Should I apologize for being needy to my new boyfriend?

So we've been together for 2 months. All was going swimmingly well until 2 weeks ago on his birthday he seemed distant, and he apologised for it on Monday when he rang me. I said it was okay. Then, throughout the following week his communication style changed and he chose to ring me most evenings, instead of messaging and calling (later on). This struck me as a bit odd but I penned it down to his troubles and a busy week, so just rolled with it but my something still felt different with us both.
When he called me in the week, we discussed plans for the upcoming weekend. He was staying at mine, and then on the Saturday he had a baseball game to see with a friend in the afternoon. He said I could still come back to his on Saturday (and stay the night) after staying at mine on the Friday, but he'd feel bad leaving me on my own for a few hours. I said it was fine, as I could do a bit of work and take his dog for a walk (note: I have worked from his alone a lot prior to this) and I'm okay being left to my own devices.
So on Saturday morning, I voiced my concerns.
I said: "You seem a bit distant this week, is everything okay? Are we okay? I've felt a bit unsure and anxious." He reassured me everything was okay, and opened up more about what was troubling him. He also apologised for making me feel this way, but I felt guilty and idiotic as it wasn't his fault. After the convo, he also said that he needed to do some DIY and even though he was okay with me being alone at his whilst at the game, he said he'd feel bad leaving me alone more whilst doing the work. I said it was fine, and he said okay. Well the original plan was agreed I was going to be there anyway? So anyway, I feel like an idiot. I feel like I acted needy voicing my concerns and that I latched onto spending time with him when he had other stuff going on (the DIY). I'm never usually this unsure. Should I apologise or have I done nothing wrong? Should I give him a bit of space?
1
1