Should I break up with him because his family is racist towards me?

1017

Most Helpful Guy

• No. Personally, I wouldn't give it too much thought, because now their now taking up space in your head and not paying rent. Next, cultural changes tend to coincide with generation. So there's a good chance he has some unintended bad habits but may not be racist in action.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, you should. Because you don't want anything to do with that. You can't change your family. I'm not saying he's bad like them, but the fact is you can't do anything about it. You don't want to be involved with somebody who disrespects you. There are long-term consequences from being in that kind of relationship, especially if you want to get married and have children.

What Guys Said 16

• Is he, his own family or is he himself?
    Do you love him? are you honest with him?
    does he love you, is he honest with you?
    if you answered yes then don't think about breaking up over small things.

• It definitely sounds like a conversation needs to be had about their treatment towards you.
    Firstly I’d ascertain if your boyfriend is aware that it’s happening and if this behaviour has happened in the past. Depending on his answer, you might want to decide what to do from there.

• Let me ask you a question. Do you date him or his family? :-)
    And another one. How is he towards you, what are his relationship with his family members and how much is he influenced by their opinions?

• He isn't influenced by their opinions at all but they said some very racist hurtful comments to me.

• OK. Don’t take them (and yourself, for that matter) too seriously. I don’t know, how to explain this, but just…don’t get offended. If someone try (or not) to offend me, I just…don’t care. You need some level of detachment.

• If this makes you uncomfortable and he doesn't talk to his family about their remarks to you than i would break it off, if he loves you he would speak to his family and make them aware that their racist remarks will not tolerated.

• Just avoid his family.

• i agree with what have been said. if he defends you, then you should stay. otherwise leave him telling the reason.

• Are you dating him or his family?

• If he isn't putting them in check at all, I would, personally. Sitting back and letting it happen is kind of shitty.

• Why break up with him? If he treats you well, than that is what matters. Everyone's family is like that to some degree.

• dump the family, not the poor guy

• Don't if he's not racist towards you himself don't hold him responsible for his family just try to avoid them if you can

• No, not for that reason alone. If he does not defend you then yes. If he does defend you then ignore the racist family and live your happiness with him.

• Not if he isn't going along with it.

• before taking any decision try to find out what the guy feels about this

• No. How are they being racist?

• i think it will be biggest mistake to break up with him because of his family

What Girls Said 9

• you can still try and stay with him but the fact that his family is racist will always be an issue and will cause some problems in the long run

• He's not responsible for his family so no, but I hope he defends you when it happens or plans to have a serious talk with them about it instead of letting it slide

• That would be awkward for me, I don't how that would work. Is he telling his family what they're saying isn't okay when they say it to you in front of him?

• Is he racist towards you? If not then no try and resolve the situation rather than losing him

• You should if he doesn't stand up for you

• Sure. Why cop with that unpleasantries?

• Wow thats tough... damn, i feel like i should be able to answer your question without hesitation since I am Hispanic (heres the breakdown of all my past relationships starting with first boyfriend when i was 19 - he was half white half latino, boyfriend #2- white, boyfriend #3 Jewish -American and boyfriend #4 Italian- American. I am lucky i guess. Their families all treated me very well. At least, to my knowledge,

• well explain what his acts when his family showing their racist towards u...

if he not try to defend u... means no need to continue ur relationship

if he try to make u and his family in good term... saying things to make them like u... u can try

• Yeah