Would you date a guy who has a chronic pain condition like Fibromyalgia?

Assume that you find the guy physically attractive and you like his personality. He's a guy you would normally be interested in, but then you find out about his condition.

His condition isn't contagious at all but it's chronic meaning he's stuck with it forever. He tries his best to function and enjoy life, prefers indoor activities but he's not a couch potato; however, the condition significantly limits his ability to do physical things and he is in mild to severe pain a great deal of the time. He's capable of sex but it is sometimes painful for him during and/or afterward. Because of the medications he takes (seizure meds, pain meds, antidepressants), he's also unable to drink alcohol or use drugs. His diet is limited -- he can't eat sugar, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, processed foods, meat or dairy products.

Please answer seriously and feel free to leave any comments or questions.

• No, never.
    0%(0)0%(0)Vote0%(0)
  • Yes, even if he gets depressed about it sometimes.
    62%(5)50%(5)Vote0%(0)
  • Yes, but only if he has an upbeat, positive attitude toward life.
    38%(3)30%(3)Vote0%(0)
  • Other. (Explain in comments)
    0%(0)20%(2)Vote100%(2)

Most Helpful Girl

• You remind me of my crush. Before I met him, I knew for sure I would not want to be with someone who has any kind of severe medical condition because I wanted him to be fit and healthy.

When my crush mentioned about his chronic pain, and showed me how many medications he needs to take, I was a bit disappointed. The flutter took a step back.

But over the year, the more I got to know him, the more I didn't care and now the answer to your question would be yes, I can certainly date a guy with that condition so as long as he is a good person.

Our problem may be that I like to go out, and not sit at house every single day. I prefer hands on activities while out. If he can't run, jog, or bike may cause some sadness, but I don't think it will be anything major.

What Girls Said 4

• absolutely. my grandfather has it, and him and my grandmother have a very loving relationship. I do feel sad sometimes because he limits himself to a very simple life but I would absolutely date someone with it. it makes them no less of a person

• I would be a hypocrite if I didn't seeing as I'm kinda in that boat myself.

• of course, when it comes down to it all i care about is the peraonality of the person i'm seeing. its truly what shines. if anything i would want to help them.(sorry for horrible grammar).

• possibly

What Guys Said 0