Most Helpful Guy

• He will tell you fairly soon. Wait for him to raise the subject. You may be able to "prime the pump" by telling him about your last relationship and why you broke up.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's perfectly fine to ask him that. But it's perfectly fine of him not to give you an answer. Some people are just private like that.

What Guys Said 4

• Wait for him to speak himself out.. don't be in a haste.. i know it is bothering you bc you don't want to be his back up option or so called burnt pancake kindaa.. but then.. you need to be a little patient as well.. he has just come out of a bad relationship.. give him time to settle.. infact 2 months is not too much time to completely forget what happened to him in the recent past.. it took me about 5 to move on actually..

• If this is a relationship that you both want to be serious and intimate, then the answer is: yes. And he should have the same right to ask you a similar question.

If this is a strictly-friends kind of relationship, then hold off for a little bit. And if you're undecided about the seriousness, hold off for a little bit. That might be getting a little too deep, too quick, since it has only been three weeks.

• it's fine to ask just don't push it

• sure.. go ahead.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!