Could you date someone if you weren't attracted to them?

There's a guy interested in me but I don't feel attracted to him. He's a good guy though and he's nice to talk to. Should I give it a shot or not? We're in the same friend group, so I don't want it to be awkward either.

827

What Guys Said 27

• It's one thing to go ON a date with a friend and discover each other through a regular day together.

However it's another to accept someone's feeling just for the sake of trying a relationship.
    In this situation "Dating".

You don't enter a relationship with someone you don't like just to see if things change, that's just selfish.

At least that's how I read this.

• Attraction can grow over time. More so with women compared to men as we are the more visual gender. But I wouldn't get into a relationship with him yet but see if that attraction can grow. I know it's very hard to describe and probably try to not force it or risk it. But go slow and see what happens for awhile. Whats the harm?

• I've always believed that the phrase "love at first sight" is total b. s. it should be "lust at first sight" because looks are what initially attracts is to someone and keeps us sexually active long enough to build a family. personality is a big factor though. by knowing someone's personality in depth you can begin to see them as more attractive than you previously saw them because when you see or think about their wonderful personality your brain creates dopamine which makes you happy and attracted to them.

• I've experienced mutual love at first sight.

• doubtful, love isn't one single feeling. it's lust, trust, care, and a whole bunch of emotions and actions that build over time until you can't imagine your life without that person.

• Yeah, why don't you give it a try. What's the worst that could happen? Humans are interesting creatures. Meaning, you could be 0% attracted to someone, but sooner or later be much more attracted to them. Try it out

• I'm afraid of giving it a shot, deciding it's not gonna work, and then making our friend group awkward.

• You could really like this man.

• Why not? Go for it, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Also if it's awkward then both of you aren't mature enough for that kind of relationship. You are both adults, not children.

• Not really, attraction is a precursor to dating for most. But I guess maybe I would develop the attraction if the situation arose where we start dating without the attraction, but I dont think that would happen

• As a friend

• Don't waste his time omg. Just make some excuse about why u can't date him like other women do when they don't find a guy attractive

• No nor would I choose to.

• Why are you even asking this question? You shouldn't go out with him because it wouldn't be fair for him. He needs a girl who is physically attracted to him. Move on.

• Nope xx

• I'd have to be emotionally attached.

• just give him a try. its not selfish to give it a try. going on a date can be the exact thing you need to like him. there's much more then wanting to have sex in a relationship

• It's not just sex though. I don't even particularly like him touching me :/ I don't think we'd get very far if that doesn't change.

• Exactly

• im just saying if you try it you might get that spark. if not then tell him its not meant to be

• Not really

• would you eat something you don't like?
    the same goes for dating

• If you want the boyfriend experience, sure. Don't expect too much though.

• Yes I would give it a try

• no defo no

• nopp

• Nope

• I can't fuck a personality

• no. I would not do it.

• I've boned many a bitch that I couldn't stand to look at. But "date?" No, I don't think I could.

• Absolutely not. Would you like a guy to give you a shot if he didn't find you attractive?

• I mostly dated girls I was un-attracted to. Those were just the cards I was dealt early in life and I had to take what I could get. None of them really worked out. But neither did the girls I was attracted to. I think in the end it made no difference. I lived and learned and that's that I guess.

• I've run into girls like this , they seemed to find me interesting but weren't necessary interested in having sex with me and I wondered if attraction was lacking

• Honestly no. I need both

What Girls Said 8

• I've had an experience where I wasn't attracted to a guy initially but he was trying to pursue me so i was talking to him. I fell in love with his personality and so his looks followed. I eventually became attracted to him, but i didn't get into a relationship until I found myself physically attracted to him. With this being said, this has only happened to me once. I think it is safer just to stick with people you are attracted to. If he is your friend, its likely that if you aren't already attracted to him, you won't be.

• no, I don't even know why you would do this.

• No, date someone your equally attracted to physically and mentally. It's pointless to date someone you're not really into, I would be really sad if my boyfriend was with just cause and didn't find me attractive.

• Nah. No way.

• I couldn't, I need both physical and mental attraction but you could give him a second chance, why not? And if it still doesn't spark anything then just tell him you're not interested and move on.

• Nope.

• this is 100% true

• Same story with me. When my ex had asked me, I wasn't interested in him sexually... I didn't get attracted. But he was nice and in friend group. He was average. So I gave it a shot, it was a struggle because he felt inferior to me because of my looks, he always felt insecure. He thought I'd go with another better looking guy. But at the end, he really cared for me and I ended up loving him...