Do certain ethnicities smell unattractive to you?

I've seen some guys on here claim women of different ethnicities reject them because their ethnicity smells bad, so now I'm wondering if that's a legitimate concern for people or if they're making it up. Scent has been known to relate to attraction as it signifies good or poor health, immune system and genetic compatibility, and pheromones do all kinds of crazy things. A large portion of this may depend on typical foods and spices eaten by a specific culture and not have anything to do with ethnicity. I personally can't smell well, so ethnic scent isn't something I've noticed myself

This is not intended to be racist, start a race discussion, or pick on any race. I left the poll race-neutral so everyone can answer

• Yes, some ethnicities smell unattractive
    55%(31)65%(104)Vote70%(73)
  • No, all ethnicities smell attractive
    12%(7)11%(18)Vote11%(11)
  • I can't smell/results
    33%(18)24%(38)Vote19%(20)

Most Helpful Guy

• holy shit I thought this was just me

What Guys Said 28

• I never thought about ethnicity. I just thought anyone that doesn't take a shower once in awhile that they have poor hygiene.

Now I have heard from a person who married a woman in Thailand and moved there. That he can't sleep in her bed for 2 weeks until he sweats out the smell caused by his western diet,,.

• I thought it was mainly a hygiene issue as well, such as people who don't shower or use deodorant

Diet seems to be an issue a lot of people here mention

• Interesting. I've also heard that people who eat a lot of fruit tend to smell better as well

• and they taste better too :-)

• Indians and Arabs smell bad to me except for the Arabs who smell like walking perfume factories.
    Gypsies smell bad always but east Asians or other Whites don't have any particular smell that I have noticed.

Probably has to do with the amount of body hair, diet, hygiene practices and physiology as well as one's own accustomization to smell of familiar people.

• Some people can't stand the smell of curry. That shuts out nearly 20% of the dating pool right there.

There is biology and culture that contribute to the issue. If you are around heavy smells, your clothes and hair absorb it. And then, some people just don't take showers often enough.

• I like mild curry myself, but strong curry tends to be unpleasant. If people complain that others reject them for eating curry, maybe they should stop eating so much curry

I definitely agree that personal hygiene is a necessity in social interaction and not overwhelming the opposite sex with your BO is essential in attraction

• I have smelled a Caucasian that smelled like literally poop on a greyhound bus. Black dude smelled musty, don't have much contact with Asians, Indians.

Hispanics smell nice though. 😊

• Oh yeah big time

• Most definitely! And you hit the nail on the head. Its about their diet.

• I believe this smell issue is all pheromones and hormones interacting, nothing we can control. personally Indian people (not native American) and African people have an off putting scent. I don't know why, but they do.

• It had neighbors of Rapa Nui, and the truth is that they had a quite characteristic smell.

It's the sportiest people I've ever met. Maybe that influences.

• Yeah, because of their diet, though.

• well I don't think anyone smells bad because I'm a personal hygiene freak so I to me anyone with out deodorant / tasteful perfume smell bad

• Lol I don't know why my autocorrect decided to put an I right before the to

• I prefer deodorant and regular showering myself. (I'm allergic to perfume and cologne, so those are a big turnoff for me)

• tasteful perfume = those mild non French perfumes

• there are some colognes perfumes body washes shampoos and stuff that are mostly used by races they can cause different smells to be associated with that and it all depends on whether or not you you like that smell or not like I've most black people I've met in my life smell like cocoa butter and I hate the smell of cocoa butter but at the same time I've met some Asians that you specific shampoos that are from Asia and and they smell divine

• That makes sense. I generally have an aversion to artificial scents myself because I'm allergic to them

I wouldn't know what Asian shampoo smells like because I have curly hair. Cocoa butter is a smell I like in lotion if it's mild

• Yes some smell bad, not like old people but they smell bad in another way.

• Lol. Old people generally smell bad due to unsanitary and medical reasons, but I get you train of thought

• Its not bad like negative, the smell just smells bad in a way of a warning sign type of thing, you know when you smell fire? Its like that.

• i haven't noticed a difference

• It all lies in the genetic composition, people with similar Immune systems smell bad to us.

• Wow... it's the person, not the ethnic that makes them smell unattractive lol...

• That's generally what I've assumed myself since I can't smell well enough to tell. My ex was Slavic and he didn't smell bad to me. But I've had some guys complain on this site about women rejecting their ethnicity for the way they smell so I was wondering if that's a legitimate concern on their part

• Never heard of that one and I don't think it's real.

• How racist is that Q LOL!!! Since when has ethnic background mattered regarding smell? And where is the "ethnicity does not matter" option lol.

• You should actually read my post before commenting. Your attempt to troll is null and void here because I already provided those explanations and options

• IC option B can count as such.

• Yeah especially Asian people, ew

• How does one smell like a particular ethnicity?

• I can't smell, so I can't answer that. That's why I asked a question and made a poll. It does seem that the majority of people who can smell think different ethnicities have different smells and a large portion of that has to do with diet

• Probably Indian people from India

• White people smell fresh. I think its due to them only showering once a day or less.

• Bash the middle eastern people. Europeans smell to. The French people dont shower as well. *mic drop*

• yes. arabs usually smell like shit.

• πŸ–•πŸ½πŸ–•πŸ½πŸ–•πŸ½πŸ–•πŸ½is this an opportunity to hate on Indians! ❌❌❌❌

• Indian people usually smell bad

• Yeah. It's really hard to get the curry smell of Indians out of your clothes.
    If an Indian girl has been on me, it's impossible to hide it from the wife.

• Indians, chineese and Pakistanis. I've been told that white people smell disgusting by Asian people to do with the dairy products we eat.

What Girls Said 7

• There is one ethnicity that seems to be against the use of underarm deodorant. It is always this same ethnicity that reeks of body odor. Not to say that everyone of this ethnicity reeks of BO but everyone who reeks in the store so that you can't even stay in the same isle with them, is if the same ethnicity

• Haha. Deodorant is necessary for social interaction. It's so cheap that I don't understand why some people don't wear it. Personal hygiene is necessary no matter what race or ethnicity you come from

• Yeah some people smell to me, but I think it's their diet and hygiene practices. Usually the people who smell bad, look like they smell bad, just saying.
    Remember the girl that said Ivanka Trump looks like she smells like Vanilla?, I bet she smells like rose water and springtime too haha

• Lol I bet she does look like she smells like rosewater and vanilla. I have noticed the few times someone's smell is strong enough to completely turn me off is all homeless people, so yeah they look like they smell bad

• It's depends more on the individual, not their race.

• no not really.

• it's an individual thing... but mostly black people smell. i actually haven't gone around sniffing. so i'm not sure. I think most Indian guys I've met smell good...

• Indian guys smell like curry/perv/creep to me

• I'm not a racist at all I'm simply adding to your post... black people smell to white people

• I get where you're coming from. I live in a heavily black area, so I've heard the same thing from other white people before

• @azzntittiz

That's really interesting and I appreciate the input from both races on this one. If ethnic scent was a biological issue, it would make sense that both races smell each other as unattractive

Lol that's kind of weird a guy smelled you on a date. Good hygiene is definitely a bonus when it comes to attraction and you wouldn't believe how many guys I've heard claim it isn't a big deal when they only shower once a week (spoiler alert: they're all single)

• I bet if they get a stinky girlfriend they won't want to have sex or cuddle. I think smelly people are lazy, they obviously don't care about themselves and others.
      But yes that guy was weird, he could have just hugged me to get a whiff, not sniff me like Scooby doo.