How can I avoid being awkward on my first date (literally my first date ever)?

So there's a guy I met at college who is done now and working but I'm still taking classes. I've tried asking him out because he's shy but it interferes with his work schedule so I believe he wants to go out when I have my college break which is a week long so he can decide what day works for him and then I'm completely free.

This will be my first date ever and I'm also shy, as I said, he is too now, and he wasn't that shy before. We talked before and hung out a bit at college, before I showed interest in him (I could tell he really likes me) but I think knowing it's a date would make me feel awkward since I've never been on one and we are both not that chatty and don't know each other that well. I don't know what we will do. We might decide when that time comes.

Any tips?

1114

Most Helpful Guy

• Just be yourself, take it easy and roll with the punches. Treat him like you would a friend, and let it evolve from there.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can't because both of you are just awkward people. And it's fine.^^

Overall, please remember what the goal of this date is. To find out who you both are as people and whether or not you two share the same goals, views, morals about love, sex, etc. Don't drink!!! You don't want to make the wrong impression if he doesn't like girls drinking. If you feel you aren't ready then be honest and tell him. Just make sure both of you aren't getting emotionally attached so quickly, and you get whatever it is that you need to ask out the way just in case he is not for you.

• We don't know each other that well so I guess that's the first step.

• @Asker

Always be yourself. That is the whole point of dating. Processing and eliminating those who are and aren't for you. Mainly before you become official. Say you want marriage, and wait for sex, he may not. You want to make sure you can be involved with somebody you're comfortable with. The last thing you want is to have so much fun, you forgot about important things, or he starts getting to sexual and whatnot on the 1st date. You want to make sure you understand his intentions for saying yes to a date, and him for your reasons.

What Guys Said 13

• Either do something active so you can keep the conversation flowing by talking about what's around you or if you're planning on having a meal, do something like a movie before you eat. Your goal should be to keep the conversation going well even if you think you're taking a kind of random turn

• 1. Dont think about the eventual outcome. Just try to enjoy the time.

2. Don't think too much about how you get perceived. Listen and look at him. Talk about yourself. Have energy.

3. Have 2-3 backup questions for when the conversation takes a hold.

• When you walk out of your home, raise your hand up to the sky and say "Oh Curse you awkwardness Gods." The date will still end up being awkward but at least you've called out the culprits.

• Just ask him about himself and talk about his day and things, ha family and the convo will go on and on

• You're both going to be awkward, and that's okay. Don't worry about it.

• Embrace the akwardness with a smile.

• Pretend he's one of your close friends don't picture him as "that cute guy". you'll be alright champ

• You cannot, you just deal with

• Take a shot of whiskey. You'll be boosted with confidence.

Some call alcohol liquid courage.

• Get out of you're head. Don't overthink it, just be. it'll be done

• Just be relaxed an don't over talk keep it short an simple when being ask a question

• masturbate before the date.
    It will relaxe your body and clean your mind.

• be who you were when the guy met you, that's why he wanted to date you

What Girls Said 10

• Ugh! I get so shy in front of guys, especially attractive ones (even if I'm not interested!).

What I've done that's helped me is to really compensate, in a way "convert" my nervous energy. Like, when I'm nervous, I get really loud and jittery. So I would just take a deep breath, and act *super* chill--to the point where to myself I seem aloof, or tired/sedated. It feels too calm to me at the moment but on the outside, the "sedated" vibe and "jittery" vibe cancel each other out and as a result, I appear cool and normal.

Second, sometimes you may have to "break" the barrier. Loosen up your mental filter *juuust* a bit, don't think too hard, and don't be too hard on yourself. Do you remember every little detail to every conversation hat you've ever had in your life? Probably not. Neither does he (and most of us are too worried about ourselves to finely criticise anyone else anyway). So just think, "he's going to forget most of this." Pressure gone!

And if all fails, just know that either of you could die at any second. So make your time together worth it. Have fun! Relax!

• Do something where talking isn't the main focal point but where you can talk. Id avoid the dinner and a movie idea because those are the two extremes; one where you're expected to talk, and one where you're expected not to.

I'd suggest playing pool, bowling, rock climbing, amusement park, drinks/dancing, etc. I mean these are my date preferences anyways but they are good first date ideas as well I think lol

• Do something that you can talk about. My ideal date is at something like a boardwalk. You can talk about everything you see if the conversation isn't flowing otherwise. If you run out of stuff to tell him about yourself you can ask which of the food stands he'd like and what sounds most appealing to you or what kinds of rides you like to go on or which ones scare the heck out of you and such!

• I told my first date ever that he's my first date 😂😂😂. Just so he would tolerate any awkwardness, if you are his first date too, just enjoy each other awkward behaviour

• Karaoke! Invite family member along! Believe it it not, that can actually be an ideal first date. Gaming arcade! Dance together! Pull prank's on people! Be kiddish! Do a painting! Write a story together! Write a questionaire/quiz for him, such as...

A) 5 worst memories
    B) 5 fave songs

Etc. You get what I mean, right?

Show him who you are. Aggressively push your shyness off and be creative! Pretend he's a celebrity and teasingly interview him! Haha.

Tell him he's honestly a king! Make him feel not shy! Okay? That's my advice. Take it or leave it.

• Never. It's impossible

• You should have a drink before you go out.

• Definitely a possibility

• I really think you should. Just a glass of wine. You'll loosen up. You want to enjoy your date.

• You tube Matthew Hussey #1 rule for a perfect first date

• just be yourself and have self confidence

• Have a drink before you go out, not too much! Just enough to settle the nerves.

Then as recommended already, do something fun / active on your first date. E. g. Bowling

Be yourself, if he likes you & you like him it will be fine.