Is he cheap or am I reading into it too much?

LifeIsStrange13
So yesterday me and this guy I've been chatting to online decided to meet. I told him I was going to this event and he said he was going too so we just met there, it wasn't exactly a date but more of a casual meet up.
He seems really nice, genuine and caring, he's very socially awkward, as I am myself however still talkative. I usually go for the 'bad boy' and obviously they never want something serious, and I end up totally writing off and nice guys.
My only concern is he has a weird thing about money... we went for food after the event and we ended up splitting the bill, which I have no issue with at all but then he said I was the coolest girl because no girl had ever even offered to pay. Then he offered to drive me home and I said I felt bad cause it was a long drive and he said if I felt that way I could give him petrol money. All I had was a tenner so I gave him that and he said it was more than generous.
I'm not sure whether I'm reading into it too much or not? The guys I've dated who've turned out to be players have always payed for me but I do find this a bit odd.
I'd never date someone for their money but I'm a bit confused! he even mentioned one girl saying that if he lived with another woman would he pay the mortgage...
I dunno if he's been used before?
What do you guys think?
7
7