Do your relationships usually start as friendships or do you go straight for dating?

Do you start as strangers with one of you asking the other out with romantic intentions, or do you usually already know the person pretty well before you start going on dates?

I can't see myself opening up to someone that I barely know by going on dates with them. I'd rather be friends first and then I feel comfortable knowing that they've already seen my quirks and accepted me anyway.

1111

Most Helpful Guy

• Most often I went straight for dating after acquaintance level. The girl typically wasn't a complete stranger but someone I didn't know well at all.

Unlike you, I actually felt the most natural this way. It felt strange to me always to take a girl who was a friend and try to elevate things to a sexual and physical level. There was always something that felt a little bit strange about it to me.

The one exception is my wife. She was my friend before we started dating. It also made our first date really awkward because I never tackled this type of situation before where I knew a girl so well already by the time we were dating. I had to actually jam an emergency stop button on an elevator and pull her for a kiss to seal the deal because the date was a total dud up until that point.

Once things heated up with her and we started seeing each other as "lovers" and not just "friends", subsequent dates with her felt a lot more natural to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm only attracted to guys who initiate contact and to guys that I have been close friends with and have gotten to know at a personal level. If I don't know him I probably won't like him unless he is extremely hot and very smart too (he has to be both hot and smart - one trait is not enough).

What Guys Said 10

• It depends on what you mean by 'friendship' and knowing the person 'pretty well.'
    I usually ask a girl out at the point of good acquaintance. I rarely ask out strangers, and if I'm interested in a girl, I usually don't wait until the friendship level before asking her out. I like to establish early on that I'm interested in her as more than a friend.

• As you get older it becomes more and more unusual to be friends first.

• The best relationships start as friendship

• These days I just call them, they show up in about an hour or 2, talk for 5 mins, fuck for an hour or 2, then she takes her pay and leaves. Just the way I like it until Realdolls are better than humans.

• It's generally better to go straight for dating.

• I've never gone from friends to dating, unless your definition of friends includes acquaintance that you've known for a while. Friendship is someone you know at least a good amount of things about, not just someone you know. And an acquaintance you know some things, like enough to decide whether they're worth your time or not. Complete strangers, only hookups

• For me it's always been from stranger/acquaintance to dating.

• Be friends first but don't stay friend for too long, try to be best friend but more. Otherwise, the furthest you can go is best friend.

• Me and my girlfriend were friends for around 2 months before we started dating and it's one of the reasons our relationship has worked out fantastically.

• friendships because we'd already know everything about each other the good and the bad no secrets the way we understand each other and everything

What Girls Said 10

• I would say more than a friendship because there's obviously more feelings there, however I think if I've put them in the friend zone thats where they will stay. I like to tell them my feelings if I want to end up dating in the near future.

• Eh well, the person I love now. He messaged me through twitter wanting to be friends. We started texting and after a week, we were crushing on each other. He's my best friend and like the only person I've been open with.

• When I was still in the dating game, I tended to mentally sort guys I met into friends, guys i'd fuck, or potential bf's. I always liked the idea of a casual acquaintance becoming more, but not so much the idea of dating a friend.

• Depends on their personal relationship. When both people are attracted to each other when they meet, theyll most likely start dating first

• My bad relationships started out just dating, my good ones started out as friends first

• friendships. Life is too short to be romantically involved with people who aren't invested in my mind.

• It depends but I would rather be friends with them before I date them

• for me either it's from stranger -friend- dating or friend-dating..

• Friends first

• I like to get to know people first, that way I know a little bit about who they are and I can trust them.