Can someone help me understand feelings for an ex and going into a new relationship?

Ok, my previous relationship was over 27 years start to finish, breaks in between and all, and it had apparently run its course before we finally split a little over six months ago.

I have since met someone, we've met once and spoken practically daily for about two months now, I can tell she's afraid to get any closer because of the history of my relationship, and we talk about that particular issue often.

Here's where things stand now. I still love my ex, but I know also that there's little chance of reconciliation, or I would have taken that route, she had gone on to do her thing, and it's usually days before we speak. She's actively dating, she's never around me anymore.

The issue the new gal and I are faced with, she's afraid that she is taking a great risk in becoming involved with me because of my history and feelings for my ex. I'm not sure whether I should feel totally indifferent to my ex before moving on, or if my acceptance that we aren't going to be together is actually enough.

We are all in our early forties, so I think it's safe to assume that we have some grip on our feelings. So, help me out here folks.. Do I need to be absolutely over her? Or is my acceptance of our end enough?
3
1