Is it ok for a 20 year old to date a 33 year old?

Anonymous
So I'm 20 (21 in 4 months) and in my second year at college. The other day I met this guy who also studies there and I thought he was quite a good looking guy, and I assumed he was in his 20s. Anyway he asked me out for a coffe so I went and when we were talking it seemed we had a lot in common surprisingly. It was so nice because he was genuinely interested in me as a person not just interested in my body like most guys have behaved with me. He did reveal he was 33 and it surprised me but it didn't change the person he was. He even jokingly asked me if I thought he was too old, and I said no because it doesn't really bother me. He also knows I am 20. He wants to see me again and I said I would.

The only major problem here is my family & friends. I feel my mum would absolutely kill me and think I'm stupid for dating a 33 year old. I mean I'm mature enough to understand why because it does sounds like a big deal, especially if you don't know him, but I've honestly never been so politely treated. It just felt like he was one of those people, you're meant to meet in life. I told my friends about him and they advised me to not date this guy and whilst I consider this as my friends are important to me, these are also people who have had a string of one night stands and get drunk every other night. I am far more mature than anyone I know around my age. I don't drink at all, I have an excellent work ethic, earn my own money and am very sensible financially. I know I'm fine maturity wise for him it's literally what my family will think. I also don't want anyone thinking I have daddy issues just because my dad is not very involved in my life but this is not the case.
any advice?
22
10