Has Anyone Made You Feel GUILTY for Being in a Relationship?

This is an add on to my other question as someone I know brought up a really interesting instance where someone she knew tried to make her feel guilty for having had a boyfriend after he refused to get serious with her. I've had guys do similar things to me as well, basically trying to guilt trip me into feeling bad that I found someone and they're subsequently feeling as if they aren't good enough or missed out.

What about you gals and guys?

1637

Most Helpful Guy

• If I did it would be my parents. Despite being 17 they still are against the idea of me dating. They're pretty conservative (don't condemn them for it, I share most of their beliefs and ideals). Basically they don't want me getting hurt, or getting someone else hurt by being in a relationship and then breaking up when it doesn't work out. It kind of frustrates me when I find there's a girl I like and I don't feel like I can be open about the fact that I like her with my parents. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents. At times I feel like they will condemn me or make me feel like I've done something wrong by finding that I'm interested in a girl or want to go out with her.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've had people say how could "a girl like me", what ever that is supposed to mean, have a boyfriend and they don't. So basically some people feel they deserve a relationship more than I do.

What Guys Said 36

• my mom used to for almost every relationship i had. i think it was more just some weird personal issue for her

• No, but people who actively tries to make you second-guess or sabotage your relationship when it is virtually none of their business is pretty much the entity of pettiness.

• In before "Hey baby" or "Hey follow me I have to ask you a question"

I've had that yes, female "friends" who've tried to at least. Because I friend zoned them because I didn't see them that way or we simply didn't click because we don't agree on important aspects.

• No quit simply they're saying that because they want you. I haven't had that actually yes but it was the case where they wanted me and they never got me so they went with someone else to try to get to me jealousy wise but it still never worked. The best thing is it was all natural and I was completely innocent and oblivious 😂. But no fact is if we were meant to be together then we already would be i'm not going to sorry for following my heart.

• Absofuckinglutely not my problem.

• Yes, multiple times. Basically, when I was rejected by a girl, then got together with another, the forst got jealous and tried to make me feel bad. No matter though. I don't let these get to me.

• yes only You 😂😂

• what!..

you actually took me seriously for a second

beside what will a stupid guys like me who never kissed a girl! know about love or relationship!.
      😂

but it was good to see a question from you gorgeous

• No..

• Hasn't happened to me personally, but I have a few friends who have experieced it.

• My mum constantly makes me feel guilty for failing to find a date, if that helps :D

• @Unit1 well if that's so much of a problem for you maybe you consider moving back. Once your CV is full, getting a job is eazy

• That's what I'm currently on buddy. I'm collecting those years of experience at my current employment and finish my studies. It will be a very long time full of singlehood-pain, GirlsAskGuys browsing, desiring and missing the ladies and hard constant work but hopefully it will be all worth it.

The prolonged lack of my love life manages to impact my overall well being, psychological health and happiness.

• Feeling guilty for giving my virginity to Paul

• Well what if a girl tells you how they're not happy in their relationship, and you like her why not?

• Never been in a relationship, so nope.

• I've felt guilty for splitting up with someone.

• What made you feel guilty? her reaction or that you still had feeling for her?

• sorry for that, hope all is better now

• No such experience, so far

• My ex did. Constantly.

• not to me but some friends it did

• yaaa, a lot not my friends but the elder people, they think it's a crime

• Yes. A girl I worked with a long time ago. She was obsessive, though.

• She is very pretty. I believe you are the one who calls her ugly Italian alien because you do not like how you look. You want people to agree with you so you can feel better about yourself. You think your opinion is the end all be all which is not the case. Those who disagree with your opinion you think are lying. Get over it.

• What? Lmao. Dude I don't know what you're on about, this question has nothing to do with attractiveness and I don't have low self esteem. Who pissed in your wheaties bro?

• If you feel guilty in a relationship it means you are not willing to be honest with them, leading the other person on etc

• I don't feel guilty in my relationship: the question is has ANYONE tried to make you feel guilty about being in a relationship.

• Yes my family is unsupportive of my girlfriend , they all think I pick up broken girls which is far from true. They once even denied taking her to the hospital after she had an serious injury where she wasn't allowed to drive and I didn't have a license then so we had to call an ambulance from out of town to help her. in the end i know its bc they never had meaningful relationships with anyone , why you might ask I don't know but they need some serious therpy.

