Dating: What do you do when you hate their name?

You meet someone by chance, and they are absolutely beautiful. Preference-wise you found much of what you're looking for. When you're introduced, they tell you their name...

What if it's the same name of your sister/brother?
What if it sounds completely dorky?
What if it's your ex's name?
If you're a single parent, what if it's the same as your child's name?

If the name instills some feeling of unease or you just don't like the sound of it, what would you do? Would you do anything at all?

• I simply can't be with someone if I hate their name.
    3%(2)5%(7)Vote7%(5)
  • If I like them but not their name, I'll give them a nickname.
    53%(39)46%(69)Vote39%(30)
  • I accept any name - no restrictions.
    40%(29)42%(63)Vote45%(34)
  • Other
    4%(3)7%(10)Vote9%(7)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't care what a girl wants to call herself. I dated a Latin sex goddess who was named Martha. Yes, Martha. I had an friends with benefits named Prissy. Not even kidding. I never cared. Still got my dick wet and enjoyed our time together.

Most Helpful Girl

• My biggest crush has a name I traditionally have disliked. Now of course I think it's the cutest name a man can have. If you like the person, the name should become irrelevant.

What Guys Said 40

• I am the only sibling so that wouldn't work. So what if she has the same name as my mom? It would be a little awkward but i could learn to look past it.
    Same name as my ex? Then she would have an absolutely beautiful name since i still find her name amazing, i'd like to name my daughter that if it wasn't for that. In the beginning it will surely keep reminding me of my ex, but that association will sooner or later be replaced with her.

So what if its a name i absolutely despise? There is only one option, ill have to accept or learn to love it. I refuse to let my love be restricted because of something silly like a name, if she is the one i don't care what her name is.

• WTF is wrong with you?
    Sorry, but why does it matter if their name is your brothers? or an ex? That person isn't either, that is all that matters.
    Those has to be the most shallow, down right idiotic reasons to ever not date someone.
    Dating is hard enough without making up stupid shit.

• Nothing is fucking wrong with me. It's a general question posed to the GaG community.

• i'll accept them regardless of their name. perhaps i'll give them a nickname or just call them by their given name if they prefer it. i wouldn't let a name stop me from being with someone who was a good match

• For me B or C. Soon when you really like them their name grows on you real fast.

• I dont know but probably a nickname. I tend to give people them. But I had a friend talking to me awhile ago and she told me this guy's name that she's seeing was "Kurt" and I laughed so hard because I know a Kurt and he's dorky as all hell 😂 I felt bad but she understood after I explained.

• Accept it. Trust me it will grow on you. Grandparents have to deal with this all the time when their children name their kids some name they can't at first relate to.

• Never had this happen to me (although in theory it could, lol), but I always give girlfriends nicknames anyway.

• For me it depends on the name. I only have a brother so I'm good on that aspect. If her name is the same as one of my brother's wife's sister's, then it might be confusing / awkward. I'd have to go on a case by case basis.

Also, if her name could be applied to either male or female (e. g. Taylor Swift vs. Taylor Lauter), then I might have a reservation.

PS. I have a thing for gal's names either beginning or ending in an "a" (or "a" sound... e. g. "Hannah").

• It's just a name. Once your brain associates the name to the new person the old connection will cease to be relevant.

• I don’t really care about her name. I don’t like mine, but she is different person, even if her name is the same like my first ex. She has pretty common name, so…yeah, I might mention that she has the same name and then make “joke” that I hope she will not be like her, but that’s pretty much it.

• I think I voted wrong I don't know if I can date a girl that had my daughter's name but if I did I'll give em a nick name fuck the world what name isn't common these days especially when mother's name their kids Scientology or Gaylord the list goes on.

• We tend to give each other pet names anyhow so it'd never matter.

• en.wikipedia.org/.../A_rose_by_any_other_name_would_smell_as_sweet

My liking of them would have to be fairly minimal if a name was an issue - which would tell me that I really don't want to be there.

• This is why I love nicknames 😎

I was given once the pet name PONY 😍

(Real) Names are lame. Nicknames are the stuff, that should be!

• I would be a little disappointed if it were an ex's name no lie. But I'd get over it.

