Casual sex. Do these situations ever turn into more? Does he want more or is he just bait and switch to keep me around? Grey area?

BakeBake
Him and I have been having casual sex for almost 2 years. When started we agreed he wasn't looking for a relationship and I also agreed that I didn't want a relationship because I'd just gotten out of a pretty bad relationship. We hookup at least once a month sometimes more often.
Over the past 6 months I've developed strong feelings for him. Last month when we got together after hanging out at a mutual friends house all night I went back to his house with him and we did the deed, afterwards we were laying in bed he said to me "why aren't we more than what we are" I said "well I didn't think you wanted more" he said "well I think we should do something about that" and I said "well let's talk about it when we're sober" I wasn't sure if this was just drunk talk or true feelings. Well, the next week I didn't know how to bring it back up.. I did however ask him if he could be my date for a wedding and he couldn't because he already had plans to go hunting with his buddy out of town #rejection. We small talked a little over snap messenger and I snap messaged him "how drunk were you the other night" just to kind of see if he'd say anything back, no response but then the next day he continued sending messages a little small talk, but totally avoided that question. I decided to stop communication with him for a while to detach myself, because it still seemed like he was only after the sex. Recently we hooked back up and the sex was great and intimate as it's been for the past 6 months his kisses are very gentle and passionate, he always gives me prolonged eye contact in and out of bed. He calls me baby and seems to have a soft gentle voice when speaking to me.
How should I go about finding out if this could be more? Or is this just a dead end cycle? Or should I let things fall into place? It's been very casual a few boat rides, a few friend hangouts, but mostly JUST SEX. I want more, but I'm so confused on how to find out if it could be more. Please help!
3
2