Do you consider a person's income level when deciding if you will date them?

If we are honest, most of us have long term financial goals, but how does this apply to dating? Do you consider someone's income level when deciding if you should date them? Why or Why Not?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I don't want to have to pay for everything or take care of her like I'm her father. I want a strong, independent woman to be a partner in life. But if she's in school or at least trying then I can respect that and I won't mind. If she makes significantly more than me, then I'm fine with that as long as she is.

Most Helpful Girl

• I just care that you have a job, a few ambitions and can support yourself. That's it.

• Yay! And some honesty enters the conversation. Thank you!

• Thanks for mhgirl

• You are welcome!

What Guys Said 112

• I honestly don't at all, I've dated girls that were on minimum wage and others that were making 250k or come from wealthy families. It makes no difference to me and it's on the lowest list of priorities of what I look for. I know I'm going to be financially secure in the future so I think that has a lot to do with it.

• If she is a great person, I will over look it. Money isn't that important, yes it can make life easier, but if she has a good heart and can make me feel like the greatest person in the world, if she can make me feel like she admires me more than anybody else, then she could work at McDonald's for all I care, but on the other hand if she makes a lot of money, but doesn't act like she appreciates me, or cares about the little things in life, then I don't care if she's a model, I wouldn't want to be with her.

• Absolutely! Love doesn't pay the bills! I have always worked, made money and been solid with my financial goals and accomplishments. No fucking way am I dating a freeloader who thinks she can get a pass and make me pay for everything and support her. You wanted equal rights, now you got it! Money needs to be a 50/50 thing!

• Here's the truth:

Men - No
    Women - Yes (Like 50% of all women perhaps) and no (The remaining 50% of them)

Yay singlehood. Ain't getting no relationship with dold giggers :)
    What an attitude I have.

• Most women do not date men based on their income 'DIRECTLY'.
    That basically means that they choose guys who earn a lot but the real reason is because guys who earn a lot are authoritative individuals and are often powerful.
    I know this because I earn a lot for the area I live in and I'm worth a ton, yet I've been single for 3yrs.

Since I am a guy, NO I don't. Only women are shallow like this. A womans income doesn't affect my longterm financial goals. A guys income would affect a womans though.

• Not true... I ought earned my husband by double for many years. Then, he continued to get promoted and now makes more than I did. We were happy with both sets of circumstances.

• @GraveTruth not the smart ones

• @misstalia_95 How is a guy suppose to check a womans financing. Women go to college owe a ton, work for 1-3yrs, have a kid and don't work, go back to work for 1-3yrs, have a kid, then finally say "I'm going to keep having kids if I have to work".

I guess there are no smart women out there.

• to an extent. mostly my concern is just that they are financially independent as i am not in a position to take on a dependent

• but beyond that i don't really care how much they make so long as they can take care of themselves

• No, I never consider that. I'm young, so I don't expect women my age to earn much, anyways. The only thing I expect from her when it comes to her job, is that she earns enough for her to not depend on anyone, and that she's ambitious.
    I don't expect any of my future partners to pay for my stuff, or help me pay for my stuff, so that's why I don't care if they earn a lot or not. I'm not with someone for their money.

• Income is immaterial. It doesn't matter how much a person earns at this very moment. It may simply disappear for some reason, like workplace going out of business. If they become destitute, they are still the same person, with basically the same personality. Wealth simply doesn't matter.

• I can't fuck with broke hoes! that doesn't necessarily mean I care about the money what I care about is that she has ambition future goals and isn't content working a minimum wage job. if she has a shitty job but is working on bettering her self that's cool with me.
    I want someone that i can be successful together with I'm not down to be anyone's sugar daddy.

• absolutely not. I fucking hate money and think that it is NO way to judge a person's worth. I'd rather be broke and happy than Rich as fuck and complacent any day!

• It depends on what point you are at in your life as well as your individual priorities. If you are younger or if money isn’t that high of a priority for you then you can obviously afford the luxury of going out with whom you choose. This perspective changes as we get older and take on more socially perceived paradigms similar but not limited to getting married and having mouths to feed.

However even this doesn’t guarantee that you will lean one way or the other in the end. I personally feel that you shouldn’t date anyone who doesn’t at least drive and have the means to pay for their own meal should something occur, (like they were boring at the dinner table, we can forget the bed room)

• Yes, actually I do.. I've dated some very "career oriented" women and found that they weren't very giving.. Or nice.. at all. I don't know if you've ever been on a date with someone that was completely about themselves, but I promise, being single is better.

