Is dating in high school actually worth anything?

It's seems to me most of my friends relationships have ended in heartbreak (as I've never been in a relationship, because I decline any offer to date a guy). I read that only 2% of high school relationships end up lasting to a marriage. So is dating someone in high school pointless? Even if you have very strong feelings for someone?

1017

Most Helpful Guy

• of course! how else will you. learn what you like in a partner? More to the point, how will you. learn what you do NOT like? lots of guys like virgins... right up until they sleep with one. (guys aren't known to be great at thinking ahead) I imagine a woman would prefer a guy with a clue as well... and if the guy is supposed to know this stuff... who taught him?

Most Helpful Girl

• If you have feelings for someone, I don't see the problem is wanting to be with them, whether you're in high school or not. It's about experience and changing as a person too. I didn't get into my first relationship until I was in college and when that ended I feel I changed as a person and learned a lot for the future relationships I've had since then.

What Guys Said 16

• Yes because it gives experience

• don't worry about things based on the fact *if they go wrong* ! start to think what If they go right ! then everything falls into the right place!!

• its not pointless, it gives you experience, good and bad. I would say not to take anything seriously though cuz its just high school. things and people change constantly and its over before you know it.

• Think of it as a place and time to cut your teeth. I didn't date in high school and it was kidna awkward after I got out

• well their is rare cases that they work out but majority most are too immature

• you could be the one to break his heart, js

• Exactly. So what would be the point in someone getting their heart broken for something that won't surely last?

• you never know till you try.

sure it's not likely that a high school relationship will last till marriage but ultimately how will you know.

• When you start to initially date it's exciting and adventurious , then as time goes by people drift away as they encounter new life's hurdles and start meeting different people. x

• No, it leads to experience in many forms which is invaluable experience for later.

• Nope

• yes dating in high and junior high even is fun and totally worth. relationships last like 4-6 months. That is good at that age.

• But isn't it pointless to be with someone, only to know that one day it's all going to end, and you won't have that person in your life anymore?

• nah, it's good to find people at the same point in life as you. dating after you finish school sucks.

• I am looking for a mate but they all are taken I'm actually 16 and focusing on my goals in life

• Not really. After high school anything won't matter anymore. Life really begins after high school.

• all end up after sex...
    relationship in high school are just limited to sex and affection..
    there is no love...
    but if you want you can...
    either you can break or get broken...
    being in the category of 2% is impossible...

either you can learn or either you lose..
    you can cry or laugh...
    these relationship really. limited to affections... not only high school but high school...
    people even know what Love is... ?

• Aren't all girls bisexual? try finding a girl for you. They'd be easier for you to understand since you are one...

• No, everyone can have a different sexuality. Meaning a girl can be straight, bisexual, or lesbian. My question was if high school relationships are worth it, not if I should be in one.

• You right they aren't. people don't date because they necessarily want to marry that person sometimes they just because it's enjoyable

• It's just good practice and someone to go out with and do things with but I would never take it that serious because they don't ever work out anyway

• If you like feeling like crap, and like what you did together when intimate to be spread around the school, then do it.
    If you don't want that, then avoid it. Even once you finish, if you are going to college, you are better off if one person in the couple is done with all of that so their future is more certain.
    Not financially certain, but the kind of work and where they want to live is certain.

What Girls Said 9

• Both my uncles met their current wives their freshman year and dated them throughout high school. They've both bern married about 20 years each

• That's amazing! I guess some things really are possible, even if they seem highly unlikely.

• Very pointless. In highschool, you are not settled in your life and are still growing as a person. You are trying to find a job, career, housing and get into the real world with no help from parents. The last thing that should be on your mind is dating and relationships until you are settled and ready in your life.

• I expect all my relationships to end. I'm a 17 year old girl and so I expect them to end. I date because falling in love is worth the heart break. Plus I learn from them.

• You only get to do high school once, you might as well have the most fun you can. Sure, everybody usually loses that high school crush but the fun you'll have together outweighs the sadness when it inevitably falls apart.

• I think its pointless.

• It's good for experience, but it never works out. I know all my friends who used to be high school couples and they all broke up after they started college or just realized they weren't close as they though.

• As someone who didn't date in high school, I'd say its worth dating so as to gain some knowledge about the opposite sex. As they say knowledge is power.

• If you think like that you ll end upi college a virgin and nobody will want you

• I'm sorry but your opinion is highly untrue. Just because someone is a virgin in college/university doesn't mean "nobody will want you." I know many people who hadn't lost their virginities until their 20s and are married with children today. It's better to wait rather than rush things. Sex in high school is not ideal.

• I respect your opinion, and when I'm older I guess I will see which way things work out. I just don't plan on losing my virginity until I'm in a relationship where I know it will last, and where the male respects me enough to wait. Until then, I'll focus on school and work my way towards that. Still, thank you for sharing your opinion. It's always good to hear different people's views from time to time.

• You're welcome :)

• Even if most relationships don't last, they are still good for experience and you can learn about what you actually like/value through that experience. And if you have feelings for someone, I don't see why you shouldn't pursue a relationship just because you are in high school.
    Maybe I'm just delusional and all that stuff, since I'm in high school and in a relationship (the only relationship I have ever had).