Have you ever been the third wheel? And... how bad was it for you?

For those who might not know, being a third wheel is when three people hang out and two of the three people are really into each other. The third person generally ends up feeling awkward.

I was the third wheel for ten hours today. I was studying with my friend when her crush crashed our study session. Sigh.

Most Helpful Guy

• Sure I think everyone has been a third wheel at times...
    But it really depends on the couple - I mean the older you get I notice it less that couples just sit there and spooky up with each completely leaving the other out... now a days, most are married and they just act normal - everyone seems to be included...

Third wheel is more for people you don't know well or when younger...

• I agree- but these two aren't a couple -yet-... so I don't think they're established enough to not be intense around each other.

• Lol, yeah. That's the way it seems.

Med school, no other option tbh.

• Oh yea makes sense... they make you remember a lot during the first and second year...
      Are you excited to be a doc? A women doc... well, you're surely going to wow the guys when you go on dates later on hahah

'She's defiantly a good catch' is what they are going to tell you...

Most Helpful Girl

• I while back I was at a bar with a friend. A guy came to ask us to their table, and we went. She became the third wheel because the guy who asked us to the table only seemed interested in me. We left their table after a while because my friend was feeling super uncomfortable being the third wheel.

Then a little bit later another guy came to ask us to their table and this time I became the third wheel. I was meant to talk with the guys friend but it was SUPER awkward. We just didn't click and at the same time my friend and the guy were really hitting it off. I decided to leave to talk to other random people so that I didn't have to feel like an outsider.

What goes around comes around, I guess. 😅

What Guys Said 24

• That sounds miserable. One other thing that sucks is when you're into one of the people who is clearly only there to see the other person. That is both awful and depressing. One of them is your friend so you have to act like you're into the situation and all that.

It's just an all around bad time.

• That is indeed depressing :( Such awkwardness...

• Haven't you heard, Red? If you're anything less than happy about her finding joy with someone else, if you feel sadness over her passing you over and fibding happiness in someone else's arms, then you never valued her as a person?

;)

• @Bluemax ah life lessons that I must be mindful of lol

• Yeah. A friend of mine invited me to hang out with him in Nashville. He brought another 'friend' along. It quickly became apparent that the two of them were on a date, and the only reason I was there is so he could tell his wife that it was just a group of friends hanging out.

It would have been bad enough if it was just super awkward and made me feel kinda used, but what made it so much worse is when we got back to his place after dropping this chick off, his wife was asking all kinds of questions. She knew what was up.

Later that night, he called and told me his wife had kicked him out and asked if he could crash at my place. I told him to sleep on the street where he belonged, and we haven't spoken since.

• I would rather coat myself in chocolate syrup and jump into an ant hill then 3rd wheel. Its happened too many times for me and I refuse. I find an excuse, politely tell them I am not interested in "tagging along" or bluntly (in the last instance I was) say "You had your chance and you said I only see you as a friend. Have fun with your boy friend."

• For the past six years I've been the odd wheel out. At times it's sad because it reminds me of what I lost. However, usually I am happy just to be with friends.

• :( I'm sorry

• (Sigh)

I am glad to have known her.

by the way, I believe being a widower gives you more credibility than just being single. I dunno. It's like people find you less awkward.

• Screw the 3rd I've been the 5th before...

But I thrive on it, making everything as awkward and uncomfortable as possible! Like sitting in between the happy couple, or putting your arm around your guy friend and looking into his eyes adoringly 😂

I guess if you don't have that class clown personality, it might get legit awkward.

• When I hang out with some friends at the time, and there was 3 of us, I was the 3. Wheel all the time. They even had to be into each other. They were having a conversation and…my body was there. My mind wasn’t, since there was no point.
    Now, much later, I’m starting to discover, that it’s caused by my personality, most likely. Non-aggressive in conversation. Topics, which nobody cares about. Solution? Hand out with just 1 person at time. 2? No, that’s wrong number. 3 might work, but… And more, than 3? I end up sitting there, thinking about stuff…

• I was born to be 3rd wheel

• lol. i feel that way too sometimes.

• just start to play games on your mobile and piss them with your antics or starts to hit your knuckles on the table, just start doing something wired or just order the coffee and drink in a weird way by making unusual sounds and laugh at everything or start some social discussion, i always have a way out when i think im turning in to a third wheel but eventually becomes the first wheel

• I usually try to occupy my mind with something else.

Try being the 3rd wheel when your friend is dating YOUR crush. much harder to cope with.

• Yes and it was awkward lol thankfully they helped to make it less awkward

• My best friend is married and my other one is heading in that direction. I'm always the 3rd or 5th wheel. But I'm also the child stuck in a mans body as you know so I have my fun with it 😛

• I was very upset, and basically removed myself from the situation. I don't think they understood why, I made me excuses and left.

• yes it sucked. friend and I were invited to go hang out with another friend of our who was married. that friends wife arranged it to hook up her single girlfriend with my friend. I was so pissed to be used and excluded like that, when I figured it out, I ditched him there and left. never returned to the married friends home again.

• I've been a 5th wheel before but then one of the girls ended up ditching my friend and tried to get comfortable with me

• somehow I have to pick her up take her to my "friends" house and then get the brush off..
    she called hours later for a ride home.

• Sounds like fun, now u can do it to someone else.

• No?,

I wouldn't want to be haha

• All the goddamn time.

• all the time

• once. and it sucked

• Yep, and it always sucked...

• Who cares! Find a cute boyfriend ASAP!!!

• Lol none of my friends have or have had a girlfriend 😂😂

• I was basically their driver. Who wasn't getting paid. And was told to stay in the car.

• lmao. damn. that blows :p

• Worst part? I was stuck in the car for three hours... My 3DS died halfway through...

• I've felt it. My current girlfriend was dating someone else before I admit my feelings to her, and there was another couple as well. I was actually the fifth wheel, which was pretty... depressing.

What Girls Said 12

• I have been the 7th wheel. X) 3 couples and only me single.

• Wow. just... wow.

• It's all good. We all get along. And one of my friends really make an effort to not make me feel awkward to the point that I think her boyfriend ends up being the one feeling left out. X)

• im a third wheel everyday in my life😢

• Yes. When younger sister's 2nd to recent ex before her current boyfriend 'n' her were together, she would invite me to have some sister time. But would still bring him along, and then pay majority of the attention to him. And 8/10 times they would argue. And I was wondering how I could even be single @ the time.

• Of course, I'm sure everyone has been a third wheel at some point, as for me the moment I start feeling like I third wheel I just take off, I'm not gonna sit around if I'm unwanted.

• https://youtu.be/Z3if9AdTGUU

Nope, anytime I saw that coming on I bolted like a flash of lightning.

• Nupe.

• Yes. When I dated my ex, his best friend always came along. Sometimes it felt like they are on a gay date and I'm the third wheel. I think that's the worse level of third wheel I felt. I've been the 7th wheel a few times.

• I was never the third wheel but I know someone who has... he wasn't thrilled about the idea, actually I kinda feel sorry for him :(

• lmao I even third wheel my "friends"

• I've been a 3rd wheel once before.

• My whole life

• I didn't let that happen