Do you believe that relationships work if you give it a second chance?

Do you believe that giving a relationship that hit rock bottom a seance chance will work out successfully?

• Yes
  • No
Select a gender to cast your vote:

1616

Most Helpful Guy

• In my experience, second chances don't work.

For example: My ex girlfriend in high school cheated on me. I immediately took my belongings back from her, and went no contact. Fast forward a few weeks, and she wound up begging me for a second chance. The guy she had left me for was abusive and as she said, "He didn't care about me and never listens to me."

I gave her a second chance. The first few days were great, and then she went back to her old self. She was acting still cold and distance towards me, just like she was before I found out that she was cheating.

After two weeks of that, I was scrolling through my Instagram feed, and as it turned out, she went to our senior prom with another guy, and had spent the weekend at his family's cabin.

I called her out, and we haven't spoken since. So, as I said before, second chances don't work. Generally speaking, people break up for pretty serious reasons. And it should stay that way.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope. I've experienced it, and seen it with so many other couples. It just doesn't have a solid enough foundation. If you are willing to break up over your issues, they are obviously bad enough to be deal breakers. The same issues tend to arise the second time around.

What Guys Said 15

• Not unless something changed drastically in one or the other or both. Otherwise, what would make it a different outcome from the first time around?

I will also tell you that once a woman loses the FEELZ it ain't never comin' back. You cannot negotiate attraction, desire, or passion.

• No tbh. They will never work out because there will always be previous quarrels that get brought up etc. Just like resuming a saved game. U just start off from where u left, without a breath of fresh air. Whatever that was said and done, good (and bad, especially bad) lingers on to become fuel for future fights. eventually ur gonna be stuck with a bigger hole to patch the next time a quarrel breaks up.

• I tried it and it did not work out at all

• It's not a definite either way. People change, and it's possible for the second time to be a relationship between very different people... that or it just ends up being a rehashing of everything that went on the first time around. It's not so simple a matter that it will always result in something good, or even that it will always result in something bad.

• i don't really feel like giving relationships a second chance necessarily makes them work. it can help a relationship work but i'd wager that more often than not it doesn't

• Honestly Jade, no. Depends on what happened but most likely no because hate rid could be there.

• Not usually, no. I'm a pretty big believer that relationships fail for good reasons, and that those reasons will almost always resurface if the people get back together.

• Some will, some won't. it all depends on the people involved and why a second chance was necessary. I've given a second chance only once before where things turned out fine. The rest of the times, I only delayed the inevitable.

• Relationship work if you learn and grow from mistakes.

• Sometimes yes sometimes no

• Quite possibly.

• Seriously, you left him/her for a reason. Why try again?

• Try, but you cannot forecast in advance

• Sometimes

• Almost never

What Girls Said 15

• Depends. Did the reasons the relationship hit rock bottom and end become resolved successfully for both parties? If so, and both have matured during the process and are committed to making it work, then it's possible it could work out the second time.

• We both saw the faults and is working on it, my concern is he was on dating sites and actually went on a date while with me so that resulted to us breaking up.. but we got back together a week ago.. just concerned if he's still on those dating sites..

• Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. Don't let him sweet talk you-remember this is the clown who went out on a date while he was your boyfriend. So if you are giving him another chance then you should make sure he's playin by your rules not his

• You're right. thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

• I'm sure it was just a typo, but that is some damned ironic misspelling. A "seance" chance, like conjuring up a dead thing...

Yes, I think two people in a broken relationship can reconcile and fix things. But it's extremely rare and difficult.

I think it's easier to agree to a mutual separation, and then maybe see how you are in a few months or years to try again when you've grown some. Not saying that you're immature, but sometimes, only life experiences can prepare you to deal with such things.

• Only if you know what broke you up and you know how to fix the problem, and you are both willing to put in the effort to make it happen, and truly care about each other. Most of the time, people get back together with their exes because they don't want to be alone or they believe that a fresh start will magically make things better. It doesn't work like that.

• It might. It really depends on why it hit rock bottom. If there was cheating, abuse, loss of feelings or things just didn't work out then no of course not. However if it were to be one person had to go away for a long period of time and that created a wedge in their relationship, then they came back and hit it off again it could work out.

• Only if you want to make it work, if it's a mutual feeling I don't see why not.

• That problem will always be there in the relationship, they'll just be better at hiding it more - but it will still be there. You can't change someone. No matter how many breaks, arguments - they are who they are and you can't change that.

• Yes. But it highly depends on why it ended the first time.
    If the 2 broke up because of factors that were way beyond their control (for example distance) then it can work the 2nd time. But if they broke up because they are incompatible, then it will most likely not work even if you try 100 times.

• i think it CAN, but it depends on the people, why it hit rock bottom, if both can get past why it hit rock bottom, both peoples commitment to try to make it work out..

• If you can't keep a ship from sinking, why would you assume it can float the second time? It can, but only if you both work really hard to repair what went wrong the last time. If nothing changes, you might as well have stayed apart.

• If you are both willing to work on it 100%.
    Our marriage hit rock bottom and we have sorted out our problems.
    We've fallen in love again.

• Generally I'd say a second chance for the same relationship won't work. But a new relationship with a former partner can work out if you've both grown and the issues have been resolved. It takes a lot of communication from both parties though. I've seen people reconcile and get married after a restraining order so I'd say anything i possible :P

• It depends on the nature of the breakup. Second chances for cheating are not on my day planner.

• keep repeating what doesn't work is the definition of paranoia.

• if it already hit rock bottom at one point then i don't think there's any hope to restore it

• you'll get hurt. let it be.