How do I get an extremely shy guy to open up?

So I have been talking to this really cute guy from a dating site and the first time we went on a date it was awesome. I had so much fun but the thing was that I thought he was going to be talkative like he, sort of, was through texting. Turned out he was extremely shy and I chose what to do, the topics, the movie. I thought at first it was nice, sort of, new since I always been with alpha male types who dominated the relationship.
So here is the main question I want him to open up to me more and actually talk and put his opinion in to what we do more, I have no idea how to make that happen since this is new to me. I really like him and would love to get to know him more. Be great if you can help.

Most Helpful Guy

• Ask him open-ended questions. Don't ask questions that can be answered "yes" or "no." Find out what his interests are, do a little bit of online research, and ask him some questions about his interests. Guys like to talk about things they truly understand so that they can prove that they are competent in something.

What Guys Said 2

• I'm really shy. He probably isn't comfortable yet, looking for cues that it's okay for him to open up. I always suggest tackling and tickling to break the ice and get him to laugh

• I'm shy as hell, but when I meet people more shy than me I magically become a social butterfly with them as my sidekick. and I love having them there because they're amazed that I can just talk to people. you've already made your first impression, but see if you can out-shy him. at least to the point that he can relate

What Girls Said 1

• If he is extremely shy, he simply needs more time. You could try helping him out by asking him questions though.