Guys, a guy I dated seems to want to string me along, not sure what to do?

I dated this guy, we get in his car, and he tells me that he loves hanging out with me, and has never met a girl like me before who is active, fit, and plays video games, and is really kind. Then he asks if I have romantic feelings towards him. I say that I do. Right then he says he doesn't feel the same way. He says he fell for this girl who left 6 months ago and he doesn't want to let her go (she comes back in a year). We've been on a few dates where he put his head on my lap after watching a movie and I combed his hair with my fingers. He called to ask me out on Valentine's Day. Yet he told me that it was all one sided on my part (he would pay for me, open doors for me, would make comments about how I'm his S. O for the night, and hopefully many other nights. He would act hesitant on the dates, and I thought it was just because he was nervous... he wants to be best friends with me and wants to hangout with me "all the time". And that maybe later that can change into a relationship but he's confused and not sure what to do about me and this other girl he fell in love with. He took a 4 day trip, and he texted me but I didn't respond. He texted me again a couple days later wanting to go to a gym together. I told him I'm busy for a couple more hours, but maybe I'll see him there. I feel like he was either insincere in his actions or in what he told me about how he felt. What should I do? Not sure what his intentions are... do you think I could change his mind or should I let this go? I don't want to just be a girl to pass the time with until the girl he fell in love with comes along, and it's not like I can force him to move on.

4

Most Helpful Guy

• He told you what his attention are, to be best friends. To me it seems pretty clear that his heart as of now is dead set on that other girl, yet he finds you amazing and doesn't want to lose a connection with you. I don't think you can change his mind until him and that other girl reunite and see how that plays out.

What Guys Said 3

• Gonna be harsh but it seems you are just a placeholder for him at the moment and I would not be with this dude unless he wants to commit y'all can chill and everything but I wouldn't take it further

• Just tell him the truth. That you want more and want to date him. If not then you don't want to be friends and cut off all ties.

If he does like you then this will force him to date you or at least push for more. If not then you'll know he was a waste of time.

• Let this go, or else go out with him but know that it's temporary.