Why do girls mention their boyfriend in situations that are work/college related like "my bf's car is so much nicer" or leading me on what's the purpose?

This has happened multiple times and it just made me think of an incident from the semester, where we were in a group project and the girl all of a sudden starts bragging about her boyfriend but at the same time insults some, i don't get it, in several other incidents girls were flirting with me in my courses saying how cute I am etc saying we should text, hang out and even sexual comments, I decide to ask for their number and I get, "oh I have a boyfriend" or' "my boyfriend is so blah blah blah" I really don't get it what's the purpose of doing these 2 things, the first being what I feel is insulting me or comparing me to their boyfriends openly which is rude making me feel like sh! t, or the 2nd thing being girls leading me on always following me around only to throw it in my face the they have a boyfriend, I'm not the social type and I have no friends etc i honestly prefer to be myself but I'm not rude, yet it seems they feel the need to insult me like this, what is the purpose of doing this?
1
2