Is it normal to have infrequent sex and still be happy in a relationship?

I have a friend who told me that she and her long term boyfriend can go months without having sex and still be perfectly happy. Is this normal? The most they do have it is twice a month. They're both young and fit people, I just don't understand...

1335

Most Helpful Guy

• That only works if both people have low libidos.

Most Helpful Girl

• Goes to show you that proof that dating relationships doesn't need sex. Marriage does. And of course, it is normal. It should BE normal. They should be waiting but they're not, just not having that supposedly. Not that it's anybody's business. But when people are dumb enough to say how it isn't a relationship without sex is stupid. They just want what they want: sex. There is more to a relationship than that. But if you're not looking to go to the next level, marriage, you're just stagnating yourself. Overall, they're happier because they aren't making their relationship so much about sex like other people. Hence why so many couples break up because they're miserable about the one thing they worship: sex.

• Hahaha😂 you have no idea. We worship Satan! Sex! Genitals! Pussy and Dick! Whoop whoop party. I love how many morons are on this forum

• @Shutupman

ONLY when you're married. Otherwise, you're getting duped by the chemicals thinking you're doing right.

www.webmd.com/.../theres-benefits-in-delaying-sex-until-marriage
      www.livescience.com/...ationships-study-finds.html

• Marriage is a just a human made contract nothing more. Marriage has nothing do with natural or normal. It's a social construct.

What Guys Said 34

• Yes. If both partners are okay with that, that's perfectly fine. You don't NEED to have sex to maintain a healthy relationship.

• i was going out with my girlfriend 2 months before we tried it.. we only see eachother once a week maybe 2 on occasion but sex as important as it is shouldn't be the only part of a relationship.. you need time to do other things together as a couple

• It is possible. Not everyone has a high sex drive. Sometime comfortability sets in and attraction lowers. Hence why some couples need to spice it up.
    Personally, even during my longest relationship of 7 years I constantly fingered for her.

• if both r fine its ok but what i have Experienced few days r ok without sex but not any longer unless the otger partner is sick or something.

• Normal? There's no normal, only average. I think this is pretty far below average for a young couple but whatever. It sounds like they are made for each other.

• As someone who was in a relationship where once or twice a year became the norm... screw that, no.

• You don't need to understand, and such ideas should not affect their happiness. If they are happy about their sex life let them be and don't disturb them with such stereotypes.

• I think it really depends on your libido and preferences. Some people function differently sexually. I feel that sex adds to your relationship immensely and really enhances your intimacy and closeness. Your friend seems happy without a lot of sex, which is perfectly okay. That just might not work for other people. Myself included.

• Of course it's possible. I've known people that we so in love that sex wasn't that important. It went well beyond just a physical relationship. When 2 people have perfect chemistry and genuinely in love. The sex drive can fall to the wayside.

• After a while, sex dwindles as lust subsides, but that doesn't mean the love dwindle, though.
    Also, some people are not sex crazed.
    Also also, they probably have done everything imaginable.

• It's perfectly fine if that's what they both want in a marriage. Personally, I would need to have sex with my wife twice or more a day to be happy and satisfied.

• I wonder whether his answer would be if he was asked alone with no chance of her to ding out 😂

• yes. a relationship doesn't rely on sex nor should it

• It can be normal. Or they are cheating on each other.

• Seems fine. There's more to a relationship than sex. I didn't have that much sex in my last relationship. And we first did it after 5 months (though that was mostly due to other factors). There are other ways to be intimate too, you know.

• sex is sooooooo important. It is not... Sex is not so important. If they can go without sex for months then they mus have somw conncetion between them that is above their lusts

• that's ok. if they still love and care each other and also they aren't like to each other then it is totally fine

• Yes... It's possible... But if I'm him then I'll not let her alone... But still there may be a factor of statisfaction missing

• oh yes no issues.. married for 10 years sex was important but now long duration without but still love intact

• Months without? How is this even possible?

• Thats exactly what I thought!

• They do kiss and cuddle and are very affectionate.

• I don't understand how their affection can just stop at a certain point and cuddling and kissing never leads to anything

• NO grandparents?

yup, now you have that immage stuck in your mind..

• it is possible , life is not just always about sex , lol

• A GOOD RELATIONSHIP IS BASE ON MUTUAL RESPECT TRUST NOT SEX IN MY OPINION

• you can masturbate while having phone sex

• sounds like my ex and honestly it happens some people can go with out some can't

• whatever floats your boat

• The dynamic of everyone's relationships are different, if it works for them it works for them.

• Yes... Its Fine

• yeah it is perfectly normal love isn't all about sex

• I believe it is perfectly fine.

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 12

• It's normal. Not everyone is crazy about sex and other things are more important in a relationship.

• Not everyone has a high sex drive. If they both have low sex drives then they are probably both very content in their relationship. This would only be a problem if one of them desires more sex and is secrety stewing over it.

• They could both be asexuals or have very low drives but still want the companionship. If that's the case, then it's fully possible they're both happy that way.

• Yes of course because they're in relationship and in a relationships even like sweet little things matters. It doesn't need sex to be always includes in it. The most important thing they both enjoy is the company of each other and sex is just the reward they give to themselves.
    That's a very good kind of relationship they have and I salute both of them for that.

• the only times when i heard couples said they were fine without having sex with other..

later got to find out either one partner is cheating.

happened ALL THE TIME.

not saying itll be accurate for your friend. but usually in my opinion, one usually is cheating, and the other partner is made to believe their sexual life is all cool.

of course, they could really just not be into it.

• Its fine really... some relationships are like slow burning embers and some are raging firestorms but as long as they can be happy with each other then these things shouldn't matter. And normality is overrated anyways after all, almost everything in this world has exceptions why should this be any different?

• So what? Sex isn't all that important and it's definitely not necessary all the time in a relationship. There are more important things to worry about. And you can very well be in love and happy without having sex frequently.

• They sound like they have compatible sex drives. If both are happy, both are happy.

• Busy life style

• They can be if they are both fine with it, and both have low sex drives. But if one of them didn't then that person would be unhappy. Hopefully your friend knows for sure that their partner is truly happy with less sex.

• Omg would absolutely not work for me.. im horny 24/7, had sex with my boyfriend almost every day, often more then just once a day

• Tho now when I'm not in a relationship I do not have sex, I don't think casual sex is good

• Maybe