If your partner's parents don't like you, does that effect the relationship?

1323

Most Helpful Guy

• It all depends on how strong of a person you and your partner are.
    I met my ex wife Jan 10, 1989. I saw her every single day until I went into the military on Feb 14, 1989. I came home May 27, 1989 and proposed. Needless to say, her family wasn't crazy about me. She was a senior in high school.
    But I never ever let my family dictate who I dated, ever.
    luckily, she didn't either.
    eventually they came to see what an amazing man I am, because, come on, who are we kidding ;)
    But it took time to show them that I was a gentleman and I loved their daughter more then anything on earth. I still do.
    we were together 25 years and have 3 amazing sons.
    If you want something bad enough you have to fight for it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it does, especially if I wanted to marry that person. I don't want to get married to a person with a toxic family or somebody who doesn't want to give me a chance to be suitable for their son. I grew up living in an environment with the family and or parents not liking my mom. It's hell. I don't recommend it, especially when that person is so close to their family. Love is not worth it for that reason. Love from afar is better than being selfish to stay underneath a person just because you want to.

What Guys Said 22

• In my experience, it really does affect your chances of maintaining a successful relationship. But there is hope: you can prove to them that you are a great woman and someone they can proudly call their own, despite your differences. The main steps would be: Be respectful, be loyal, and be yourself. Express yourself. No motherfucker on this earth respects a fake, and it's fairly easy to spot one given some time. Be genuine and respectful. If that doesn't help then fuck them, changing yourself for the sake of pleasing others is NOT WORTH IT.

• I think that parents dont have to like their child's significant other as long as that person's intentions are good, not evil, because people have different personalities and it is normal to dislike someone based on their personality so they really dont have to like them. It is their child who is in the relationship because he likes it. Not them.

• I don't know every gal I've been with their parents liked me, the ones who knew I was with em anyway.

• I'm with my partner, not her parents. It's her choice after all.

• it depends on the partner. if she listens to whatever her parents say then yeah but if she has a mind of her own and chooses to use it then what her parents say isn't gonna matter much.

• in our country it definitely effect because most of our marriages here are family based ( means arranged marriage) I dont where do you and what culture you are adopting

• Yea it does

• yes-for your/husband/wife. people will need to be cut out until they are willing to change their views-otherwise, it'll just cause a bing strain on things.

• Yes it does

• It won't affect the relationship if the girl can handle it because I know I can. I've yet to meet a girls parents who didn't like me.

• yes it does big time because if they say something bad about you and she or he doesn't defend you then it makes the problem in the relationship which can create big problems

• Yes, it matters.

• depends how much they don't like me

• nah idc

• In many cases yes! and some cases they just want their child to be happy and if they are like that no not at all you won't suffer

• It's a definite deal breaker!

• obvius not... if u both have true love... no matter anyone likes u or not... most important is u both must be happy with each other

• depends on how much he values his parents

• no I don't think so

• You will still be here after they have gone. The future is your future, the had thier shot.

• It has 70-90% of chance

• not at all

What Girls Said 12

• If your boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't defend you and sides with his or her mom each and every single time, then no it won't work. I was in a situation where his mom didn't want to see him move on so she would create lies about me and he would believe her. Not even his biological mom either.

• It would for me. My parents hate my partner which doesn't really affect how I see my relationship but for some reason I think that if his mother didn't like me, I'd be really upset about that.

• Generally speaking I'd like to have a good connection/bond with his parents, but I can't force things to happen. So I would go out of my way to have a good relationship with them. Otherwise it's not a deal breaker

• Of course it does, and it'll test you two for sure

• Yessss it does hell yesss... it was the other way around for me his mom didn't like my mom so it caused problems

• Yes it does

• Well, it does. You by yourself won't feel comfortable around her, because you'll know that she doesn't like you.

• Nope

• If it's a serious relationship, certainly will, yes. It can make your life hell.

• my parents like him as a person but not as someone for me to be with, not sure if it will effect it

• Good luck

• It might, if your significant other cares about their parents opinion. I advise you to talk to your partner about it.

• yes it does

• it does. because your partner will care. even if they say they'll stand up to them for you, it won't last long. so i would just end it, instead of continuing it further and getting more hurt in the future. I'm speaking from experience after 2 years of relationship.