• not really. then again, I'm the guy.

let's see what the girls have to say about it.

• Ya I only fuck with rich multi-millionaires who can whisk me around the world on their private jets and big ass yachts.

• Not at all.

• Not particularly, no. Can't imagine many guys do.

• this is a good topic which brings up gender equality. I personally wouldn't care. but I bet there's more women than men that this would be an issue

• Never has and never will. She can make more or less then me and I could care less. What's most important to me is a connection-physical and emotional. Also, just happiness in general. 😊

• No not when I first start to date them. After spending time with them, how they handle money can be a deal breaker though.

• Obviously women do. I'm pretty sure income level is top 3 on their list

So many attractive women I personally know landed a well of hubby lol and now they're just chillin. Taking care of the kids. Socializing while he brings home the cheddar. Most of them stay home actually

You know who you are...

• I don't think it matters, the other person's income shouldn't be the factor of a relationship, as long as the person is ambitious, respects others and you enjoy the person's company, that should be enough (if not, one will not be dating for the right reasons).

someone with good determination and no money could be a millionaire in the next two years. - Alex Phillips

• I hate women that say they want rich men as partner because they want a stable life. A man with a job with a decent income can already provide you a stable life. having a rich guy is an overkill unless you obviously want something more. If that is the case, just say so or comeup with better excuse because a gold digging phony is the worst.

• Tu some point I guess guys do consider when dating girls but because guys are naturally providers I think guys don't really care..
    But girls definitely think about it for sure when they date guys

• It also depends on the couple's ambitions and future plans which can be a concern. When I married my wife I bailed her out of debt (around 25k) so we'd start on a level field. A healthy savings and a 700+ credit rating will determine where/how a couple will live later. Loans/student debt also have to be considered so yeah, it's a legit subject but not the only one.

• I value a woman's achievements and ambitions. Makes no difference to me how much she makes, I'm not looking for financial security. It works both ways, though, I ain't, for sure, "messin with no broke bitches" @moamine11

• wtf man, you don't understand me. i was just quoting the lyrics of kanye west. and what i meant with "no one cares", was that no one actually cares about what a woman/man makes. God!

• Not much to be honest. All I care is that she earns something at least.

• No. Why would I? Lol I mean as long as they put in I don't care.

• Not particularly, as long as we can support each other for the most part.

• I don't but I really should. I'm getting a little bit tired of always having to foot the bill (to include things that are just for her). It'd be nice for a girl to get something for me for once. But I'm gonna keep going how I have been.

• Most men will make more than women; so, it's only natural that women will look for a man with a job.

• More from Guys
    82

What Girls Said 65

• it kind of matters... but then it doesn't. my ex didn't make a ton of money in the military, it's a basic income unless you're an admiral or something. anyways, i developed feelings for him regardless. he is such an incredible person, i didn't give a crap about him not having money. a few weeks into it, he tells me that he had saved up and invested a lot of his money early on and had like 400k+ in the bank. lmao. it didn't change how i personally felt about him. it just made me realize he had money savvy and that i could trust him to handle the money i make.

• i want to say, before i dated him, i kind of thought it would be best for me to date people who clearly were on the road to making a good amount of money- just because i know the kind of life i want to lead, the kind of life i want to provide for my kids... so i wanted someone who could provide as much money for them as i could. i wanted us to be on the same level basically. but i was instantly attracted to my ex- all my "rules" kind of went out of the window lol

• I dont care much about if he has a job while we're just dating. But by time we get engaged, he needs to have a job because we'll both pay half and half on the house, car, bills, and wedding. Other than that, I won't touch his money, and he won't touch mine

• So, half and half, and what remains of each person's check is their spending money then?
      And they each pay for their own car/insurance, etc?

• @AynonOMouse i mean its all fine by me. He can do what he wants. If he needs financial assistance from me, then i'll happilt help out

• You sound cool with your thoughts/values.

• My last girlfriend was struggling to find a job and was on the verge of having to move back home to her parents, and it wasn't like she was 22 with this issue, either. But she had the personality and intellectual stimulation that I NEED in a person. She told me when I told her I liked her that she doesn't feel she should date because she is not settled yet and doesn't feel she has anything to offer someone. I told her I really don't care.

