What's the deal with promise rings?

I know not everyone does promise rings. My boyfriend has mentioned that he wants to get me one "just not right now" and that's the only time he's ever mentioned it except to show me the ones his friends have gotten for their girlfriends. I don't know if that means that he doesn't really want to get me one and he just said that to get me off his back but now I'm just waiting it feels like. I don't really know why this bothers me but it does. Does this mean he doesn't want to give me one? Should I be worried that he doesn't want to give me one? Or am I just in my own head because everyone around me is getting one?

102

Most Helpful Guy

• It symbolizes that you promise not to suck other dudes off behind his back.

Don't put it on your finger if you just want some free jewelry.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's weird that he even MENTIONED IT that he will get you one, this is supposed to be a surprise, and maybe he is trying to surprise you, don't think about it so much, sometimes people forget about what they said, it doesn't mean that he does not love you.
    My man got me a promise ring after like 8 months of being together, after 3 years now I still have it on and Its the most precious thing i own, but it takes time until a MAN feels ready to give you something special, because it means that he Promises to be always by your side...
    But not every couple are into this :) it's just a little SIGN but it does not question his love to you at all ;)

What Guys Said 1

• A promise ring is a promise of marriage in the future. He probably does want to get you one but maybe can't afford it yet. Be patient with him if you really care about him & see a future with him.

What Girls Said 9

• I think it means he's just not sure yet if your relationship is getting to the point between where he might be thinking on engagement to just being what it is therefore he's not sure if to get you one... Promise rings are then in the future replaced with engagement then marriage rings and I think before he gets you one he needs to think if he thinks there maybe a chance he will consider getting engaged before getting a promise ring to maybe replace it in the future with an engagement one... Its a promise that "your mine"

• I think it's just the half way point between an engagement ring and commitment or more likely, a scam by jewellery companies to suggest the ring has more meaning. Don't ever pressurise him to get you one else that defeats the whole point surely? I would just not mention it again and then when the time is right for him, it will be a surprise but seriously don't dwell on it too much, it's not worth it.

• A promise ring basically means "I promise to drag this out anyway, and probably with no intentions of marriage" or else he would just give you an engagement ring. You're not missing much.

• With a "Promise Ring" Here, dear, it may be Something Special that your Eddy is not Ready for just yet. It's a Ring Thing Deal and he may Feel, it's this Commitment on your Hand that he is not Prepared for at the Moment.
    Be patient. You say he is 'MY Boyfriend,' so this is good Start. And with Anything, it has to come from one's Heart.
    Good Luck. xx

• A promise ring has a symbolic meaning. It symbolises a couples commitment to one another. It's a promise with the understanding that it will be replaced in the future by an engagement ring, then eventually a marriage ring.

It's not necessary to have one , but a nice gesture. Especially for those who are sentimental

• Honestly, I feel promise rings are not needed & kinda silly. It's like an engagement ring, but then not really. Because they're promising to be loyal to you & be with you as long as you wear that ring. Yet they're not promising to marry you! It's like the ring before THE RING. Which is just a waste of money & sentiments.

• i thought they were rings parents got their daughters to abstain from sex. the promise is from the wearer not the deliverer. so youd be wearing it promising whatever to him. not him you. you want a promise from him you get him a ring.

both of you wearing one for your relationship i guess that makes sense.

• Promise rings are more of a promising a commitment aka 'engaged to be engaged'. It's not a big deal if he gets you one or not, it's about the relationship in the end. If he's showing you the ones his friends have gotten his girlfriend it's possible he's seeing what style you're into and considering it. Don't overthink it too much.

• To let puritanical society know , they are not reckless with what's between their legs!