Why is it a bad idea to date when you're not really over your ex?

1011

Most Helpful Guy

• It's bad cause your still carrying love for your ex
    and until your love for him completely leaves you
    won't be able to love another guy. Same thing happened
    to me with my first ex girlfriend until i completely got
    over her no other girl made me happy and all i did was cry
    so there wasn't much i could do this was something i had
    to work on and finally i got over her when we both ended
    up at court together and that sure woke me up so now
    i know be careful who you get in a relationship with.

What Guys Said 10

• Because you are not emotionally available to new partners and you are merely using them. Do you think they would date you if you were honest and told them, "I'm still getting over my break up and I just need someone else to entertain me and distract me. I;m not sure if I want to go back to him and the idea of having sex with you is COMPLETELY off the table."

• It's not a bad idea as long as you took time to mourn.
    You could potentially not be over your ex for years. Being single without seeing other people for years isn't good for you, because you're not "there yet". There is a line. Like you should go on a date with a guy, when you broke up with your boyfriend the night before. Because it's too raw and you haven't taken anytime at all to even process it. But after a certain period of time it can be good to get out there again for a multitude of reasons. Mostly to do with getting yourself right again.

• Because you might want to turn back and go to your ex if dating someone doesn't help you to get over him. In effect, you wasted your date's time and possibly made them fall for you.

• Because you will try to fulfill your basic emotional needs without considering the real attachment. It will be bad for both party.

• Because it's just not fair on the person you're dating

• Mostly it just isn't fair to the person you date.

• Your mind still thinks about them

• yeah and sometimes it might get too long...

• That guy looks great. Why would you leave him?

• I have one ex that I don't think I will ever be completely over (even though it's been 3 years now). If I ever see any of the others it would be too soon.

That has not stopped me from dating. I got in a 9 month friends with benefits with somebody else. It helped with the healing process.

It comes down to if you can MANAGE the hurt feeling or not. Are you sad or really depressed? The sadness is normal. Paralyzingly depression isn't.

What Girls Said 10

• because you are only going to drag some innocent person to your drama to get over someone you not over yet. unnecessary hurt to that poor person. if someone does want to date you, be honest with them right away.

• Because you are most likely rebounding and sometimes you rebound on someone who is looking for something serious and you're not emotionally ready for something like that yet so you're just stringing them along and they don't even know it. It's not fair to that person. Also, after a break-up sometimes people do some pretty irrational stuff (I would know) and it's not fun or good to be reckless. You need time to process your emotions after a break-up and jumping into bed with some rando could just mess that up.

• It's not fair to the new person you're dating, because they'll always be compared to an idealized version of your ex.

• Because it'll make you feel worse about yourself and you're potentially hurting someone else if they're really into you, yet you're still into your ex. Trust me, bad idea.

• because it's not fair to the other party and because you tend to compare everything the other party does and says with what ur ex did and said.

• Because it's not fair to the guy you're dating.

• Because you are more prone to emotional affairs, and it is not fair for someone else to have to deal with that.

• Because you could be in a relationship with someone else and still talk to your ex and then you will be confused

• Because there's no use in being in a relationship you don't want

• Very bad don't get yourself in the mess my best friend is in... please