What is the right/acceptable age to start dating?

My parents always told me no dating through school. I got my first boyfriend at 18, in uni.

You hear about kids that are like 11, 12, with "boyfriends and girlfriends". Personally I think that's too young. I think they should be at least 16-17, hormones need to have settled and they be mature enough to handle it.

• <12
  • 13-15
  • 16-17
    Vote C
  • 18-20
    Vote D
  • 21+
    Vote E

1023

Most Helpful Guy

• People are worried their kids will make mistakes... kids DO make mistakes... and so do adults... you never stop making them...

if you worry too much and don't let things happen naturally you could end up with shy kids or kids with issues, you have to pay attention to their mental needs, and make the judgement call specific to each one...

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I voted 16-17 but I know parents with younger teens who date. It's much more supervised, and they can't drive a car yet in most places, so they'll get dropped off at the movies and picked up after. Clearly I'm in the suburbs where you can't walk everywhere, so it would be different in a city.

I think kids mature at different times and explore new kind of relationships as they grow. Some kids have "boyfriends" and "girlfriends" in elementary school. Actual "going out alone for the evening together" dating is for 17 and up IMHO.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE