What is the right/acceptable age to start dating?

My parents always told me no dating through school. I got my first boyfriend at 18, in uni.

You hear about kids that are like 11, 12, with "boyfriends and girlfriends". Personally I think that's too young. I think they should be at least 16-17, hormones need to have settled and they be mature enough to handle it.

• <12
    2%(1)4%(4)Vote5%(3)
  • 13-15
    18%(9)18%(19)Vote18%(10)
  • 16-17
    47%(23)50%(53)Vote53%(30)
  • 18-20
    20%(10)20%(21)Vote19%(11)
  • 21+
    13%(6)8%(9)Vote5%(3)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Guy

• It all depends on what you mean by dating. If you mean being taken to the movies and out to eat by parents, etc., then I'm fine with around 12 or whenever they express an interest. My daughter started dating at age 12. If you mean more, that's an entirely different discussion.

Most Helpful Girl

• 17-18 in my humble opinion.

What Guys Said 22

• 16-17 at earliest, and that's if both parties are fairly mature. Admittedly there are some twenty-something year olds who don't seem mature enough to date so it's largely something that should be judged on a case by case basis. But yeah, if you don't have any self control and aren't able to keep your hormones in check, you have no business looking to get a boyfriend/girlfriend.

• People are worried their kids will make mistakes... kids DO make mistakes... and so do adults... you never stop making them...

if you worry too much and don't let things happen naturally you could end up with shy kids or kids with issues, you have to pay attention to their mental needs, and make the judgement call specific to each one...

• Start dating and start having sex are naturally two very different things. I think is very normal that kids start kinda dating at their early teens. At least getting closer to the opposite sex.

• My first was when I was about 15 I think, but it's kinda different around here, from country to country. You'll get mocked a lot if you are not dressed in expensive, branded clothes, etc.. At least it's better nowadays anyway.
    However it all depends on a guy. I was always that kinda classical nerdy guy who transfered into metalhead in first year of high school. So it was the best time of my life when I got my first girlfriend, not exaggerating whatsoever. :D

• It really depends. Some people mature faster and can handle it at an earlier age.

• it's also the difference of the where you from here is where I am from you start dating from 16-17 but some are like 18-20, it's also as you believe in the Islam or you are Christian, because in India your parents decided with who you marry...

• i got my first girlfriend at the age of 14, but when i think about it. i think i was to young.

• When the kid moves out, lol. I was designated driver for my kid @ 15 and good grades.

• When you're old enough to get your first boner.

• I'd say 16 at the absolute earliest but after high school would be more logical.

• No dating until your marriedšŸ¤£...15 and up, just be mentally mature and strong minded. Don't be fooled by puppy love at a young age

• I would say age 16 is the best age to start dating.

• I had a girlfriend at 11, but it was competely innocent and lasted only a few weeks.

• I didn't start dating until I was 24

• Honestly there's no point until you are 18. U can't make anything of it anyway until then.

• Depends

• i falled in love at 9-10 :(

• when you can drive you and your date to go on a date.

• 16 for girls and 20 for guys to start dating. Even then you shouldn't expect very good results most of the time.

• I think it depends. if a 13-15 year-old kid doesn t fall in love at this age it isn t a wrong.

• i think when u started at 18 is optimum.. even 16-17 just seems abit more like an immature thing.. can't imagine them being loyal

• 16-17

What Girls Said 9

• Maybe from 16-17. Of course this will probably never be the case because of all the hormone and testosterone filled teens, but hey what're you gonna do right?

I think the main reason I chose this age is because of maturity levels, and 16 is the age you can legally give sexual consent.

16 is also one of the main ages before adulthood (18) ... and it seems reasonable to be able to start experiencing the dating world.

Better to learn what you want in a relationship earlier in life.

• When they are ready for marriage and make rational and legal decisions. For young marriage 16-17, but keep it PG. People are dating far too young and don't know what they are doing.

• I think 16 is a good age to start dating. Any younger really and I just think it's silly. What's the point of dating someone who is most likely just someone you're going to see at school and not even actually go on a date with and you'll most likely break up in less than a month? It's just pointless. Of course... I did start dating back in the 7 grade after just turning 13, but I didn't have my first actual boyfriend until I was 15. However, I feel like 16 is still a better age to start dating.

• 13-15 depending on the kid. It's dating, not sex so maturity isn't exactly needed. Growing with close interpersonal relationships with both genders is educational and teaches people far more resilience when it comes to serious older relationships

• I voted 16-17 but I know parents with younger teens who date. It's much more supervised, and they can't drive a car yet in most places, so they'll get dropped off at the movies and picked up after. Clearly I'm in the suburbs where you can't walk everywhere, so it would be different in a city.

I think kids mature at different times and explore new kind of relationships as they grow. Some kids have "boyfriends" and "girlfriends" in elementary school. Actual "going out alone for the evening together" dating is for 17 and up IMHO.

• I'd say around my age and older

• Well, I think the ideal age is 15/16 years old but, unfortunately, in reality the age is much younger

• Around 15 - 16. Here it would be during tje summer after O'level exams.

• I'd say 13