Can men really be scared of commitment or is it an excuse? Should I just take it slow with him and give him time or break it off?

Anonymous
This is a man every girl wants. He is extremely good looking, millionaire and an amazing lover. But he has problems with commitment due to his cold home situation with only money but no love ( surprise). we got to know each other whilst I was living in an other country and he was starting a new business. I Wanted a relationship out of him but he was not ready. We had on /off ! Until I ended it completely with the words he should only contact me if he wanted something serious. He didn't answer and ignored me for about a month ( in whilst he went crazy with other women, to make me jealous ), untill I moved to his town ( my hometown) He texted me again to apologize but not long afterwords he was flirting again, I said that I would only get into it again when he can give me commitment. He agreed and texted me a very long text how he was not ready to commit before but that it is different now and even wants more than only commitment. I agreed and we talked it over, he cooked for me , we had amazing sex and he was really sweet kissing my shoulder and so. The next day there was a party at the local café here with all my friends and his friends. He said hello a lot but it was like he didn't dare to talk and was even observing me, untill it got a little later and we were both drunk. He finally went up to me to pay me a drink and talk to me and my friend, promising her he would proof himself and she shouldn't be worried. He was not leaving me alone, went everywhere with me and if he saw someone he knew he would introduce me and even said 2 times I was his new girlfriend. He was being possessive about me when someone flirted with me, he would say friendly to the other guys to stop it. If he would go outside to smoke , he asked me to come with him. After that I went home with him and he was so sweet, we had sweet sex. I really want to believe him but he is not as engaging in the relationship as I would want and I still have the feeling he is scared or is It just an excuse?
1
2