Can you date someone who speaks a different language?

Consider that each of you can speak a little of the others language but not fluent

• Yes. We can just teach each other
  • No. Communication is key

1222

Most Helpful Girl

• You can speak different languages, but you need to have at least one language in common. Communication is incredibly important in getting to know someone, building trust, and sharing a life with them. I don't think I could even fall fully in love with someone without being able to speak with him.

Most Helpful Guy

• It would be difficult because of the language barrier, but if you really love or have a connection with the man or woman, it shouldn’t be hard to find a way to interact seamlessly together on a day to day basis. A lot of people deal with language barriers all the time. It’s ultimately about the personalities, values, and beliefs of the individuals that will determine how easy or well they get along, language shouldn’t be an issue if every other aspect is similar.

What Girls Said 11

• Yes, For sure.
    I had Married a Muslim out in Egypt, And with us being Online many a Time, I taught him well, He also in Turn.
    I am wondering Sometimes, If he still Speaks my own Language, From time to time, Or even Recalls and All... xx

• I honestly don't see how that'll work... if I don't speak their language and they don't speak mine.
    I see it's a trend in Korea for Koreans to find girlfriends or boyfriends who are English native speakers just to learn English from them without paying and then dump them when they've learned what they needed... so i'd be careful of that...

• I put down yes because I initially thought you meant bilingual. But yeah, I could date someone who spoke a foreign language when we first met, but I'd only agree to a relationship once we'd both learned enough to properly communicate with each other. Communication is way too important.

• No. It's hard enough communicating clearly with someone who speaks the same language as you, I'm not adding the complication of barely being able to understand their mother-tongue and them mine. I wouldn't say no however if they were fluent in my language or I was fluent in theirs but our mother-tongues were different - that's different.

• We have to have at least one common language

• it is great. I would.

• I already have and we just spoke English?

• Would work. But we have to be in the same culture at least or it'll be hard.

• Well yes so many celebrities do it.

• Yeah.

• No i'd rather they spoke fluent English communication is important to me.

What Guys Said 21

• Definitely, I don't understand why you couldn't. I think the notion of not being able to because 'communication' is important seems odd. Because I think it's fair to say 'talking' in a relationship is not the same as 'communicating'. You can speak the same language, share a lot of words, but never truly communicate. Communication involves sharing intimate details, experiences, secrets, etc... None of that is inhibited by a minor language barrier. If it's important any human can find a way to communicate to another.

• My girlfriend has a different native language to mine, but she also speaks English fluently (her post graduate qualifications are from an English-speaking institution).

You need to have one language between you that you are BOTH fluent in, for it to work, in my opinion (having been in a number of other relationships where the lady's first language was other than English - I have a thing for Eurotrash, lol).

Otherwise the inevitable strains that every relationship faces, are magnified, and made difficult.

• I technically did, I moved to America and hardly spoke a lick of English, and my wife was the first person I met, she helped me a bit. But we weren't dating until 8 years later.

• I think we need to have at least one common language. My mother tongue is not English and in the past, there was some misinterpretation of what I said vs what she understood. It was funny, though.

• I have had sex with women that we couldn't speak more than a few words of each others' language. A dictionary helped. We both had a great time.

• Normally no but if they were observant and communicated a lot with body language then it could work out.

• Well if I find someone who can speak Spanish than it won't be a problem. I understand it perfectly I just can't speak Spanish for some odd reason.

• Of course

• google translate is a thing, so we can make it work.

• Yes i would date a girl who didn't speak English that good.

• Depends what language. If it was Spanish or Ukrainian than yes, because I could get by. If it was a different one than no.

• Yup. Communication is important but there's more than one way to communicate. Speaking isn't the only way.

• I even think it can be used to your advantage. It's cute if you teach eachother. It's a great hobby you can both share and it brings you closer. Communication is important, but doesn't learning together make you communicate more?

• Relationships are hard enough between people speaking the same language. How's that going to work when you can't effectively communicate complex ideas? That doesn't even include the cultural differences that will have to be worked out.

• Yes. We can just teach each other

• If she speaks English I will date her. Otherwise I won't understand anything.

• J'pense pas non.

• If we were both fluent but still needed a decent amount of practice.

• I like it

• Ching chong to you too furry

• The title question seems to imply no common language so I voted no.
    Reading the description, there is limited understanding of each others language: personally I still vote no but others will be OK with it.

Personally I must have good communication. I live in a non-English country so nearly all the women I meet have various levels of English. Some good enough to connect, some not so much.
    For example, I started helping a friend with her English a year ago. At the time I was attracted to her but with the communication issues I wasn't going to try for anything more. Now her English is much better and we connect really well. I would go out with her now as we can have deeper/ more complex conversations.
    But thats me. For others its not so important