• I don't think I could do it. I've come across girls on tinder who are cute but have the same name as my mom, whose name is uncommon, and I would intentionally swipe left lol.

• Nickname

• Couldn't handle it to be honest.

• I think you don't always tell someone with his/ her name if you are together..

Like hey honey.. ohh you are so sweet baby... ohh sweet heart.. my love... my rose..

so if I don't like it I wouldn't use it more often

• It's not an excuse to leave someone just because u don't like his name! This doesn't make any sense, all names are beautiful!

• It's just a name

• nickname i guess though it would feel strange.

• I would just give them a nickname or something or would just call her Bob if I really hate it

• I think it doesn't bother most people if the name is common enough like John or Sarah.

• I remember I tried to talk to be girl with my name and it was awkward. glad that she was all looks and no personality cuz that would've sucked 😂

• I accept any name they have it doesn't matter to me.

• How many people actually call their SO by name?

• I think it's less of giving a nickname to replace it but instead changing the memory of thing you associate the name with.

• I love my girlfriends name! Just saying it turns me on ☺️😅

• If you can not stand someone's name then the problem is with you

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 23

• I get over it, I'll likely be calling them babe or some pet name most often anyway.

• I'm sure I could get used to it if it was a name I didn't like.

Brothers or exes names never bothered me. Considering 2 of my brothers have extremely common names and my first serious ex also does it would be hard for me to avoid dating anyone with those names haha

In fact, my current boyfriend has the same name as my first ex. Doesn't bother me at all.

• Tbh tho there are a couple of names that I just hate for whatever silly reasons that I'm not sure I could get past... Kevin, Dwayne, Conrad... lol I don't really know why... they just are such dumb names. Also every Kevin I have ever met is gross and skeevy.

• I usually end giving everyone nicknames anyways, it's kinda my thing. But I don't really care about their name, it's just a word.

• I would go err at first but get used to it. It happened with my little brother. My dad decided to name him something I didn't like because an old classmate had the same name; and for some reason I never liked him when I was younger. Anyway, so I really had problem with that name in the beginning but once his teachers and doctor etc started using it more and more, I started to like it.

• I might dislike it at first but if they are your person and that is the only thing holding you back, I would just ignore it

• I will not date someone with the same name as a sibling, parent, or a relative that I am very close with... for example my uncle haha it is just too weird! also i couldn't imagine bringing them home i guess. if they had just a dorky name that wasn't very common but overall i liked them it wouldn't be a big deal because i'd give them a nickname or something

• Don't know to many people who go by the name Ahmad or shad, that's my brother's name it's not used often were I live. Not many people have my boyfriend or ex's name.

• I don't have very many names that are tainted by people (though there are a few) and bad experiences, but there are names that I just hate in general. For the latter, so far I've been able to learn to like the name because I love the person.

• Just keep dating them until something else horrid comes up. I've been with people whose last names I'd never take on. Just be happy you don't have those names. But first names have less weight to them. Many fathers name their sons after themselves anyway. Whoever you end up with, that person has to fit like a glove. I'm positive you'll get there.

• Nicknames exist!

• Nickname works if it were my brother or dad's name.

• I was talking to this guy who's name was Chekina everyone laughed whenever i had to say his name lol but i just called him chey😂😂

• I use my brothers nickname more than his actual name so it wouldn't bother me if they had the same given name.

• Names don't bother me.

• I hate my husband's name but I just get over it. It's Korean and hard to say (pronounced so ungh sheek) but that's a stupid thing to end a relationship over. I just call him honey a lot lol

• I don't think a name should stop you from dating someone you really like. If his/her name really bothers you, just give him/her a cute nickname.

• i struggle with this as i've always had a penchant for certain names, certain sounds. i have also formed negative association with certain names. i really dislike any name that starts or ends with hiro.

• Wth - It's just a name. There's bilions of people on this planet, people can't expect everyone to have different names so it's completely fine with me.

• I mean if I honestly think it's just so bad, I'd give them a nickname but still call them by their own name at times. I don't know, to me it's only a name, nothing more.

• I think you should be respectful and polite about it if you don't like the name. Maybe that's why a lot of guys give me nicknames :O

• I'd give them a nickname

• I would give them a Nick name or I would call them by their middle name if they would be willing to do so.