Should I tell my boyfriend about my criminal history?

I'm not a murderer or anything, but I do have a (now spent) conviction for shoplifting when I was younger (20, now 26). It was a difficult time in my life and I'm now so anti everything illegal it would be a complete 180 if i was to tell him this.

How would you react if your partner told you something like this?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say if it comes up naturally in conversation then sure, you can tell him, but just blurting it out might be a little odd.

As to how I would react, I'm not sure but it doesn't feel like it's too big of a deal.

What Guys Said 8

• Did this happen in the US? What state?

• Not in the us

• I am an attorney so that was my first thought!

• Hahaha well that makes sense then. Thanks for the advice :)

• No keep it a secret until she finds out and then becomes disappointed in you and then leaves you. You've watched enough tv shows to know that this will not cause her to leave you. Since everything you see on tv is real you

• You do realise I'm a girl right?

• I answered this question through the feed and by not actually clicking the question lol.

• its not that big of a crime. if no one was hurt and you now find that behavior to be ludacris then its not all that concerning. but if you feel the need to tell them as it might be nagging at your consciousness, you got right ahead.

• What's important is the person you are nowadays

• Yeah

• I would respect her and her past. what's done is done.

• I'd be ok with it... you learned from your mistakes.

What Girls Said 8

• If he really loves you he will not be mad at you trust me, everyone makes mistakes, if you want to be transparent and not to HIDE anything in your relationship tell him, i'm sure he won't take this so tragic, since like you said, you did not murder anybody.
    <3 Just be yourself, be proud of who you are, and let others accept your flaws <3

• If you see him as the guy you're gonna marry then yeah tell him. If not then I do not see how that's any of his business

• If you're building a future with someone it's best to be upfront about your past. If you don't and he finds out somehow , he'll probably judge you for not telling him.

I'd want to know about a guys past

• It's best to be honest with your partner. Personally, I wouldn't mind as long as they stopped and realized how bad it was.

• Yeah and plus it's only shoplifting. That's like super minor

When I started dating my boyfriend, I told him that I was arrested for underage drinking in public. He was fine with it.

• Oh honey shoplifting is nothing in this world he won't even care.

• honesty is best for relationships

• yes you should tell, i would try to understand.