Should people in a committed relationship share their personal passwords with each other?

Aka passwords such as instagram or other social media devices, to allow the other person to feel comfortable and safe within the relationship

Most Helpful Guy

• in my opinion is not necessary, but if you have nothing to hide... there is not problem about sharing passwords, there is no reason to be sacared if you didn't do anything wrong

• Do you think someone saying "i like my privacy, I Dont you in my phone " would mean they're hiding something?

• Yes, i guess... But it's only a supposition

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, if you guys feel comfortable enough to do that.. yes there should be nothing to hide it

What Guys Said 28

• I believe not because commited to the word of love. If its truly meant for the one then there should still be personal boundaries to respect one another.

• they shouldn't hide them suspiciously or intentionally, but asking a partner to share them without valid purpose shows insecurity and lack of trust.

• Unless married, I would say no.

• What if it was a long term relationship where you guys acted as if you were already married?

• That's an opinion, just like mine. I gave you my opinion.

• Yeah ik, different opinions

• I would have criteria in this by saying both wish to share their passwords, I have seen situations where jealous partners have demanded to check another person's accounts that is not on. Like for me, I would say I am the most boring person in the world, knock yourself out on my accounts.

• Not really. We all have things we want to keep private, and it's not because of any wrongdoing. People like to have some form of privacy, some way in which they can be completely alone, with no one looking over their shoulder, even if the person watching is the one person they live the most. People need some space to themselves

• Well let's say the significant other cheated and Now their partner requests their social information. Would you say its okay then?

• Completely agree man,,

• Eventually though, granted the relationship becomes stable and trusting again, you're eventually going to have to let up a bit. It would be a reciprocal sign of good will on your part, and the final step in finally binding up that old wound for good

• Commited means sharing everything.. yes.. there must be some private space but if the couple understands each other to the core then yes.. the answer is yes..

• Only to any of my social sites that doesn't have my hidden stash of hentai

• Any relationship could go south for any reason, and if your partner is spiteful this could lead to problems in the future.

• Of course.

• Wow that's a good question and to be honest hard to answer. I can see so the perspective but the one I think is the best is that it doesn't matter if your partner is comfortable it should be weather you are. If they love you they can deal with that as these are things that have impacted your life before you were together and may impact after too if anything happens. I think it's okay to ask but If they so no or they aren't ready you need to give them some room.

• This is interesting because people in a committed relationship shouldn't have a need to keep anything private nor have a fear of their partner cheating. Otherwise that wouldn't really be a healthy relationship. But at the same time it still feels like a violation of privacy to give your passwords over like that, even if you have nothing to hide.

• I have a huge issue with this. If you don't/can't trust your SO to be faithful, you shouldn't be with them.

• No, everyone need their privacy.

• No. There have to be some kind of boundaries and privacy standards

• Absolutely not

• Don't like it and don't want to.

• I have nothing to hide and I'll never cheat. You want my passwords? Gtfo

• I personally won't because that's a sign of distrust and insecurity.

• No never not even if you have been together for 10 years or more

• No. Privacy is important. I would say some not all

• What about your "private garden"? (That's a French idiom)

• No, trust is important with their privacy.

• To each their own, but personally I feel that if you have nothing to hide or be ashamed of there shouldn't be a reason not to share whichever passwords, if prompted. Of course there are exceptions, such as email, which can contain banking data, personal conversations, or work related messages that would be best to keep a minimal amount of traffic to, in case of a theft or breach in your own security. Realistically, if you're requesting the passwords for whichever app, but he suddenly gets quiet, nervous, etc, then he's probably hiding something. If he's willing to show you whatever he has going on in whichever app/account, but doesn't want the password out there, then that's fair too, as many people use the same password for many different accounts of their own, and don't want anything being spread around. Just don't be too pushy about anything and I'm sure you'll get the results you're aiming for.

• I don't need to have something to hide to not want someone rooting through my messages. There will always be things that are nobody else's business, and I often have very personal messages that are confidential in nature.

• Absolutely not, this is a sign of insecurity. When a person feels this way, they can easily manifest there feelings into perceiving innocent content in a negative connotation. This, in turn, furthers the issue of distrust

• NOPE!

Anyone who demands or expects that is controlling and abusive.

• They can, but they shouldn't need to have each other's passwords to feel safe in the relationship. If one partner is having doubts, the issue is with that person and not the fact that they use social media, they should reach out to that person and not risk pushing them away by invading their privacy.

What Girls Said 6

• If you are not comfortable with then DON'T. If they insist then they proceed at thief own risks.

As for me, I really care. He will probably suffer being horny most days anyways. There should be boundaries even with personal things. It's like sitting with them while they are taking a shit, so if you can still/or not. It's definitely at your own risk.

You shouldn't feel obligated to do things you're not comfortable with. I'm sure he wouldn't love you less.

I'd say be careful with your personal details though, in case he turns out to be a criminal.

• Nope. A password is personal. Only the owner of the account should have the password. It's just a matter of mutual trust

• I would be more than willing but honestly I'd lose respect for him if he felt like he needed to check up on me.

• People nowadays let other people touch their private parts but can't touch their phone caise it's 'private' ... tbh i wouldn't mind... just my opinion

• I dont know how is it for everybody but personally for me when you have to go through your partners phone it contains trust issue and I definitely not in need access passwords for that.. if I feel I can't trust this person, I'm out

• If they have nothing to hide, I don't see why not.