• Yeah a few times. I've had people say that I shouldn't date a girl because "she looks 12" which is fucking stupid. Or because "she's too good for me so I shouldn't waste her time" etc. Fucking annoying

• No. I don't really understand how someone can feel bad about that. If someone in a relationship feels guilty for being in one, wouldn't that mean they're not 100% happy/sure about the relationship?

• Yes and no, the girl who was interested in me had only thought i was in a relationship, anyways she didn't forgive me for giving her that impression.

• I don't let girls guilt trip me cuz if I thought about every thing I mite have done wrong then I just drive myself crazy why worry about what you did learn from mistakes an move on

• No thankfully

• Never been in a relationship, so.. Nope!

• your fucking joking right?

• No, never had that happen

• oh yes 😢😱😨😰

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 15

• Hi @RJGraveyTrain, what a great question, and I hope anyone who has ever done this to people will realize how pointless and selfish doing this is, and how actually unattractive it makes them.

I've had three *former* friends do this to me - and looking back on it, they all had things in common such as having extremely miserable lives, no healthy relationships both in love and from family, and no concept of learning from their mistakes. They were also envious, and to make up for it - felt the need to cut me down when I found happiness because they had no idea how to make things better for themselves.

1. My best friend in college, a very overweight girl who was unhappily married, cheated on her husband to sabotage the marriage. She ran around for about ten years having nonsense one-night stands that she foolishly mistook for actual relationships. No man ever wanted to be with her - and didn't want to be in public. When I found love, she bashed my choices every single time, yet I was actually dating.

2. My (male) roommate had broken up with his girlfriend but was still secretly sleeping with her and leading her on. He stayed with me so he could have flings behind her back. As I dated, and eventually spent more time with one guy, he thought it would be cool to just sit and make fun of us and tease us. Meanwhile, no one was more whipped than him. He just felt there was no other way to take the attention away from himself than to cut others' down for being happy.

3. A friend from my teenage years - my longest standing friendship - could never find a guy, yet she excelled when it came to work and independent success (bought a home, etc.) - so she compensated that she needed no one in her life. I was not as successful in that regard, but I could find a man with no problem. Each time I met someone, without even meeting him, she'd criticize my choices. When I eventually met my husband and announced I was getting married she became very rude to me. We were in a long-distance friendship living in different countries, and she would snap at me and have a very curt tone after learning I was engaged. She hadn't even met my fiance yet she was already against him. The thing is, I knew she longed for a man (she admitted this) - but she kept putting up barriers to prevent herself from being hurt. Because she didn't know how to just grow up and allow herself to take the risks, she just became smart-mouthed with me about my decisions.

I ended my friendships with all three.

• Wow, those people sound horrible. Lol.

• I learned that length of time is no reason to carry on toxic friendships. If people gave you good reason to enjoy their company for maybe the first year, but after that it flops for ten more years, what's the point? It's no more useless than a bad relationship with a guy. I wrote a Take on it a couple of years ago.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a10006-breaking-up-with-friends

• I'll read it, thank you!

• I am happy for my friends when they are in a relationship with someone. I think the biggest problem is not being jealous its being neglected. when you aren't in a relationship and you and your friend are doing everything together and then you start dating someone and you don't intentionally neglect your friend but the balance changes as to who you spend time with.

• Just another ploy by
    cutting horses to peel out a calf
    to become available to them sexually (not for branding in this case)

• All the time, and that's exactly why those men are single.

• For not being in one. People find it odd because I was widowed so early in life and such a nice lady blah blah blah That'd I'd be alone.

• no, i dont tolerate guilt trips

• I've made a friend feel guilty about being in a relationship, only because her partner wasn't good for her. Sadly the reason being with him was because she desperately wanted to be loved, even though the partners love is an emotional abuse

• Nope. Forever alone.

• not really

• Because unfortunately nowadays feminist is associated with a potential fake rape / domestic violence report and most men don't want to deal with that. Thing is most people believe in equal rights for men, women and apache helicopters so feminists is being associated with women who invent issues that do not exist.

• yep! jealous friends who can't ever keep a guy.. lmao

• I don't think so.

• I have noticed guys do this to me but before.

• My parents did many years ago. Now they don't care obviously.

• haha no!😂 thats wrong