Can you ever be friends with an ex?

when i first started going out with my current boyfriend, he was close friends with this girl. he told me they just go out to movies, lunch and just chill. then few weeks later he told me that she was his ex but they were only going out as friends. is this possible?
can you be friends with an ex? I am not in touch with any of my exes and when they do get back in touch, they all want to get back with me and not just as friends.

• Yes I can be just friends with my ex, feelings would fade.. its possible
    45%(10)46%(13)Vote50%(3)
  • Yes I can be friends with my ex but feelings will still be there
    14%(3)14%(4)Vote17%(1)
  • No I cannot be friends with my ex, feelings will still be there.. its not possible
    41%(9)40%(11)Vote33%(2)

Most Helpful Guy

• I see all these posts about EXes... Why does my ex not like me? This and that about an ex... should we get back together...

An EX means.. in the past. In my life, after any break up, an EX is out of my mind. I move on almost immediately and never think of, try to contact, check up on, etc...

Breakups happen for a reason...

I'm not talking about someone who moved away... I'm talking about relationships that ended due to cheating, abuse, incompatibility and such...

Who CARES about an EX? Who cares about what an EX thinks of them?

Then "breaks"... what's that all about? all this is is an admission you can't commit in a relationship. Taking a vacation from a relationship isn't going to fly.

ALSO... getting back together after a breakup.. or chasing someone to get back together... sorry folks, the same issues are gonna be there.

This "closure" What's that about? No such thing... So what? It's over.. there is your closure.

Move on... where you found one guy/gal, there will always be more.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 6

• It's possible, but don't do it if your hopes are to get back together in the near future.

If they want to get back with you it's probably to use you as a rebound as their current relationship might have failed or they're just feeling lonely and they remember of a girl who used to care for them 'and thats you'

• well... it depends on situation to situation and person to person. I am not proud of what I did and it is a mistake I wish I could mix. But, long story short, my ex and I started talking again after 5 months. She was in a relationship, I wasn't. And we ended up doing the dirty almost every time over the coarse of 3 months. I ended it when my conscience kicked it (super freaking late). I still have feelings for her to this day, but not as strong.

• I've been friends with my ex for a year now and it's actually pretty great being friends

• My brother's exes are still friends with him

• Not friends but once im fully/ completely over an ex he can say hello and it won't bother me id say hi back...

• I guess it's possible for some people. Others are better of just moving forward