How important is appearance for you if it comes to dating?

Or to put is differently: How shallow are you?

821

Most Helpful Guy

• Im shallow when it comes to booty. Everything else is not that important (altough im more attracted to some facesthan others, and i got a hair preference as well, but those things are just preferences , not necessities). Unfortunately booty is just so ingrained together with feminity in my mind that i can't do without it. Maybe its because the females in my fam got either a big or perky butts, and i grew up around booty.. Either way, thats the one physical aspect im most shallow about. Other than that , im looking for a good personality, for a long term relationship.

Most Helpful Girl

• To be fair, I reckon everyone cares about appearances, if they say they don't they're lying. Though that sounds shallow, what I will also say is that everyone also has their own preferences. To me, like most answers on here, someone can be very attractive, but have a shit personality, which makes them badddd because i want someone with a good personality! but if I happen to meet someone who has a fantastic personality that works with me, but not the greatest of looks, I would try to see if I can make it work. Which I actually have done in the past, but funny enough that person left me, lol (im no stunner either but bloody hell)

What Guys Said 20

• There needs to be some attraction. Doesn't mean they have to be "perfect 10's", just means I have to find you attractive to me. And it's not ALL looks, personality can play a big part in that attraction.

• That's a brilliant opinion - In our superficial society we often forget how complex attraction is.

• Shallow? I see your point but
    appearances tell a deep story of one past, present & even future habits to come that I must deal with and weigh in the scales if a future with this date begins to gel
    e. g. she's really a model gorgeous but her closet & car are messes, even after her girlfriend cleans them up as best as possible = many days that could be golf or other fun will be used for being her maid, crystal ball says
    e. g. she's not taking care of her appearance, cares little about it = you could be spending too much time in ER, crystal ball says
    e. g. she's all about dressing up every part of herself, can't pass a mirror w/o staring = all future time spent on her, not much on me, ball says

• Appearance makes you attracted in the first place. Then you see what the personality is like. If the personality is bad, you could be a VS model and I wouldn't find you attractive haha

• Looks go a long way at first meeting. But if I meet you through friends, and get to know you, I can see past the looks, good or bad, and make a far better judgement after

• Right because people can easily change their personality, status and intellect. For some reason society likes to shame caring about looks. Despite shame, realistically we are sexual beings so most care about looks.

• appearance is what kick-starts the conversation that starts a relationship, so it's important but once i know someone has an ugly personality they could be the best looking in the world but that wouldn't stop us from separating.

in short I am very shollow when it comes to personality, and if appearance isn't repulsive then I don't mind

• you can't really call it shallow. you're either attracted to them or you aren't. trying to force yourself to be attracted to someone you aren't can have serious mental repercussions.

No such thing as shallow. just personal preference. "shallow" is a word created and used by someone who wants to belittle others while raising themselves on a pedestal

• Here's the thing. Looks generally are the first thing attracting you to a person, but what is important when dating is your attraction to their personality.

Anyone who prioritizes looks over personality in a relationship doesn't know what they want.

Being sexually attracted to your partner is important, but if you love someone and have a great connection they'll always be pretty to you.

• both looks and character can get me talking to you, but good looks are very important - sometimes style does not matter all that much either.

• It's so-so

• Looks don't matter to me and i never date real pretty girls.
    I like a girl who has a pleasant personality.

• okay but attraction in itself is shallow if you think about it? you want to date someone because they like children? that's shallow to those who don't, you want to date someone who spoils you crazy? that's unfair to those who can't afford it. personally I value intelligence and attractiveness. 45% intelligence and 55%attractiveness. both shallow aspects?

• Somewhat

• scale of 1 to 10 for being shallow I'm a 7 which is pretty good compared to a lot of guys I know

• Looks are important, it shows what kind of a person you are.

• Do they? The only thing looks tell me if a person cares much for their appearance which could be a good or a bad sign.

• You just can't see. As by the way someone talks and behaves you can learn what kind of person is, same goes with the way someone dresses. Those who observe people pretty much by the first look they know what kind of person one is.

• take me as I am or don't.

• got a homeless guy there that wants a date. how about THAT?

• It's hard to describe but if a girl manages to make me hard as a rock, she is good enough for me.

• Unfair to say 'shallow'. People are entitled to want attractive partners, attraction is going to be a big part of what keeps you together

• 98% shallow 👌

• you must have a hot fig like a model
      Face like a goddess

• You'll be alone a long long long long time. Enjoy your loneliness. Or should I say, your hand. You're too much of a pussy so you're anonymous. I hate your types.

• I don't give a Damn

What Girls Said 7

• How is a person shallow for being physically attracted to someone?

My boyfriend would dump my ass if he thought i didn't find him physically attractive , and was only with him coz of his personality

If a person didn't take appearance into account then they'd just date anyone and everyone

Those who define people as shallow for having preferences are generally insecure about their own appearance, and struggle to find a date themselves.

EVERY human takes appearance into consideration. We just all have different preferences. I once dated a guy who a lot of people thought was " ugly" . I was found him physically attractive though. That doesn't make me shallow.

A guys appearance initially attracts me, but it's his personality that determines if I continue to date him or not

• Well obviously looks sort of trump things in the beginning because lets face it you see someone as attractive you think they are great. Not saying once you get past the original wow factor you may find out they have an ugly personality. with that being said you may have a friend who you weren't originally attracted to at first and then got to know them and their personality makes them very attractive

• It is important to me. I wanna feel attracted to him and want him to be attracted to me.
    At first glance, I shouldn't go : O instead I should be able to hold eye contact.

• Its important for girls, because we want to have good appearance in front of boys, not just for attracting, just to show that we are neat and clean. but thats for the first 2_3 dates, rest of them its focused on behaviour. if u have good personality and behaviour, ur appearance will be more beautifu

• pretty damn important

• It's kinda important. I don't know why.

• It's important enough to catch someone's attention. I mainly look at the face tbh, but an average to above average body is appreciated.

The physical attraction is needed, you don't have to be an Adonis, but I can't be with someone I don't feel attracted to.