I see women say all the time "I just want you to have a job and ambition, that's it," and looking around at all the struggling people today I think even that could be asking a little too much, especially if you're in your early 20s. I care nothing about ambition--like I responded to your latest MyTake, I, myself, have none, lol. I do want to get married, and I do know that we have to be able to put some money together to pay bills and I have no intention of carrying anybody. But if you're trying and/or have a story I understand (and in her case, I could relate because we'd graduated from the same type of graduate program and I know how it can mess some people up financially/career-wise, so I completely understood), I don't care about income. I just wouldn't marry that person any time soon, unless I made more than enough for it to not be an issue at all. But I'd definitely be willing to wait for him/her to get settled if he/she had everything else I liked. I wish more people were like this.

• i don't really care about what's in a gy's wallet. as my bio father proved when i was a child, having money does not make you a good person.

as long as a guy has a job/is actively looking for work and can take care of himself, that's enough for me.

• Nope never. Money isn't the reason I'm attracted to a person.

• NO!!!
    I don't give a golden damn about how much my man earns as long as he treats me well, I'm independent, I make my own money don't need his.
    I just want him to be respectful to me and my family, and I will treat him like a king for that ;)

• Yes, they don't need to be a millionaire but if you have no job, that would be a no. Having even a small income means you have a sense of responsibility and if I'm thinking about a future with said person I need to know that they are willing to work for the things we will want together

• Yes. I like to be at least within the same range as the other person. Also consider earning potential because I know I will eventually be making more so I either go with someone in a good field or someone who is making more than me. Never less, because from personal experience it causes problems.

• As young as I am right now, I'm not really concerned with income level of potential partners, because most of us are students right now and are broke af. Someone's income has just never occurred to me and I didn't really consider it an important factor. I am attracted to people who know what they want though, someone with ambition. As long as that person is happy, can support themselves, and has goals, I'm happy.

• Yes I do. I dont like rich people in general, call me a prejudice person I dont care, so I wouldn't wanna date someone who makes too much money. Id date an unemployed man (which I have) before a man who makes 6 figures.

• No, but I will not date a guy who is unemployed. That means that I would have to pay for everything and Im struggling myself living paycheck to paycheck. I will feel used.

• Not at all. I'm in college, most people don't have a job. We're young, most likely in some form of debt, and that's ok. We're here to get the tools we need to start a career. His character in his poverty or riches will determine if I want to date him or not.

• No I don't. It doesn't matter to me how much they earn. If I want money I can earn my own

• Only so far as they are within a similar income bracket as myself. If they 15 grand more or less no big deal, but I wouldn't want to be with a partner who wasn't able to contribute to a decent middle class lifestyle.

• How much money he has isn't important. He just needs to be working. If he refuses to work, then that's when I have a problem.

• So far nope, but I think I would. I would not want to be with someone who has a huge debt $$$ on their shoulder.

• Income has never been a factor for me.

• It's not at the top of my list by any means or even top 10 but given two identical men, one wealthy, one not, who would choose the not?

• Nope. As long as we're compatible and I'm head over heels for him, I could care less. Love is not built off of money. I never think of that when I'm interested in a guy. If he's a hard working man, he's a respectable man.

• Not money no. I consider if they work or are getting into work because I think working is important but the actual money isn't.

• And that's because I work and I think people should wanna work toward something.

• Money does not always bring love and happiness.

• No I don't. I care more about how they spend their money. For example if they don't make a lot of money but blow what they do have on unnecessary things that would be a turn off.

• I won't lie, it would be good if the partner's income level was high but I don't care about that. For me, as long he is working fulltime of something (accounting that he's not studying) is enough for me, I just don't want lazy partners. I will also earn my own income and we share it together.

• No, I don't... I'm financially capable myself. Other compatibility factors and the way he treats me are more important to me than "income level".

• No bevause I'm a student and the persin I will date will probably be a student and students are broke unless you're a drugsdealer or so. I do care about ambition.

• No ! If I like him then I like him , money has nothing to do with my choice of dating him all that I care about is his personality

• I consider everything - the good and the bad.

• Responsibility is most important to me. Are they responsible with what they do earn? My ex was a bartender and made pretty decent money -- but he didn't have a savings account and was absolutely careless with money. It didn't bother me at first, but soon enough it really did. That's not the reason we split up, but I think if he couldn't get his finances in somewhat order than we certainly would not have worked out.

• No, especially because I make virtually no money. And, at the end of the day, aren't mutual love and mutual respect more important?

• i don't but I want him to have a job (or searching seriously for one, I don't want to date a lazy ass who like with the governement money). If not even if he work at a fast food or like a mechanic I don't care.

• More from Girls
    35